Choice for phones

durendal

I told myself not to buy another phone until next year, but my phone is starting to die on me. I had it for like 4 years now and I normally wouldn't change phones unless necessary. But dropping a call when I'm right in the middle of a conversation is just not right anymore.

Anyways, I've narrowed down my choices for two phones. And it is still Nokia phones. I do understand that there are better phone manufacturers out there with more complete features, but I don't want to have to adopt to another system again.

So I was wondering if any of you guys have any idea about the Nokia 6600 fold and the Nokia 6267. I've been thinking about which of these two I'm getting and I'm really not sure which is better. I actually want to know what are the bad features of these phones so I can compare, as every review site I've been to doesn't really tell me what I want to know.

So what would you guys recommend. Any help would be highly appreciated.

well i myself am a lover of nokia phones, i usually swap between matorola's and nokia's, but my last two have been nokia's, the n91 and my current phone, the n95.

the 6000 series to me are at the lower end of the scale, but as you said you only replace ur phone once every 4 yrs (jeez, i've only had my n95 a yr, an i'm already wantin a new one, lol)

anyway, here are the cons i have heard about these two phones.

the 6600 has a poor battery life, with no warning, not very good earpiece quality, and aparently, the automatic opening feature only opens when it wants to. also the ringing tone is quite tinny, at times you can't even hear it.

the 6267 only has a few weak points, these being it adds background colour to actual object photo, the earphones provided are poor quality, and the main display is faint, display brightness control is missing.

i see you like flip phones. if you didn't, then i would recommend the 6300. but thats me, lol. actually if it were me buyin a new phone, i would buy the n95. but then again, i have no idea wat features you want from a phone, and wat ur price range is, and whether its contract or pay as you go ur after.

Well, that's actually one of the difficulty I'm having. In terms of looks I favor the 6600, but when it comes to functionality, the 6267 proves to be the better one.

And yes, I do like the flip phones, or clam type as we call them.

Mostly the basic feature I want is being able to call and send text messages. Also a few perks wouldn't hurt, like MP3 player, a built in camera, hot swap memory would be nice. I would also want to be able to customize my ring tone. Bluetooth and GPRS that doesn't use googlemaps would be optional.

I'm not really particular about the price range as I'm very practical. As long as the phone meets my requirements then I'm sold. Also, it needs to last a number of years. the longest I had was my Nokia 7110 which lasted me 6 years.

Recommendations are also welcome. Thanks.

Edited by durendal

in terms of lastability, I personally wouldn't go for any of those.

they both look pretty poor in terms of build quality.

this is why i trust sony ericsson. they are very robust.

the phone i would get if i were to upgrade is the Sony Ericsson W890i http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/m.../overview/w890i

the Nokia 6085 looks nice, all the basic features I need. I'll take a look at it.

For the Sony Ericsson W890i, took a look at it, but the design is kinda iffy. I don't know, it doesn't look appealing to me. Perhaps because its designed to be a walkman phone and not a business phone.

The reason I like the flip phones because I carry my phone in my pant pockets and I would like the keypad to be covered to prevent accidental dialing, either by flip, slide or twist. Initially I liked the slide phone, as my last phone the Nokia 7110 was a slider. But watching the series 24 made me want to get the flip type. I'm currently using a Nokia 6260. I seem to have this habit of choosing phones that gets discontinued rather quickly.

Well, after some searching and researching, I've stumbled upon the Nokia E66. Specification here: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_e66-2426.php

Well, mostly covers most of my basic requirements, and also have the GPRS. Form factor looks okay, as the keypad is covered. Although I wonder about the navigational keys if I might accidentally call someone using the redial key. Would you guys recommend this phone? Or do you guys have some other units. Also not all units are available in our region. for example, the 6650 which I see a lot online does not exist where I at.

i think it looks nice.

the build quality looks a lot better than the others you listed.

the buttons on hte front might cause a problem though. even though the keypad is hidden, the navigatrions buttons can sometimes get pressed. it happens on my phone sometimes. never accidentally called someone though.

Cool, enjoy.

i think it looks nice.

the build quality looks a lot better than the others you listed.

the buttons on hte front might cause a problem though. even though the keypad is hidden, the navigatrions buttons can sometimes get pressed. it happens on my phone sometimes. never accidentally called someone though.

There's usually a button you can press and hold to activate the hold feature to make those buttons unresponsive if that ever becomes a problem.

Ok, I think I'm having a little difficulty and I hope you guys can help. You see, the phone I got was bought from a friend of a relative, it was much cheaper and it was good. But it's not the version I wanted. It's the same model, but the make is different. I wanted a unit that can support Chinese language, but unfortunately, seeing that the unit was delivered to me I guess I can't do anything about it anymore.

Now my predicament. I want to know how to install Chinese language in my phone. I've read that you can add the language if you updated the firmware. But I'm not sure how this goes about. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the link. I guess the nokia website in our region is rather useless. I am quite puzzled with the dictionary app. I don't really need the dictionary but the ability to send and recieve chinese text messages. and I'm not really sure the dictionary app can do that as I've read somewhere that you still can't send sms in other languages with those installed. I guess I'll have to try it our when I get home.

Thanks again for the links.

very often, you need special hardware to connect up and fully access the firmware.

around here, we usually have a guy in some indipendant retailer that can unlock phones, that same guy would be able to rewrite the firmware, i should expect.

but it might be too costly to be worth it.

Guys like that are a dime a dozen over here. All they have is a cable connected to the phone and special software. I'm not going to spend on something that I can easily do. In the newer models, I think Nokia made it possible to flash your phones yourself, which I did, because they included a usb cable with the phone packaging. Damn, I can't see chinese fonts and I can't seem to install the GPS navigation. Nokia maps are really disappointing.

Yup, Chinese was not included. That's what I always do when I get a new phone, check the language settings and make sure that Chinese was available. Unfortunately, I was not the one who bought the phone. I specifically said China make, and when it was handed to me I saw "Made in Korea".

It's really annoying. I've read that you can change this when you upgrade your firmware, but when I upgrade, it didn't even let me choose a language.

I don't think that getting the update from a Chinese website will do the trick as based on my observations, the update will check your phone and see what kind of update it can get.

Well, I've been doing a little research and it seems that I need to change the product code of the phone in order to receive the equivalent firmware update. I will try to test the Nemesis Service Suite tonight to change my product code and see if I can get the language pack of the other product code.

So far, I really can't enjoy my phone much because of the language issue. Until I successfully acquire the language, I will try my hand in fixing the GPS navigation.