New Guyver Artbook in July(2023)!

Matt Bellamy

20230727_181632.thumb.jpg.b995782ff7a7c59f59086ca4d3961d82.jpg

They're here!

And honestly, it is what I expected... But I am still a bit disappointed. It's mostly all the manga covers and such over the years un-obstructed by the title text and the like, and some that got cut off to fit on a page or for a 2 page spread (there are no 2 page spreads here. They were flipped on their side to fit on one page)

Beautiful to look at for sure. Just not a lot of substance.

I know I shouldn't have expected something like the Visual Data Files book... But I am still glad I got it. Would have been even better with a HD digital scan.

...also, mine came slightly damaged. The top left corners are bent. Not happy about that at all.

My Shonen Ace issues were a little delayed, but finally arrived, and I got my posters in very good condition.

Thankfully monthly manga volumes are freaking THICC and sturdy as hell, so there was no damage.

I hoped and prayed that there might be some more Guyver info, but sadly, it was all just promoting the Artbook... But I only bought it for the poster anyway. Here it is with the A4 paper sized artbook for reference.

20230729_145136.thumb.jpg.e88a4b2bf4ba740d8e045ff5a372d722.jpg
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, guyverfan said:

20230731_122812.jpg

Looks like a message from Takaya.  It's a little blurry for me to make out but it says something like after the serialization way back in 85, he always wanted to release a book about his Guyver Illustration from a long time ago .  And mentions something about comics cover, foldout pinup, various jackets, figrure package and etc.  Message was made last June 2023.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, durendal said:

Looks like a message from Takaya.  It's a little blurry for me to make out but it says something like after the serialization way back in 85, he always wanted to release a book about his Guyver Illustration from a long time ago .  And mentions something about comics cover, foldout pinup, various jackets, figrure package and etc.  Message was made last June 2023.

Nice! Thanks durendal. Its been too long my friend.

Yes, the book contains mostly all of the novel illustration covers and also, to my surprise, box cover art of the original figures. I'd throw up some scans/pics if anyone wants, but I'm sure Matt's onto it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, guyverfan said:

Nice! Thanks durendal. Its been too long my friend.

Yes, the book contains mostly all of the novel illustration covers and also, to my surprise, box cover art of the original figures. I'd throw up some scans/pics if anyone wants, but I'm sure Matt's onto it.

Yes please! I'd absolutely love to see some of those scans! 

No, Matt said he won't be posting any scans because this is a new publication that is reasonably easy to buy.

The artbook may not say anything about the manga returning, but the manga is currently on sale at 33yen per volume on digital manga stores. you can get it on amazon japan and read via kindle. That adds to the likelihood of the manga resuming.

Edited by Tora Tan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 5:39 AM, Bio-Boosted Dude said:

I'm surprised that's a recent illustration, the proportions of the guyver look very much like the early style of the 80s. at any rate, it's very nice to see that there's at least one new illustration in the book - he's still got it!

That is not a new images, that image is from 1987. It says so in the text just to the right of it.

There is sadly no new images past 2016. The books states 1985-2023... But there literally is no art newer than the pages/cover from 2016.

On 8/2/2023 at 6:13 PM, Tora Tan said:

No, Matt said he won't be posting any scans because this is a new publication that is reasonably easy to buy.

The artbook may not say anything about the manga returning, but the manga is currently on sale at 33yen per volume on digital manga stores. you can get it on amazon japan and read via kindle. That adds to the likelihood of the manga resuming.

Havent found a site that sells the digital edition for 33 yen.  Can you help me with a link?

I also bought the amazing Guyver illustration book!

The paper is high quality as well, and very pleasing to the eyes in that huge format.

Interesting, I saw this female Guyver 2 drawing on the internet many times, and thought it was fan art...but it is a real unused concept art. 

IMG_20230728_140058375.jpg

IMG_20230728_145553584.jpg

IMG_20230729_0253274412.jpg