Everything posted by Matt Bellamy
-
Sol Tekkaman Project
While Guyver is still sitting on a long hiatus, I got watching Tekkaman Blade again. And Tekkaman Blade 2. Yeah it's not great, but still has its own charms. Like the Sol Tekkaman armors. I really liked the green and yellow suits that were briefly used in the first episode, and wished they had been used more. I came to an even bigger realization... I had not seen any decent line art of them other than a really crappy small pic. I then also realized that the Sol Tekkaman armors from the Prague incident have no line art that I can find ever. So, since Guyver is on hiatus, I decided to draw me some Sol Tekkaman armors. I had recently picked up the Armor Plus Sol Tekkaman Unit 2 figure, and decided to start with the TV series suits first, since they are also bad ass. Plus I wanted to use them as a ground work for the later models. And now they are complete! I didn't draw Units 1, 1 Refit or 2 using their weapons because there is tons of line art (and fan art) of them already, but there was nothing of the Tekkaman Blade 2 units weapons so I decided to do them. Now, as for what is next...? I dunno. Maybe since I am still on a Tekkaman kick, I might actually do some actual Tekkamen. The finished proto-type for the Earth created Sol Tekkaman units. Built by the Allied Defense Forces using "stolen" data from the Space Knights data on the Tekkaman Voltekka system and their many attempts at making a powered armor. Piloted by Balzac, this unit uses a "Fermion cannon", which was developed by Dr. Marlo (Balzac's close friend) using the data Balzac "stole" ( in truth, Freeman gave him the data because he knew this would happen). The armor itself provides some strength enhancement, but it is not made for melee combat. It makes up for this with it's agility. With thrusters on the sides of the legs, and on the backpack, the Sol Tekkaman armor has great maneuverability and can hover along the ground at great speeds, jump great heights, and dodge incoming attacks easily. It is also capable of limited flight on its own. As well, the suit can be sealed so that the user can survive in space and under water. The Fermion cannon is able to destroy a Radam creature in a single shot (both ground and flying types), but it is ineffective against a Tekkaman. The Fermion cannon is a 2 part system: The Main cannon on the back, and the laser/trigger unit on the right arm. While the Arm unit can be used as a laser, it's primary function is to to be used with the back cannon. When combined, the Sol Tekkaman also has an extra visor unit placed over the head, and a small radom/shield off the side of the cannon that has an extra handle for the left arm to hold that provides extra aiming assistance and stability. Unit 1 is trashed by Tekkaman Evil while on a mission to try and take back the Space Ring. Balzac and a damaged Unit 1 survive and make it back to Earth, later to be brought back into action by the Space Knight team. Unit 1 undergoes an overhauling by Rebin as its cannon was destroyed in the previous battle, and the armor was still badly beat up from his encounter with Tekkaman Evil. When he uses the armor next it has a new weapon and some different armor features ( will be drawn as well) Though it is not shown in the TV series, this model of Sol Tekkaman was mass produced (other than Unit 2), and a couple units are briefly shown protecting Defense Force ships in space at the start of Tekkaman Blade 2; Though it was wielding a different model of cannon. More advanced units are soon deployed, so it is assumed that these units were older models that still remain in service. The 2nd Sol Tekkaman suit created by the Allied Defense Forces. Identical to Unit 1; except for color variances. The unit thus retains the arm laser/Fermion cannon weapons. Unit 2 was used by Space Knight Noal to defend the Allied Defense Forces base when he accidentally came upon the unmanned unit and a few technicians who were communicating with General Colbert. The technicians told Colbert that there was no pilot, and Colbert specifically said " Anyone will do!". Noal jumped at this chance, donned the armor and took to it almost unnaturally. After that incident, the Space Knights kept the armor and Noal remained its pilot for the the remainder of the TV series, until it's last fight; where Balzac wore it, with a proto-type cannon to try and kill Tekkaman Sword, while Noal piloted the Blue Earth. The cannon worked well enough, but Sword was able to damage the Blue Earth, sending all 3 of them hurtling towards Earth. Balzac did not give up however and he was able to do enough damage to Tekkaman Sword that he in Unit 2 and Tekkaman Sword burnt up on atmospheric re-entry. The Blue Earth and Noal crashed, but Noal survived. When Balzac joined the Space Knights later in the series, he brought with him a very damaged Sol Tekkaman suit. Rebin was able to repair and power up the unit with a few new additions. The Fermion cannon was destroyed, and since it wasn't needed, the laser/trigger mechanism was removed. Instead Rebin installed a dual Fermion