Addressing the elephant in the room...

Just started re-reading The Guyver from the beginning, since the books are just collecting dust on my shelf, when I started thinking about something that I'm sure must have crossed a few minds other than just mine.

3 decades into the story and we still don't seem to have an ending anywhere in sight. Still LOTS of things that need to be addressed too.

...and the whole epic story is dragging along at 10 pages a month. 

I'm just gonna come out and say this but, is anybody else worried that the story will ever be finished before Takaya dies?

He's getting old. he's very slow. His editor needs to give the guy a kick up the bottom for real because considering how many new characters have shown up in the past few years, and snailpace at which this is going on, I'm finding it increasingly harder to stay hopeful that we'll ever get a proper ending due to some unforeseen complication on Takaya's part. 

I KNOW i'm not alone as some of the book reviews on Amazon.jp voice the exact same concern. more than a year between each volume release has filled the Japanese fans with worry too it seems...

SO, what do you guys think? I don't wanna be a negative nancy but I'm not so confident we'll get a proper ending. 

Anybody feel like putting my mind at rest?

Edited by TricoBren
  • Like 4

I can understand and somewhat agree. The fact it is still going at all is a miracle. I have the highest hopes that it will end well and satisfy all that have read it. Story wise this manga is awesome. Art wise even better. I'm happy that it's still going but would like to see the pace pick up some. I think no matter the ending... Good or bad... We will all be sad to see it come to an end. 30 years for 31 volumes is not a great pace to be sure. One has to give hom credit for keeping it going though. Here's to hoping the end is done as well as the beginning!

• Like 1

I suppose it is a bit of a plus then, that he is killing off the Zoalords... But introducing Female Guyver 2, re-introducing Guyot, and Apollyon ( if he is indeed a different character) certainly does seem like a bit of padding. Though Guyot as the "End Boss" would be pretty fitting.

I would hope that he would have the rest of the series planned out on paper, so that if something DID happen to him, that someone might be able to either continue and/or release it for the public.

• Like 1

I'm sure that after 30 years he knows where he wants to go with the story. We might never seen it through his own work, but I'm hopeful that we see the conclusion. After hearing that he is looking to hire help, I'm sure that he has already thought about it.

• Like 1

I still have faith we'll see an ending, but what that entails is entirely subjective at this point as Takaya keeps moving the goal posts.

Jabir, Krumeggnic and Guyot are arguably the last 3 "Villains" left. The former currently have their hands full with Agito which I don't think will end well for them (Similarly to the Waferdanos/Yentsui battle).

It'll then be interesting to see how Guyot fairs without their aid as I don't believe the alliance with Valkyria will last much longer and she may even be the one to finish him off once she gets what she wants.

Shin, (likely Barcus) and team "Guyver I" are united now against the threat of Apollyon, meanwhile Alkanphel, Mizuki and Tetsuo all appear to be getting along, and once the identity of Apollyon is revealed we may see a complete Zoalord/Guyver alliance formed (especially if Apollyon is who some of us suspect him to be)

The only real unknowns for me at this point are when the Ark and the Uranus will have their big moments. If the remaining Zoalords and Guyvers combine forces with the Ark as their weapon against the returning Uranus intent on destroying earth then I would be very happy with that kind of ending.

Takaya is only 55 and he's been writing Guyver since he was 25. He could have another 30 years left in him, (look at writers like Shigeru Mizuki and Stan Lee, both in their 90's)

I'd like to hope Kadokawa would intervene in 10 years if the pace is still slow and the story is miles from ending, but hopefully Takaya has the rest of Guyver already planned and the editors are onboard.

Edited by Kanji
  • Like 2

Experience has taught me that a story can get completely out of hand. The problem is that he introduced a bunch of hella powerful opponents early on and now he has to get rid of them. The rebellion ensured they couldn't gang up on the Guyver and split up the problem, and Apollon got rid of one, as well.

...What annoys me is that the parties are acting as if they're in a game, where you have to take turns. And not in a war, where you strike as soon as it is strategically beneficial. The Zoalords are staggeringly ineffective, almost inert, in dealing with the Guyver. Frankly, Archanfel and Barcas seem to have made some pretty poor choices, since none of the guys seem to have anything of the general in them.

• Like 1

:G1:   I have worried about the same thing. I have been a fan of this manga since I discovered the orginal OVAs back in the late 80's/early 90's, so it's been a long time. I have often worried about this story not being finished. On top of all the characters and situations that have been introduced, as well as the story twists and continuing plot threads, we have yet to see the battle forms for Balcas, that one zoalord that has not appeared since the attack of all the zoalords combined on Mt. Minakami (I think that's the name). I can't remember that guy's name, but he looks like he's made out of rock. We still have to see him in action. I would think that this story has about 20 more books to go, at least....  :G3:

To be honest it's been feeling like we've been heading toward an ending for a while now.  Not counting Shizu, Alk and Guyot there are only 6 Zoalords left alive, two of which are currently fighting and will likely die, and things are looking to be coming to a head with Apollion soon as well.

