The Eternals

well I went to see it and I enjoyed it. I give it an 8 out of ten. it wasn't one of the best films I've seen but it was above average for sure :)

I wonder why it has been getting such a bad rap?

Long, boring and pretentious? I don't know, I haven't seen it yet. Unbelievably, the critics' rating has dropped below 50%, although the audience reviews seem more positive. But that is to be expected this early.

366436650_EternalsRT.png.55fe96185df58bb3d4c17db61cb9db2c.png

Edited by Salkafar

long boring and pretentious could also be applied to Dune, yet they seems to have been kinder to that. I enjoyed Both films and both had beauty and a thoughtful message.

it seems to me, most of the backlash is because they had the audacity to include a homosexual couple and a character that challenges gender paradigms. though they'd never say it outright of course, it's in the subtext.

one of the reviewers said the ensemble cast made it hard to follow individual character stories. I have a learning disability and I had lost a lot of sleep the previous night and yet I could follow their stories easily. it's obvious there is something else going on here.

7 hours ago, Tora Tan said:

it seems to me, most of the backlash is because they had the audacity to include a homosexual couple and a character that challenges gender paradigms. though they'd never say it outright of course, it's in the subtext.

Hmmm694510339_Thescore.png.38e90323f5cb6d3c098bb917b5006e2b.png

haha okay you got me.  I was just parroting what has been said in other places. I'll try to be aware of doing that again.

I just thought there must be some stock in it because I have seen comments in places by people saying they were fed up of the marketing being all about the gay couple.. I never saw anything like that myself so I must be missing something somewhere.

3 hours ago, Tora Tan said:

haha okay you got me.  I was just parroting what has been said in other places. I'll try to be aware of doing that again.

I just thought there must be some stock in it because I have seen comments in places by people saying they were fed up of the marketing being all about the gay couple.. I never saw anything like that myself so I must be missing something somewhere.

I think Marvel is panicking.

I heard the other day they even only started on 'Eternals' because DC planned on doing a 'New Gods' movie (A horrible idea in and of itself) and they wanted a Kirby movie out, as well. DC canned it, though, maybe because their DCEU as a whole is kind of a disaster so they didn't want to risk it; and now Marvel was stuck with a movie that did not really fit in with their established movie universe, with an entirely new cast of characters that, in fact, did seem to pander to prevailing public opinion - or whatever they perceived it to be - and, well, they did their best, but you can't make gold out of straw.

In the context of pandering, though: I notice they made Ajak - briefly played by Salma Hayek, although Ajak was male in the comic - the leader of the Eternals, while the Eternals' ruler in the comics, Zuras, was nowhere to be seen or even mentioned. Too much masculine authority, I guess

7 hours ago, Salkafar said:

I think Marvel is panicking.

I heard the other day they even only started on 'Eternals' because DC planned on doing a 'New Gods' movie (A horrible idea in and of itself) and they wanted a Kirby movie out, as well. DC canned it, though, maybe because their DCEU as a whole is kind of a disaster so they didn't want to risk it; and now Marvel was stuck with a movie that did not really fit in with their established movie universe, with an entirely new cast of characters that, in fact, did seem to pander to prevailing public opinion - or whatever they perceived it to be - and, well, they did their best, but you can't make gold out of straw.

In the context of pandering, though: I notice they made Ajak - briefly played by Salma Hayek, although Ajak was male in the comic - the leader of the Eternals, while the Eternals' ruler in the comics, Zuras, was nowhere to be seen or even mentioned. Too much masculine authority, I guess

This reminded me of an interview of Arnold Schwarzenegger about his rivalry with Sylvester Stallone (or was it the other way around?).  He mentioned that he tricked Sly to star in the Movie "Stop or my Mom will Shoot" by telling the producers that he was very interested in the movie.  Sly of course, doesn't want to be outdone by Arnie, so he pushed to get casted on the movie instead.  Turns out Arnie was trolling Sly. 

Getting back on topic, Eternals are not yet released in our theaters locally so I really have no means of watching it right now.  But based on a lot of comments I've read, it seems that the criticism suffers from woke-ism.  I can't comment yet because I really haven't seen it to give my own opinions.