turret system on the upper back. The two turrets can fire in all directions, that individually seem to lack a bit of power that the Fermion cannon has, but can still kill most Radam creatures in 1 or 2 shots. The helmet was also upgraded with addition sensors for the Fermion turrets. As well, Blazac carries a rifle created by the Allied Defense Forces for normal soldiers. It fires 3 metal spikes that seem to electrocute the target. It was never that effective against Radam by itself, so I don't know why it was included, unless Rebin improved it as well. The right armor was also fitted with a larger shield gauntlet. To use the Fermion turrets on ground, Unit 2 needs to hunch forward, so that it's back it upright. The user than can lean on the right arm shield, and legs have been slightly modified for this pose as well. Balzac continued to use the refitted Unit 1 until the end of the series. It is unknown what happen to this unit as it was never seen outright destroyed, though both Sol Tekkaman units do get regularly beat up pretty good, they are usually repaired between encounters. The Sol Tekkaman series has gotten a few upgrades over the years. Originally seen attacking the incoming Radam forces at the start of Tekkaman Blade 2, as well as during the events of Missing Link, seems to be the Space variant of the next generation Sol Tekkaman armors. Much like the older models, it is shown to be very agile in space, dodging around the incoming Radam creatures. In terms of attack power though, this model is quite different in terms of weapons than the older models. First off, it carries a long rifle under its arm, which is not back mounted. This rifle seems to be able to kill Radam creatures in a few quick hits. As well, this model also has another, more potent weapon: A Voltekker! Its shoulder armor opens to reveal two 3 lens Voltekker weapons. They fire a beam very similar to a Tekkaman Voltekker that is able to tear through multiple Radam creatures with ease. They don't seem to spread out like other Tekkaman Voltekkers and are more finely focused, possibly to stop weakening of the attack at distances. Unfortunately, this new model is just an ineffective against actual Tekkaman creatures. It is assumed that the Rifle would be totally ineffective, but it is unknown if its Voltekker would have any effect, as they never showed one being used on the alien Tekkamen. This pic includes the rifle and open Voltekker since they were only shown very briefly. After the first Radam invasion, the new Earth Government continued to build and upgrade the Sol Tekkaman suits. While it was unknown if there would ever be another invasion, the suits themselves were also just very efficient combat machines, and they weren't going to let that idea go to waste. It seems like they designs 2 sets of suits, one for Space use ( previously drawn) and one for use on Earth ( this one). With some differences in appearance here and there, the two suits seem to be basically the same, with just different maneuverability options due to the differences in Space and in gravity. They both carry the same long rifle, and the Earth model seems to have an under barrel attachment of some sort. Possibly a grenade launcher, but it is unknown exactly what it is. This model also can carry a large shield. As well, can be air launched with a removable parachute pack on its back. These units are most famous for being used in the Tekkaman uprising in Prague in Tekkaman Blade 2 that ended... Poorly. As well, it was seen being used by Space Knight Noal in Missing Link, before it is completely destroyed by the tornado being caused by Blade. This was likely retconned, even if Noal's disappearance was even more lame in Tekkaman Blade 2. This marks the end of the Sol Tekkaman armors!
-
New Chapter status?
For the freely available material? There is a bit more available online than that. The page you have there is from the monthly releases, but the the first couple ( bigger) chapters of volume 30 are out there that include this sequence, but it is part of a larger chapter. But there is not much more than this. We're not allowed to say specifically, but look around the different free manga sites. You should be able to find one or two with a bit more. I think there is 3 chapters of volume 30 available.
-
Website Update Thread
I've changed them for now, but am thinking of removing them entirely, as they are just random terms that have nothing to currently do with the forum or the general theme of the site. As it stands, after 100 posts, members can make their own titles anyway, so it really shouldn't effect much if we default them to Guyver terms instead.
-
Does Apollon's name help tell us who he is?
Most of the evidence points to it being Imakarum in the armor, but it's hard to say what his actual goal is at this point. All we know is that he has some kind of timeline ( could be related to Archanphel's health); that he is collecting the Zoalord Crystals of all Zoalords he can (not just of the 3 rogues); and that he is trying to keep Archanphel alive. Oh and that he wants "something" from Guyot...
