Alien Covenant

Shin Mefilas

23 hours ago, Salkafar said:

Why Prometheus, though?

I get that it wasn't popular with many alien franchise fans, but I honestly don't think it's that unusual. Ridley Scott directed Alien and then the rest were by other people. Prometheus was the return to the same director doing the same kind of thing. I found a lot of similarities in the pacing, the presentation etc. both movies are very beautiful. Both movies have strong characters who I can relate to.

I was never as much a fan of Aliens, Alien 3, Alien resurrection, as I was Alien. I felt like they went more in an action movie direction. Prometheus brought it back to What Alien was for me.

I think maybe this is a big difference between me and most alien fans I have met. Most people usually say Aliens is much better than Alien. obviously they are looking for something very different to what I am looking for.

When you consider that Alien was primarily about being vulnerable and running away, you might say that Prometheus is the same. they are completely out of their league with no hope of fighting. They are up against something terrifying and unknown.

Thank you for posing the question, I enjoyed writing that :D

It actually brings me on to reaffirm what I did not like about Covenant. It was Ridley doing something that is out of his comfort zone. He was not being true to himself. He should have gotten another director to do it if he just wanted to pander to the fans.

What I did not like about Prometheus was how dumb it was, mainly.

Alien is almost perfect because of how simple it is. The entire movie is a growing, strangling, mounting panic attack at the increasing realization that we should not be in outer space. It's Lovecraftian horror. The title says it all.

Then, thirty years later, the same director takes the same movie universe and attempts to tell a completely different kind of story while using the same atmospheric elements - tries to make some deep philosophical points that fall flat on their ass because nothing about them makes sense, it's B-movie science. And even as it fails, it takes a dump on the original movie.

Prometheus is Scott's 'Phantom Menace'.

Ha Ha Ha :lol:
perhaps I shouldn't mention that I preferred the prequel trilogy to the original trilogy of star wars :tongues:

what you say about the philosophies that fall on their face... I actually take that as character flaws. a lot of this philosophy is delivered through character dialogue and action. I see this as purely character flaws, that they are looking for something spiritually fulfilling and in the end they just get cold harsh reality. The film never says any stuff outright. the beginning suggests that the engineers created life on earth, but it isn't shown unquestionably. the biological material that goes into hte water may simply be one part among many. i actuality, I'm not even sure if it is stated explicitly that the planet in the intro is earth.  A lot of the theme of the movie is merely character motivation.

I feel like the foundation of the movie, taking out character motivations, is the same as Alien.

Edit:
I just rewatched the beginning. I get the feeling that the 'engineer' did what he did to implant some form of genetic memory among the cells of lifeforms on that planet. if it was earth. it probably was. I think that is what it was suggesting. because I can't think of any other reason why these ancient cultures would be drawing a star chart.

Edited by Tora Tan

where did that come from? it's not in the movie is it?
maybe Ridley Scott said that but maybe he was joking?

or is it a rumour?  I know there is a lot of people who might say something like that to discredit the movie, but I guess you read it in an interview or something?