The Avengers

jerrygoodman

Went to a Thursday night showing with my brother.

Loved it.

Downloaded a cam rip.

Watched it a few more times on Friday/Saturday.

Went to theater again on Sunday when friends went to see it .

Yeah, it's good stuff. Great stuff.

Puny god.

Now, I will admit, I am a much bigger Iron Man fan than any of the other characters... And RDJ's Tony Stark certainly has been the publics favorite character... They perhaps gave him a bit too much screen time once he finally arrived... But what can I say? The guy is just awesome. Everything he says is awesome, just because of how he says it. He has friction with every character (some to a lesser degree) due to his carefree and selfish attitude... Yet doesn't quite come off as an asshole... Though maybe a bit jerkish... lol

My only complaint was that there wasn't even a mention of War Machine. They should have mentioned something along the lines of him being busy, or that Stark was still working on a new armor for him. I mean, Rhodey is eveything that SHIELD wanted in an armored fighter ( See Iron Man 2's ending... Iron Man: Yes. Tony Stark: Not Recommended) ... Except the super brain... But Rhodey is still no idiot. If his armor was active, there is no reason why he should not have been there to fight an alien invasion.

Kind of a small complaint, especially considering it could have just been 1 sentence added to clear it up... But they gotta think that fans would notice stuff like this.

Kind of dissapointed at the first special scene at the end of the initial credits... Should have used Kang the Conqueror or Skrulls... Thanos is more of a Galactic enemy ( though I may be thinking more recently, but even the Infinity Guantlet had non Avengers in it ).

The shwarma scene was funny though. Especially since they were still in costume ( well not Stark), but the guys in the background just kept on cleaning as usual.

Now just to wait for Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 for next year, and Cap 2 in 2014.

Am I the only one who thought it was mediocre?

It also looked like the VFX were identical to that battleship cack coming out. I mean exactly the same type of effects done to colour, lighting, detail etc.

It was good for a super hero movie but I am sick and tired of them and I felt it pandered almost exclusively to the geek crowd.

Movies should be able to pull in non comic book fans as well as those in the know and I just felt that it wasn't a very intelligent movie all round.

I'm not a fan of the batman movies but they show how it is possible to attempt comic book movies as an intelligent film.

They shouldn't have the excuse of 'Well the fight at the end is all that matter, etc.'

I also had a hard time getting sucked in when I saw Thor and Loki in those ridiculous costumes and some of the dialogue was ridiculous like Coulson when he shot Loki with the destroyer weapon has a massive hole blown in him and is dying yet still finds the time to quip, 'Oh, that's what it does.'

The only clever stuff I saw was Black Widow manipulating Loki when he thought he was manipulating her.

Maybe I'm being too harsh but it just lacked depth and felt like an episode of a cartoon come to life.

At least Iron Man one had some depth to it.

I don't know, it just lacked charm to me and felt like a two hour, 'buy the figures!' commercial in much the same was He man and transformers did back in the 80's

I did think the Mark 7 armour rocked though...

Well, a lot of my friends who say the movie had no knowledge of the comic and it's continuity, and all of them loved it. I'll say despite criticism, the movie was a success. Even if the dialogue was ridiculous, it was funny ridiculous. Not like Batman & Robin corny ridiculous. Now that movie was full of one liners.

My disappointment though was that Cap didn't get enough highlight as Ironman did. The movie was like a mini iron man movie. At least in the end they made it look like Cap was the leader. Everyone just turned to him and bowed to his every order.

And yeah, Hulk was the funny one.

Finally saw it last night.

Overrated, but entertaining as hell. I'd definitely go see it again.

Tony Stark is just... AWESOME! Loved his entrance to AC/DC in the first fight with Loki.

The Hulk/Thor and Hulk/Loki scenes were hilarious too.

It DID look a lot like Battleship, which kind of ruined it.

Loki is just a (excuse the pun) bad villain. He's like a jealous child, which ruins the story, but I know why they had to do it.

I would have loved to have seen War Machine, but he's not an Avenger, so fair enough.

Good movie, but definitely not even close to the best.

For those people who complained about the Avengers being shown first overseas, well, we didn't get the second after credits goodies. We only got the first after credits scene showing a familiar face, and we didn't get the second one. We waited for the long credits roll to finish and nothing showed. I just found out about this extra scene today and only saw it via youtube.

For those people who complained about the Avengers being shown first overseas, well, we didn't get the second after credits goodies. We only got the first after credits scene showing a familiar face, and we didn't get the second one. We waited for the long credits roll to finish and nothing showed. I just found out about this extra scene today and only saw it via youtube.

What was the second scene?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I did find the way Hulk manhandling Loki quite funny. And to add insult to injury, the phrase "puny god" is the icing on top.

Another favorite of mine was when Thor was defending Loki as his brother, then immediately proclaiming him as adopted.

You know, Hulk seems to have very little dialogue, but his actions add more to the comedic touch of the whole movie.

And oh yeah, this one time when Cap was giving instructions to the avengers, he says to Hulk: "Hulk... smash!"

• 2 months later...

I saw this recently.

I thought it was enjoyable and fun but not much more of value.

I'm not giving it a bad rating, it's just not outstanding. but I would like to mention something that irks me.

The special effects are poor.