I imagine the ending will be a showdown with Guyver Guyot (it's got to happen) and Sho.

To put this into perspective, Berzerk is STILL going and the last chapter introduced a new group traveling to a new destination with not a single pannel of Guts and co. 

we have yet to see the battle forms for Balcas, that one zoalord that has not appeared since the attack of all the zoalords combined on Mt. Minakami (I think that's the name). I can't remember that guy's name, but he looks like he's made out of rock. We still have to see him in action.

Galenos. Tuathá de Galenos, whose name is odd, since it means 'the people of the god Galenos'. I guess the implication is that he's Celtic or something, which I thought would be covered with Caerleon. He hasn't even spoken a single word since it was retconned (originally he spoke Guyot's name, but that was altered in the edited versions of the older volumes).

He breathes fire. We already know at least one Zoanoid could merge with the landscape. Maybe he becomes a volcano? A giant, humanoid, ambulatory volcano. How does one stop a volcano? To quote a geologist: "You don't." Another theory I had was that maybe his power involves radioactivity. Guyot's power was gravity, Prukshutal's was electromagnetism, I am guessing their force fields (Especially what Jabir and Clumeggnigg are doing now) could involve the strong nuclear force... so why not the weak nuclear force? Yentsui's ability seemed to be quantum-mechanical in nature (Contrasting nicely with Waferdanos'  intensely organic powers), and Caerleon's 'casting threedimensional shadows from a pocket dimension' power reminded me of the angel Leliel from 'Evangelion' - another quantum effect, in this case a Dirac Sea.

As for Barcas: Wasn't it suggested during the battle in Arizona that once he takes on his battleform, he can't switch back? If that is true, it's more like a conversion. His power is psychic - the mind. He is Chronos' most powerful telepath even in human form. So... perhaps, when he changes, he becomes pure psychic energy.  No baroque organic warrior form, but only a mass of structured energy. Like the final form of Onslaught.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Its been a while since I posted but here are my thoughts.

As mentioned earlier, there are other manga authors that are still continuing their works like Kentaro Miura, Yoshihiro Togashi, George Morikawa, and others who are famously known for their slow pacing or long hiatus periods. Guyver is no different, it has small periods where all the chapters that we have were done in a small period of time with long idle unproductive time in between. Since Guyver is Takaya's only major work, I believe he's just dragging the series out for reasons that he only knows (could be that that series is his life support for his career/reputation, or other more personal reasons). IMO I think that Takaya will finish the story in 20 years (give or take), and it would be very unlikely that anything would happen to him within that time that would prohibit him from doing so, and as others had previously stated, the series has developed so much, that Takaya will have good control over how he'll end it. With a lot of thought put into its development, Guyver will most likely end well considering the fact that Takaya has had so much time in working on it, plus its his magnum opus, Guyver is literally his life! (This is assuming however Guyver remains supported throughout that time and doesn't get dropped)

I honestly love guyver and I've rechecked all of the previous chapters and I feel that the ending will involve some sort of Armageddon, in the since that the creators will arrive and in my opinion either them or their "enemy" will be the main villians and chronos/or guyver one's team will probably be humanities only resistance against them. From seeing how events have turned out, and previous hints, I feel that the story might head that direction (I could be wrong though). It would be interesting though if there was a thread started about important things that have to be answered before the series ends.

• Like 3

I honestly feel like the story is just going on and on. Guyver to me is a really stretched out story that doesn't seem to be going any where with short chapters with constant cliff hangers. As much as I have enjoyed the story behind it all. I have long since moved on to greener pastures because often stories with no ending tend to lose my interest through time. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I feel it is coming to an end. Probably within the next ten years. All it would take is a massive battle to get rid of the last of the zoalords. Whether it's against Guyot or Alkanphel or Apollyon.

I also feel we may see one more transformation of the Gigantic. Just a gut feeling that the Exceed will find itself too large to fight a small normal sized opponent. So maybe Gigantic Guyver forces the Exceed to go mini Exceed. Maybe when he does that he undergoes a mutation or not. Then it's Japanese and they love their giant monsters.

Like I said all it would take one massive battle to kill off the zoalords. Gigantic Guyvers defeat the big Boss ans probably have to defeat Agito too. Then remove Sho's unit so you got that finality where he finally a normal guy.

I feel it is coming to an end. Probably within the next ten years.

That is gold. :lol:

Ten years? Hahaha!! No thanks!

I want this finished in the next 2 years. Takaya is taking the piss now quite frankly. :(