Resin project needing input!

river_chaos

Hi!  Long time, no posts, lol.  

If any of you have kept up with my blog, then you'll know I've been making some charms made from resin cast in silicon molds.  Most of my mold shapes are more "retro" and "nerdy" stuff like a Nintendo Gameboy, Switch, Switch Joycons, My Hero Academia characters, Hamtaro (yes I found someone that made a cute little Ham Ham), and Legend of Zelda symbols.  I haven't made my own casting molds because 1) it's just as expensive to make as casting resin, 2) we have a little German Shepherd pup that sheds like crazy and her fur gets EVERYWHERE, and 3) I didn't have a solid way of making blanks for mold making until a few months ago.  My boyfriend and one of our roommates went in together to buy a 3D printer to start making their costume props faster and sturdier (to an extent), and they've both seen my mold stash and wondered if I'd want to start making my own molds.  

So now we come to this post.  I want to make some Guyver related stuff, and I don't know where to start.  Should I go for the inactive Guyver Unit? Or something else that can translate well into a 3D print? This isn't laser cutting (I'm not gonna get some super fine details that could make a chibi Ramotith tag), but I can get a lot of texture with the printer I've got access to along with the software to build the model before it's printed.  

I'm open to suggestions!

Instagram: anna.smith.545 (for all of my resin related pictures)

Edited by river_chaos

what kind of printer is it? if its a resin printer then even the cheaper ones have surprising amounts of detail. i have a monoprice filament printer but havent tried any guyver stuff either. i use 3D builder on win 10 to make stuff but the options there arent good enough for me to try a guyver. that im a bit intimidated.

the filament printers a bit cheaper, but even the quality isnt up there with a resin, even so i do get some decent looking prints out, my main problem is the bottom surface that is parallel to the build plate, i cant seem to get it to have any form or look to it. im saving up money to get a resin so i can try.

how big are your casts molds going to be?

so far the only chiron printers i found is the Anycubic Chiron 3d FDM printer.  that thing has a massive build volume.  

im looking to update my filament printer to a larger platform so i might get one that size, but i want to get a resin printer first. i do a lot miniature gaming, and i hate spending like 20 dollars or more for a single figure. and i like to have ARMIES. lol.

so how does the resin work for you all? i heard it is a bit annoying having to wash the resin off and then curing it. i looked it up online, but i always rather talk to people who have experience with it.   it was the only way i got my 1st 3d printer working decent. it was a disaster at first.

Yeah, we haven't used resin after one try (it was bad).  They switched filaments afterwords to acrylic and are planning on getting a smaller resin specific printer for the more detailed stuff for cosplays.  

I mainly do the resin casting, and one thing with the filament we've got is that I can make a design with a container structure around it so I can just file it smooth and start pouring silicone to make molds instead of butchering our worn out tupperware and wasting a crap-ton of hot glue.  I've also found that any type of resin will be affected by the weather, especially if it's about to rain (air pressure change/drop in temperature screws up the curing process no matter what you do).  The down side to this is that the printer needs to be calibrated regularly; we forgot once, never again.  

i just ordered a resin printer today, the photon s.   i'm a little nervous about playing with it, but im super excited at being able to print with it. hopefully i wont have a distastrous fubar of a first time.   fingers crossed. the print volume is a bit tiny, its 4.5 inchs by 6 inchs by 2 inches.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to master clear prints, so can get some cool glossy clear things built. I figure some items will look cool like that, and with this green, it'll give it a jade statue look.

As you can see, I'm not to savy on the particulars of that part.20200209_122955.thumb.jpg.909a33109b1840368ebab7a18190aff1.jpg

20200217_180410.thumb.jpg.1984089a11463e682628f9c405e6af52.jpg

And a multi legged monster spider I tried to print for a game I got coming up.

20200208_010920.jpg

• Like 1