Sign in to follow this  
Demon King Zennon

Event Stories in Comics

I seems like whenever I so much a glance at main stream western comics their seems to be another event comic starting up. While I dont hate Events it seems that some of them are done just because.....because. The ones I'm thinking of are poorly written, ignore cannon and are pointless in the end. On that note I'm curieuse as to what some of you think and what Events stood out to you as very good or bad.

For a recent Event that pissed me right off DC's Trinity War. WHAT THE F##K! Your telling me that that the whole plot and all build up was just a glorified prolog for YOUR NEXT DAMNED EVENT STORY! Not only that but to do it, they have to throw a giant, out of left fieuld revalashion (its not magic its science....ow and it helps create transdimensional portals) that renders the whole plot of Trinirty War pointless.

For events I like there was an odd little one that happend in the Dark Horse Comics back in the 90s. Hunting the Heroes - Predators Attack. In this Event Dark Horse who have made severaly Predator crossovers with Batman, Superman, Judge Dredd and even Magnus - The Robot Fighter set the alien hunter on some of their own super heros.

X - a dark anti-hero vigilante with little true feeling and a strong tendency to kill.

X_0.jpg

Ghost - A woman with the power to teleport and become intangible.

APR120013.jpeg

Motorhead - a drifter with an alien artifact called the Motor bonded to him.

1641682-motorhead_special__coyote_ubisof

Law - The Dictator of Golden City

225289-19559-116959-1-agents-of-law.jpg

While not haveing any real effect on the the overarking stories of the characters (save one) I find this little Event just....fun. The Events just an excuse to let us watch heroes and predators got to town on eachother. Intestingly Law's comics weren't selling well at the time so Dark Horse decided to cancel them, After ownly 6 issues in his own solo comic Law was killed by the Predator and has never been seen in a comic since.

6518698.jpg

Edited by AdolphusStrigoi

Well, for DC, they used to have a very good story compared to their rival.  I enjoyed their Identity Crisis, Countdown, 52 and a lot of other story arcs.  The last good event that I read was Flashpoint.  After that, DC revamped the whole universe and I stopped reading.  I never liked the new 52.  I guess my decision has now been justified.

Well, for DC, they used to have a very good story compared to their rival. I enjoyed their Identity Crisis, Countdown, 52 and a lot of other story arcs. The last good event that I read was Flashpoint. After that, DC revamped the whole universe and I stopped reading. I never liked the new 52. I guess my decision has now been justified.

I don't like it ether for the most part. The only reason I even bothered was because of their revamp of Shazam, while I hate the name change the story was good and the new take on Billy Batson didnt turn out to bad.

Edited by AdolphusStrigoi

I've never been a DC reader, and mainly a Marvel one. Some Superman, Batman and Green Lantern here and there. But not much. ( though i did get a trade of Flashpoint. That was good. The animated version... not so much)

I remember the one event that brought me heavily into comics long long ago: The Age of Apocalypse. Made me want every single issue of every single title that was involved. At this point I knew about a lot of the Marvel characters, and seeing them flipped was fun.

Marvel had a few events after that, but was only until Annihilation started that I started to really enjoy Marvels "Yearly" events. Conquest was ok, War of Kings was bleh, and Thanos Imperative was pretty cool. Killed my favorite character, but cool.

About this time, Civil War also started. Then Secret Invasion. Then Dark Reign, Seige and Heroic Age. I stopped at Heroic Age as by this time I was getting sick of the main heroes. Which is good because from what I read about them, Fear Itself, Avengers Vs X-Men, Age of Ultron and Infinity were garbage. (especially Age of Ultron and Infinity. Sure Ultron has been killed and revived before, but Thanos? He was kind of sealed in the cancerverse with StarLord and Nova... Starlord is also back, but not Nova? Bastards.)

And since Marvel has now retconned one of my favorite story lines from the past decade, I am once again not caring about their comics.

Petty?

Perhaps. But again, from what I hear from people with similar tastes... I aint missing anything.

Well, they did officially acknowledge that Starlord and Nova were indeed dead, Peter Quill was even asked as to how he came back, but he replied with silence.  It means something happened that somehow Thanos managed to get out of the cancerverse as together with Peter, but not Nova.

It's a shame about Age of Ultron.  I liked the concept, and was even expecting a great story line with the great build up, but the conclusion was disappointing.  Don't know it that was the intended ending or they just forced it so they can incorporate Angela into their universe.

