Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

durendal

On 7/26/2022 at 8:40 PM, durendal said:

Is it just me or does this have a similar flavour to that of DC's Flashpoint, particularly the Atlantis vs Themyscira part.  Or this is probably one of Marvel's tactics to troll us.

Firstly, what are they going to say happened to Chadwick Boseman's character, since he passed away? 

How are they going to fill that gap in? Because that's going to be needed to be addressed in this movie. I'm not seeing that in the trailer, at all. 

5 hours ago, MrDawn said:

Firstly, what are they going to say happened to Chadwick Boseman's character, since he passed away? 

How are they going to fill that gap in? Because that's going to be needed to be addressed in this movie. I'm not seeing that in the trailer, at all. 

Now that's what I want to find out.  I'd be strange to recast T'chala and I'm sure retiring the character was the wishes of the producers to honor Chadwick Boseman.  I do remember in the comics Shuri taking up the mantle.  Could they be also following the same trend?  Then again, like I said, Marvel is a troll genius, and they may be doing the same thing.  We'll see in a few months when they release a newer trailer.  Seeing this movie would be the end of Phase 4, I expect a lot of things.  The burden of expectation is indeed heavy in this movie.

14 hours ago, durendal said:

Now that's what I want to find out.  I'd be strange to recast T'chala and I'm sure retiring the character was the wishes of the producers to honor Chadwick Boseman.  I do remember in the comics Shuri taking up the mantle.  Could they be also following the same trend?  Then again, like I said, Marvel is a troll genius, and they may be doing the same thing.  We'll see in a few months when they release a newer trailer.  Seeing this movie would be the end of Phase 4, I expect a lot of things.  The burden of expectation is indeed heavy in this movie.

I wonder if this is probably taking place between Infinity Wars and Endgame from when he was temporarily erased by the Infinity Stone gauntlet. That would be a way they could get away with not having to explain his absence in this movie and to avoid it entirely. Fans don't want him replaced with another actor, which is understandable. But it wouldn't be a bad thing. Marvel replaced Edward Norton with Mark Ruffalo and Terrence Howard with Don Cheadle for those super hero roles. At some point I think they should just replace him for the sake of future films. 

Edited by MrDawn

I'm pretty sure this is after Endgame.  They've shown murals of T'chala that seems like paying tribute, which denotes his passing, much like how they did it for Tony Stark.  There's also no point setting this before Endgame as this is the final movie of this phase and definite change is coming.

I'm also not sure about this, but apparently Riri Williams is now Wakandan?  Or perhaps something occurred that places her in Wakanda?  Unless I'm mistaken.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

went to see the movie today. was mostly enjoyable, very enjoyable actually, but there was an element that I felt detracted from it.

[spoiler]
I feel like Riri wasn't a very well developed character and felt out of place. There was no sense that she really had any challenge creating her machines, it was just like; need a thing, make a thing. It made her feel somewhat like a mary-sue. Her inclusion in the finale also seemed to make it all feel quite jumbled. There was A LOT going on and I felt the individual elements lacked impact as a result. I feel like this movie would have been better if the ironheart aspect of her character was relegated to the background. After all, we are going to be getting Armour-wars, surely we will see her in a much better light when that comes out? [/spoiler]

I maintain they should have folded Riri in with Shuri's character. They did it anyway for the first BP; Shuri in the comics was a wildly different character.

It could have worked very well: have the council refuse to let her pick up the mantle of the Panther due to her age (or god forbid, gender) and have her, out of frustration, build the Ironheart armor to prove she is capable. The Ironheart identity is to conceal her own, to reveal it after she has proven herself, and also to honor Tony Stark's sacrifice (she was initially not taken with him as he represented everything she dislikes about Western culture, but his death won her over).

At the end she can exchange it for the Panther identity, maybe keeping the armor in modified form. Boom! New armored hero from the world's most technologically advanced nation.

I enjoyed the movie, but still felt that Leticia Wright wasn't able to properly fill the role of Black Panther.  This may be due to the Charisma that exuded Chadwick Boseman, which Leticia lacked.  Especially when Shuri declared "Yibambe" (or something), it's not as powerful as that of T'challa.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...