-
Netflix: Castlevania
So Netflix's Castlevania "anime" has been released... And at 4 episodes long, it's more of a "What do you guys think...?" test, rather than a full season 1. Probably why "season 2" has already been approved and is 8 episodes... In order to add up to 12 for a proper season 1. And yes, since season "2" has already been announced, you can guess that, yes, it is pretty awesome. Reminds me a bit of Attack on Titan in that it is very medieval, and not afraid to show gore... But also has it's own gimmicks that keep it from being just a simple Fantasy Horror. Basically without spoiling too much... The series is retelling the NES game Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse, which is mostly famous for being tied to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. In the first 4 episodes we are eventually introduced to 3 of the 4 main characters of the game. If you have any interest in fantasy horror, I urge you to watch it. Definitely worth your time. I cannot wait for the next 8 episodes. Oh yes, and it is available in both English and Japanese, so you can choose your poison. The English version is very good though. Normally I prefer my Anime in Japanese, but the production values are really high on this, and the quality shows.
-
Final Stock Clearance Sale 1/6 Guyver Gigantic
That was kind of my thought too... I had missed out on the Bio-Fighter collection series of figures and really did not want to miss these... but the price was way too high until that one store put them on clearance when the company folded. It still hurt a bit to spend so much... But not as bad as their original prices.
-
Something that I'm curious about.
This is pretty much what I assume... We see old fat TV's in the early books, pre X-Day... But the newest books have big screen thin LCD-ish TV's ( and PS3 like systems) It's still a pretty ridiculous jump in technology, but it can sort of be explained in this way... Despite it only actually being only a few year span in the actual timeline itself.
-
How would you wrap up and end the Guyver series?
Yeah, it is assumed that because they were able to deliver the unit remover to Archanphel, they also took the remover and the dormant unit back.
-
Destiny 2
I watched it live ( while at work!) on the day of... And I gotta say I am liking what I am seeing. The biggest thing though? That it is still "Destiny" Sure the supers and weapons are changed up a bit, and we'll have a new ability... But it still FEELS like Destiny. They aren't tweaking the general control scheme at all. Which is perfect, as Destiny, despite ALL the flaws, still feels and plays extremely well. About the only thing I thought was weird was the announcement of the team of 4 crucible now. Kind of weird considering everything else that is kind of based on 3's... But then I am not a big crucible player, so it matters little to me.
-
New Chapter status?
My problem is, I see it as side tracking the creator... Especially when we haven't had a chapter in over a year. If his releases were more frequent I would have no problem... But as someone who has been reading and watching since about 1997 (geez, 20 years), and it's still not done? Yeah. There is only one thing I need. An ENDING.
-
New Chapter status?
I know I am in the minority, but I just want the manga finished. To hell with the current live action movies and merchandise. To hell with new figures and statues of the anime/manga. To hell with any new live action project or special projects. FINISH THE SOURCE MATERIAL FIRST. There is no point in doing new projects based on the story, if that story is never going to finish... And considering his output, that may never happen at this rate. To me, these pictures only prove that he is alive. So he can start working on the manga. *edit* ...even created an instagram account to say that... but nicer...
-
New Chapter status?
Which volumes did you get...? As there are currently 3 that the Advocacy has (30, 31 and 32). I think Guyvers problem itself isn't exposure, but Takaya himself. Erratic releases, and content that does not currently fit the wants of current times. If they re-boooted Guyver as a cute anime schoolgirl series, or a harem series, then its popularity would certainly rise... But other than that, it is long past its prime. I mean, WE like it, but new people starting off with the series will get turned off but the low quality and old art, and never get into the plot enough to enjoy it ( which is why I now recommend watching the 2005 TV series first. It at least is more modern and can be substituted for a lot of the early stuff). As for bringing in new fans, there is 29 volumes readily available online... But even so, with the erratic releases, Guyver will never be at the top of major manga sites because you need consistent releasing to even get on new release lists for people to find it. In short: Guyver is an old as hell series with a story framework that is also old as hell, and doesn't fit with the current popular trends ( ie boy with powers is still popular... but there is usually a harem attached to those kinds of series now... And Shonen ACE is full of).
-
New Chapter status?