Guest snow

I've always felt that Marvel characters were more developed than DC characters. I also feel the stories in the Marvel Universe are better. But this is just my opinion. I'm not really a DC fan.

• Like 1

I've always felt that Marvel characters were more developed than DC characters. I also feel the stories in the Marvel Universe are better. But this is just my opinion. I'm not really a DC fan.

That's pretty much the truth. And the "Problem" that DC tends to have.

This article brings up what "The Problem" DC Comics has.

http://comicsalliance.com/dc-comics-marvel-golden-age-silver-age-comics-history/

Although the previous article explains a bit more about the core differences between Marvel and DC

http://comicsalliance.com/superman-characters-marvel-universe-ask-chris-171/

Essentially, DC is stuck in the 50's with their original character ideas. Marvel's main characters are much more grounded, while DC's are more "Elemental" in a sense. They are usually "Too Perfect" archetypes. It was part of the time of which they were created to be true. And sure they have gotten more depth over the years, but the same old ideas still haunt their characters.

Which is also one of the reasons why early predictions are guessing that while we assume that a Justice League movie might have some cool stuff... It just won't hit as well as The Avengers and their cast. Just like Man of Steel. They really did not make you care much about anybody in that movie. But almost everyone walked out of Iron Man and Captain America liking the individual characters.

• Like 1

Guest snow

I've noticed most of the DC characters live in fictional cities, like Gotham City. It would have had a better touch if they just put Batman in an actual city like San Fransisco or Miami. Would have made it more interesting. Marvel has most of their characters in existing cities and towns. Spider Man is in New York, Blade is in California, so on and so forth... Captain America is in New York I think or is it New Jersey?

Captain America grew up in Manhattan.  So I think it is New York.

As for the DC characters, to be honest, great stories come from the second tier characters.  with DC's 52, you don't get to see any of the main characters like Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.  None of the famous characters are in it and yet it was one of DC's most successful story arcs.  Even the Identity crisis, everyone was wondering who killed Sue Dibny, and I felt that it was one of the greatest execution of comics mystery, with a conclusion that nobody expected.  It was simple and convincing.

I do like the story of Batman.  The likes of Year one, and especially the Dark Knight returns where we see and aging Batman pitted against a Superman still in his prime, yet still defeated by Batman.  Stories that involve Joker are also good read, like the Killing joke.  DC actually found more success in their elseworlds titles, where stories are written about the main characters that are not cannon and have no relation to the main universe.  Which I think is why writers are more creative and have more leeway with the characters, thus giving us a more entertaining story.

Guest snow

I really like Thor, he's my favorite Avenger.

tumblr_mcm2041y881r5zr68.jpg

Edited by Jupiter-Prime

Honestly, I haven't kept up with much of the comic companies at all, lately.  With DC, New 52 isn't really all that interesting to me, though the recent event with Supergirl becoming

a Red Lantern

really threw my brain for a loop.  Not sure if it'll be a good direction for her, but her book is currently only one of a few that I've been hearing good things about.

As for Marvel, I'm actually wanting to see Peter back in the game now that Superior Spider-Man is over.  And I'm also a little intrigued with the rumor of a Scarlet Spider appearing in the Ultimate's universe.  Actually, when it comes to Marvel, I'm liking how they're revamping old characters in new ways by going at it with a diverse route.  Don't get me wrong though, I think Miles is OK as the new Spider-Man, but I'm a Peter Parker fan and I'm just stuck that.  But I'm liking some of what I've been hearing about the new Ms. Marvel.  Really interesting.

I'm noticing Marvel releasing a lot of short-lived series.  The like of Cable and the X-force, Superior Spiderman, Indestructible hulk.  With the last one, I'm not entirely sure where this is going.  

They shot banner in the back of the head point blank and the series ends.  Then a new series simply titled hulk, where we see banner being operated on, and in the last page, he received permanent brain damage.  Is he still able to become the Hulk at this point?

Not sure if that's going to be temporary or permanent.  Hopefully it's similar to Superior Spiderman, where the absence of Parker was only permanent.

Starting in amazing Spiderman #9 they are suppose to do a massive crossover with all, ALL, the Spidermen. Not only the ones we seen but some that we haven't. And there will also be evil Peters thrown in too!

So I've read DC's Trinity War and Forever Evil.  I was curious about forever evil, and since I didn't know how that happened, I back read Trinity War to get the gists of what happened.  It was good, but not as exciting as the previous events.  I'm still waiting for the last issue of Forever Evil. This better be good.  Don't know if this will restore the status quo or change it once again.