I always held the original Hulk movie by Ang Lee in high regard. I looked at the special effects for this new hulk and it is still not as good in my opinion.

the thing is, he just looks like a clay model. in the Ang Lee movie, even when he transforms, it looks like teh same guy and it actually looks like a living being.

but in the Avengers, he looks like a clay puppet. when he turns round and transforms to punch that big space monster, it looks like team america.

Well the thing is about this version of the Hulk, it is actually Mark Ruffalo's acting. They placed all this sensors in him and captured his movement as he plays the savage brute, unlike the previous movies where the movement of the hulking beast was purely CGI.

I think I understand where you're coming from considering that you're not much of a comic book fan. Majority of the Hulk fanboys sees the Ang Lee movie as a total failure. I myself was not impressed how he "comicalized" the movie with all those comic book like panel in the movie. (which I find somewhat annoying) It was a nice idea to emphasize that it is a movie about a comic book character, but it's not what the fans wanted.

Coming from someone like you saying that you enjoyed the Avengers movie, I would like to think that the producers and directors accomplished their task. The task being able to let non-followers to enjoy a movie that caters to fanboys.

I hated the olive green hue on the Ang Lee Hulk. And the gamma ray visual effect. Of course the comic book panels. And how rubbery the dogs looked. And the scientist in bandages trying to iject Hulk with somethig while he was all foamed up. oh well.

Oh, and here:

I love how these guys make fu of movies

I love you guys' comments.

I certainly appreciate that you may not like Ang Lees hulk.

while i thought it was a quality movie, obviously if you're a fan of a comic book that has been going for many years then you're going to be watching for a lot of critical stuff.

I really like the idea that they motion captured the actor who plays bruce banner. i loved how he moved when he said "puny god", that was really funny and a great line! I think the hulk uses that language a lot, I've seen some cartoons when i was younger so I have a bit of an idea what it's about. and the actor who plays him is pretty likeable. I'm really glad they replaced edward norton.

yeah the movie did a great job at introducing me to the characters. I understood what they were about pretty well I think. I think i recognised that guy at the end. with the pink face. I might have seen him somewhere before. while he reminds me of darkseid from superman, I remember getting confused because there were similar looking guys in marvel and DC. I'm thinking about this and want to ask, is he somehow related to the silver surfer or those guys in x-men? (the phoenix?)

anyhow, I also wanted to add, I think captain america looks all wrong. he has no wings on his hat. now I am not a fan of captain america or even watched it extensively, but i have seen a lot of pictures and i am pretty sure his head is not supposed to be so smooth? what do you think?

about the comic book panels, I think that was pretty neat! :mrgreen: but yeah it is definitely cheesy and i think it could be seen almost like the director was mocking the source material. also, I do agree about the dogs. they did look quite weird.

I guess i just remember the scene where the janitor puts his hand on the hulks face. the way that face is animated is amazing.

I really did not mind any of the Hulk movies, they where all good on their own and each one has something good to contribute, if anything the only thing i did not particularly liked was the hulk dogs but other than that it was a pretty interesting take on the character, My favorite hulk movie is Incredible hulk as it presented a good way to do a reboot of a series while not dealing with the origins that the first one already touched upon and I respect your opinion for liking the first movie more Ryuki, not many ppl like it although it is a decent movie, I for one like a movie that not many like either but because I watched the Directors Cut which was far superior which is Daredevil, I tend to like the underdog when it comes to superheroes cause they seem to have the best stories most of the time, hence why I am currently reading Daredevil and Aquaman which both got me hooked from the very start.

yeah the movie did a great job at introducing me to the characters. I understood what they were about pretty well I think. I think i recognised that guy at the end. with the pink face. I might have seen him somewhere before. while he reminds me of darkseid from superman, I remember getting confused because there were similar looking guys in marvel and DC. I'm thinking about this and want to ask, is he somehow related to the silver surfer or those guys in x-men? (the phoenix?)

anyhow, I also wanted to add, I think captain america looks all wrong. he has no wings on his hat. now I am not a fan of captain america or even watched it extensively, but i have seen a lot of pictures and i am pretty sure his head is not supposed to be so smooth? what do you think?

For the "pink faced" guy at the end is a major character of sorts in the comics.

That's Thanos, and yes, he has dealt the avengers on a cosmic scale. You are correct to compare him to Darkseid, because that's how ruthless and intelligent he is. He does all those things simply because he courts the attention of Death. Death in the marvel universe is personified by a mysterious lady, which Thanos would like to find favor with. He was also the wielder of the Infinity Gauntlet, which pretty much made him the God of the universe. It's another story but he is an interesting character

I was not happy with how Captain America was portrayed. He looked like an idiot in most part of the movie. And that's coming from a Captain America fan. Although I do understand why the producers did that. It emphasizes his transition from the 40's to the modern era, trying to adjust. And he proves his worth in the final battle. And to be completely honest, I hated his suit in the Avengers. I prefer his world war II uniform over this anytime.

I liked Ang Lee's Hulk. I just didn't like the fact that the Absorbing Man was the villain. And the environment I was in when I saw it was the worst.

I just got Thor added to my DVD collection. I just need Iron Man 2 & Avengers and I'll have all of them. I got Incredible Hulk last month at Target.