Except they started doing this at the end of book 29. Book 32 was just released last year and we get a volume every 1-2 years (depending on breaks). They started doing this, sometime around 2012-2013. Takaya takes a break whenever he seems to work/help with other projects. He took a break when the Figmas were being planned, and now these Prime Statues. So not a coincidence at all, because it is totally unrelated. Maybe do a bit of research before trying to be a smart ass (on the site that helps provide said scanlations no less). Anyway, as noted, if you'd like to continue this conversation elsewhere, we can certainly do so. Guyver Manga Current Status: Still nothing from the publishers about new chapters. ...but hey, those expensive statues sure look nice... right...? ugh. *Edit for dates. Bad head math*
-
New Chapter status?
Interesting how the definition of "Stingy" can also mean "unwilling to spend" as well as "unwilling to give". Food for thought.
-
Does anyone feel like the Guyver is dead?
This is basically how Guyver has been it's entire run. Sometimes we get a lot of content/merch all at once... And then nothing for a while. But we still have a bunch of Guyver merchandise on the way, despite some of the pieces being very expensive. This is similar to 10 or so years ago after the 2005 TV series ended and the BioFighter figure line ended. It certainly is not the "right" way to be releasing a manga, but it is the way Takaya gets away with... And as fans, we have to put up with. So if you feel there is nothing for Guyver to offer you, then please move on. There is no reason to waste your time on something you don't feel is worth it. Take a year or two off from it. Focus on another hobby, or maybe just another series. The worst thing anyone can do is stick around and build up frustration because there isn't any new content. I stay a Guyver fan because I do side projects based on my own Guyver related creations. That's how I fight the drought of official content... but even then there was quite a few years were I basically did nothing Guyver related ( heck, I got burnt out on anime in General). And when I came back looking for something, I found new reasons to enjoy it. But as it stands, Guyver has not been cancelled. New content is expected. Eventually. And even if I cannot afford those expensive statues, they are officially licensed... So that mean someone is paying to have this stuff made because there is still interest in a 30+ year old series But what you do is up to you.
-
Getting back into drawing agan
Always wanted a Cintiq, but my brain could not comprehend drawing on the 13 inch ones and I always looked towards the 20+ inch models... but then I looked at the price... And figured the only way I'd ever get one, is if I started doing art professionally... Which never happened.
-
Getting back into drawing agan
I always love to see other artists "Sketchy side" Too often do we only ever see "finished pieces" ( I too am guilty of this -_-'), but the real fun is seeing the process and early drafts or just fun sketching.
-
Question in regards to this artist's Guyver art.
Well, to clarify, I'm not saying it's popular in Russia, just that there seems to be more active Russian fans than in comparison to here. Although it is actually still being released officially in Italian. Lots of fans there too. They just got book 32 released ( due to early numbering issues it is actually vol 44 for them). There is some pretty hardcore fans from there.( if you are on the Guyver World Facebook group, you can see what I mean) It was one of the first "real" or "non broadcast" anime I ever watched. I rented a bunch of stuff with a friend one weekend, which included the 6 episodes of the OAV ( they didn't even have the other 6), and they blew me away due to the animation style/quality, the plot and the music (the original Guyver theme is on permanent running in any playlist of mine)... and of course violence ( I was probably 15 or 16 at the time). Before then I had only seen what was on TV... Things like Robotech, Voltron, Dragonball, Dragonball Z and Sailor Moon... And they were edited to all hell. At the time, for me, it was one of the most original things I had seen... and didn't help that some of the other stuff we rented was only mediocre stuff. Those 6 eps of the OAV were easily some of the best stuff in terms of quality at the time, unless you went for theatrical features. Plus, I am also an "Iron Man Hipster" (ie I liked it before it was cool and mainstream) and have always loved powered armor... And the Guyver was an insane and bloody version of that. And it just stuck. Sadly, no. We have come back to start working on them again, but a lot of it is rewrites of really bad writing, plotting and style in the older stuff... But new stuff will be coming too, eventually. After all this time, we realize that no one but a small number of people even care, but we're only doing this for ourselves at this point, as we still find it fun and entertaining. So if anyone likes what we are doing at this point, it's all bonus! I used to really like the Kamen Rider series... But ever since 000's, I have not liked any of the series. I liked seasn 1 of Garo as well, but have not really cared for later seasons. But Kamen Ride Blade, Faiz and Kabuto were some of my favorites.
-
Question in regards to this artist's Guyver art.
