Anime Tech...

zeo

I don't see any mechs in the near future replacing tanks. Tanks can still go to a ton of places that mech designs are made too impractical to go to. Mech designs would likely be best in urban combat because they can shoot around covers. The Front Mission Games have been the most realistic mech related franchise ever. Search Front Mission 4 videos on youtube to see what I mean.

I can only imagine the spidermech design being real useful as a mobile artillery, or if it somehow could function like a spider (climb walls and leap high) then it would be a dangerous machine. If it could climb mountains, it could easily position itself for bombardments or reach higher elevations for tactical advantages. But the chances of them ever making a mech like that in the next 100 years is slim.

The real wave of the future for robots is exoskeletons like the ones in Exosquad, Metal Skin Panic Madox-01, and Star Ship Trooper novels (Not the silly movies). Followed by smaller powered armors for basic infantry that you see in some Anime along with enhancement drugs and tracking implants in soldiers.

Yea I agree with you dude. I love front mission series. Well I hope they also develop technology for civilian use. Like nano machine grown foods. Also better and faster electronic devices. I want a robot that will work instead off me. :lol:

careful what you wish for buddy. If machines did everything for us... we humans who get bored and lead to our own destruction. Or that is what the animematrix claims. :P

Oh and one fo the better scenes from Front Mission 4. Ironic that I love this scene because they are actually attacking my native Portugal's island territory.

Oh and the so incredibly badass intro for the same game.

I do believe that the next generation of tanks would be something that is more manueverable. Since tanks already have the armor and fire power, they lack in the mobility department. The next step would be what you call, mobile suits, armored slaves, labor or whatever you might want to call them. Simply because they can match the armor and firepower of a tank and also have the agility of a biped without sacrificing the speed.

They had one Anime that actually did a cool redesign of how a Tank could be in the future. Looking at it today, it was a pretty badass tank that could take on mech's and exo-skeletal armors.

Metal Skin Panic Madox-01 featured the that tank as the weapon of choice for a Psychotic Tank Pilot who hates mech designs and wishes to prove their superiority to mechs. So he takes a 4 legged prototype mini tank (each leg has tank treads and named the "Baby Turtle") and starts hunting down the kid trapped inside his robotic Madox armor despite his orders and the unnecessary and unwarranted destruction of everything along the way.

mox20.jpg

mox25.jpg

Actually, the design and function of the tank is in many way similar to a real life Tank that was only made into a prototype for the US armor. It was beaten out by the Abrams tank, but this tank still had advantaged over conventional tanks. It could increase and decrease it's height and do some pretty nifty shots as a result. The tank in the Anime is able to do that and much more, but it's small so it manages to go fight in urban areas and enclosed spaces, as well as being incredibly fast and agile thanks to it's design. The flaws of course are that it's small size and open cockpit are a danger to the pilot. I can totally see a small single man tanks in the future being designed as Urban combat tanks that can support infantry and act like mobile artillery (thanks to it's methods of changing it's elevation) for shelling urban positions.

They had one Anime that actually did a cool redesign of how a Tank could be in the future. Looking at it today, it was a pretty badass tank that could take on mech's and exo-skeletal armors.

Metal Skin Panic Madox-01 featured the that tank as the weapon of choice for a Psychotic Tank Pilot who hates mech designs and wishes to prove their superiority to mechs. So he takes a 4 legged prototype mini tank (each leg has tank treads and named the "Baby Turtle") and starts hunting down the kid trapped inside his robotic Madox armor despite his orders and the unnecessary and unwarranted destruction of everything along the way.

mox20.jpg

mox25.jpg

Actually, the design and function of the tank is in many way similar to a real life Tank that was only made into a prototype for the US armor. It was beaten out by the Abrams tank, but this tank still had advantaged over conventional tanks. It could increase and decrease it's height and do some pretty nifty shots as a result. The tank in the Anime is able to do that and much more, but it's small so it manages to go fight in urban areas and enclosed spaces, as well as being incredibly fast and agile thanks to it's design. The flaws of course are that it's small size and open cockpit are a danger to the pilot. I can totally see a small single man tanks in the future being designed as Urban combat tanks that can support infantry and act like mobile artillery (thanks to it's methods of changing it's elevation) for shelling urban positions.

VGuyver do you have a real life video prototype tank vs abram 1. Would love to see it. :mrgreen:

I'm pretty sure this vid has it, granted it's been 3 years since I've seen it. But the video did go over it's competition with other tanks, right? Then again you may be right amd I'm sorry if it is in fact the incorrect video.

The tank I mentioned was a very dark tank that when viewed you can see it's two treads helping to adjust the height of the tanks main body. It looked pretty rugged and not as sleep as the Abrams.

I'm still trying to hunt it down and post any info or pics I come accross. I put aside what I was doing and been at it for hours already.

I think there was a feature in Discovery channel about the different classes of tanks. which goes something like this:

top 1 - Germany's Leopard 2

top 2 - M1A Abraham

top 3 - Russian T34

top 4 - Israeli Merkava

top 5 - British Centurion

top 6 - S tank

top 7 - Russian T72

top 8 - German Panther

top 9 - Sheridan M551

top 10 - M4 Sherman

Also, tanks are at a disadvantage on terrain versatility. Which is why a humanoid tank are at a better advantage. Most of the mechs in Anime depict that humanoid vehicles are superior to tanks.

Yeah, also tanks tend to break down a lot. Take the German Tiger Tank. They were amongst the best tanks in the world, but they broke down a lot because they had so many parts. They'd have to be refitted and maintained every few miles. I think the average mentioned was that they'd have a breakdown about ever 40-50 miles of land coverage. A Stark contrast to the Russian who had too few parts in their tanks (needed to be maintained every 300 miles, but were noisy and clunky) while a Sherman can go for thousands of miles, but was easy to destroy (they easily caught fire) and were incapable of matching either German nor Russian tanks. One American tank pilot once commended on how his unit and his entire crew were killed by a single ace Tank commander (turned out this ace was the most famous tank driver in German history) and although he shot at it, evaded it, then flanked it, and then again shot at his Tiger 1, all that tank had to do was turn it's muzzle, and fire. His entire crew was killed and he was fortunate to survive. His own shots had bounced off the German tank armor, but the German cannon tore into his tank easily.

Odd misconception about French tanks, they were actually superior to German tanks, but they didn't see much use in the war and so many were destroyed from Ariel bombardments. yet they managed to destroy a considerable number of German tanks and proved their own armor was superior. A shame really.

The program I watched was either the history channel or the discovery. Problem with the tank I'm looking for is that it was never picked up or massed produced. It was only a prototype and it got chosen over because of the M1 Abrams, then the Leopard came out thus no one wanted it because it was slightly more expensive and harder to maintain. I've been going nuts trying to find it. I've been to tank sites, museum sites... no one has any info on this one tank. I guess this is what happens with prototype tanks, they just disappear from memory. Sort of like Canadian Jet fighters, you never hear of the weapons the canadians were making even though they were very impressive weapons.

came across this. It's a brazilian prototype tank called the Osorio. It was cancelled, but a nice find alongside my quest for that one american prototype...

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/EE-T1-Osorio.htm

no this isn't edited, the turret really was that huge, It's the second turret from the image above.

Edited by V Guyver