Most of the Guyver artwork on my DA page is from the Warrior Guyver fanfiction or from "The Great War of the Guyvers" fanfcition (and are labeled as such)... But the two are connected in some ways... So basically yes, the majority of the artwork are fan fiction characters. I joined back in 1998 when "The Team" was technically just two people, Sully and Zeo1234, and I believe there was only 1 or 2 parts of the fanfic on the page. Only meant it as a small mention in my own fanfiction, but ended up being a lot more once we got chatting about Guyver ( protip: I love talking about Guyver. Hard to get me to shut up). That was 19 years ago. I was 17. We are old. So I wasn't an "Original member", in the strictest sense, but we all doubt it would have gotten as big as it did if we hadn't teamed up. I visited all the Guyver sites back then... There wasn't much info at the time, and there was no message boards like this... at all, during that time... Until David Carpenter/Evilfx ( bioweapons.com ) put up a simple one... But up until that point it was all about guestbooks. And there was only one really good place to go for information called "Stars Guyver Page", which eventually had info up to volume 15, and all it had was written synopsis. We eventually opened up our own phpbb forum when they came out, and for a while it was pretty successful. We had our ups and downs with staff and members, and during that time, theguyver.net was created... but what really killed it, was our board had gotten hacked a few times...and lots of data was lost... And eventually was kinda just left to rot... But that was due to numerous factors, including waning interest in Guyver due to what seemed like inactivity from Japan... but also life. I still poked around the site and theguyver.net over the years... Which eventually took on the new name of japan-legend.com as the majority of members/staff who were fans of Guyver were declining so much... And we had taken a liking to Japanese Tokusatsu shows ( Sentai, Kamen Rider ect...) And here we are today. The last bastion of English speaking Guyver fandom ( the Guyver still seems pretty popular in Russia though. http://guyver-world.ru/ seems to have more traffic than us), except for occasional random posts on other forums. There's 19 years of history wrapped up. ---------------------------- As for convincing Lucithea to come here? You can always try, but again, as she has mentioned, she is not good with english at all, and judging by her output of art right now, Guyver seems to be on the back burner for her right now... And would not be surprising at all considering lack of new chapters. I would suggest not to. If you have any questions for her specifically, a message through DA would probably just be the easiest.
-
Question in regards to this artist's Guyver art.
Lucithea is a Russian artist who doesn't have anything to do with the Advocacy or this site... But she is indeed quite the excellent fan artist (I turned her basic Alfa design into a Gigantic once. Her design just inspired me out of the blue) She does frequent Cannibals site and forum ( http://guyver-world.ru/ ).. But it is all in Russian. And she has mentioned on her DA and to me in correspondence that She does not speak English very well at all and relies on a translator for communication in English.
-
Destiny 2
If the last DLC's are any evidence... They seem to at least acknowledge that we want story... And not just Cayde... but Cayde is fun. I mean we still have so many unanswered questions... ( granted of a 10 year plan, we are technically 3 years in already) Where that goes, I guess we will just have to wait and see. I have a PS4, but I play on my XB1 for most things, mainly because of the controller and my friends... but mainly for the controller. Have always preferred the Xbox controller... And the normal one for the XB1 is great, but my Elite is fantastic.
-
Destiny 2
Up until I read your post I had completely forgotten about the Exo Stranger. Shit. The main plot for this doesn't seem like she'd be involved at all. Almost sounds like they are scrapping the (meh) main story from year one and making it feel like it was DLC... And that Crota and Oryx were the main campaign rather than the Vex plotline.( It seems to be more of a "This is how you met the Queen who was whupped by Oryx"). I mean I hope not... And hopefully they have learned that we want a good story alongside all that loot...
-
Destiny 2
"Reveal" Trailer is up. Just another cinematic that doesn't explain much. Still... More Cayde being Cayde.
-
Destiny 2
Oh Cayde... Just keep being Cayde you beautiful bastard.
-
Anyone else love OVA 12?
While the first 6 episodes of the OAV were simply amazing, and have great animation, even by some of today's standards... The second half really suffered from a much lower budget and what looks like swapping of animation studios. But episodes 11 and 12 seemed to be done by the same people who did the first 6, but still on a smaller budget, so it lacked the dynamic coloring and shading of the first 6... But since both episodes were not only very important plot moments but also well animated, it certainly makes them stand out a lot more.