Jump to content

The Eternals


Recommended Posts

I don't see good portents for this.

'Eternals' was Jack Kirby's last great Marvel project and was not initially meant to be part of their superhero comics universe. Only later was it folded into the main continuity and it almost never works. The Eternals are supposed to be guardians of the planet but are rarely anywhere to be found when it is in danger.

"We never interfered"? Right after you are shown to do exactly that.

I have read the synopsis of the movie thanks to the wretched hive of scum and villainy that is 4chan, and frankly I am not impressed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

In the comics the Eternals really never did interfere, even when the Deviants enslaved humanity. To them it was like a war between two species of animal. You may not like it, but what are you supposed to do? It's nature. Only when the Deviants attack them or threaten the machinations of the Celestials do they retaliate as a people.

Of course, individual Eternals may feel for the humans, but that is their affair.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I'm sure Marvel knows what they're doing.  I mean, they've been doing this for like, more than a decade.  Also note that Marvel has trolled fans a lot of times before, so who is to say they're not trolling us again with this.  Despite my misgivings of this movie, I still might probably watch it.  For the life me of, I just can't get the image of Jon Snow and Robb Stark out of my mind when I see Kit Harrington and Richard Madden.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Larz Zahn said:

I never been big on the eternals... even in comic cameos, they don't do much... can't say I'm excited to watch this movie.

I don't know much about them. The trailer shows them to be like "deities".

What is it that they really do and where did they get their immortality and powers? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mr.Dawn said:

I don't know much about them. The trailer shows them to be like "deities".

What is it that they really do and where did they get their immortality and powers? 

Well, in the comics, it's like this:

about 800,000 years ago, the Earth was visited by giant cosmic gods that we call the Celestials. They took the ancestors of humanity - Homo erectus, at the time - and transformed some of them through genetic engineering. The first group, however, turned out to be genetically unstable, so that each individual was unique, and over time cullings were deemed necessary to dispose of those who were too monstrous. They ended up living in vast cities underground. These beings are known as the Deviants.

The second group were pretty much perfect. They were beautiful, intelligent and gifted, and the Celestials made them part of the 'system', that is to say, the Earth, so that the would be immortal; even if they did die, they would be reformed almost instantly in 'the machine'. These beings would serve the Celestials and guard the planet. They went to live  on mountaintops and high plateaus. They were known as the Eternals.

The third group was seemingly unchanged. They continued to evolve naturally until they had become Homo sapiens, and are known as Humans. However, the Celestials had in fact made changes to the effect that humans can develop super-powers. This is why super-powered people exist at all.

This has been Marvel canon for some time now. The mystery was the why of all of this. The maxi-series 'Earth X' tried to explain it: the Celestials reproduce by implanting an embryo of their own kind inside a planet and letting it develop for millions of years as it feeds on the planet's life force. In order to protect the embryo, the Celestials empower the local population to defend it, like a planetary immune system against alien invaders and natural disasters. Earth is one of the few planets that has managed to deflect even Galactus, the Devourer of Worlds; in 'Earth X' it is stated he does not so much feed on  planets , or the life force of planets, as he hunts down and consumes developing Celestial embryos.

The movie will likely go its own way, though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And in the avengers 2018 run, the reason earth is different and special, is that an old celestial came to earth to die, cause it was infected with a virus.

 

It literally vomited and bled and oozed into the planet therefore changing its evolutionary path.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But that run made tons of changes... like moonlight being stronger than all the avengers, beating them and taking their powers away. Having a greater affinity for this hammer than Thor, cause Uru is made from moon rock. And black panther having a even greater connection to it, cause he's black panther. 

 

And that thors true mother is not Gaia, but the phoenix force. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Salkafar said:

The second group were pretty much perfect. They were beautiful, intelligent and gifted, and the Celestials made them part of the 'system', that is to say, the Earth, so that the would be immortal; even if they did die, they would be reformed almost instantly in 'the machine'. These beings would serve the Celestials and guard the planet. They went to live  on mountaintops and high plateaus. They were known as the Eternals.

Nice! They sound amazing. Are they more powerful than Thor and Odin?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/20/2021 at 1:06 AM, Larz Zahn said:

And in the avengers 2018 run, the reason earth is different and special, is that an old celestial came to earth to die, cause it was infected with a virus.

It literally vomited and bled and oozed into the planet therefore changing its evolutionary path.

Jason Aaron is like an inverse King Midas: everything he touches turns to trash.

On 8/20/2021 at 7:25 PM, Mr.Dawn said:

Nice! They sound amazing. Are they more powerful than Thor and Odin?

The Eternals are typically depicted as about as powerful as normal Asgardians, although they also have superpowers. Thor and Odin are well above average, though, but that is because Odin is a Skyfather who was merged with his two brothers, and Thor's mother is an Elder God.

The Elder Gods were the first beings created by the Demiurge, the sentient life force of Earth itself - ethereal titans of immense primal power. Almost all of them became corrupt and turned on each other, and were ultimately destroyed by Demogorge, the monstrous battle-form of Atum, the Sun God. After he had consumed all the corrupted gods, he expelled their raw god-stuff which blanketed the Earth until it was stirred into life again when the first thinking beings filled it with their dreams, hopes, aspirations, ideals and fears; then, from it were born the gods and devils we know.

Marvel comics used to be pretty great.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/20/2021 at 1:09 AM, Larz Zahn said:

But that run made tons of changes... like moonlight being stronger than all the avengers, beating them and taking their powers away. Having a greater affinity for this hammer than Thor, cause Uru is made from moon rock. And black panther having a even greater connection to it, cause he's black panther. 

 

And that thors true mother is not Gaia, but the phoenix force. 

Jason Aaron is a blight. I already said it but it bears repeating.

 

Edited by Salkafar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That avengers run with Aaron is my 1st introduction to him.... I dont like the storys... primitive avengers felt so.... regurgitated. But I do like seeing g the predecessor of each hero. And finally seeing amagatto. The only arc I liked was the celestials. 

 

But what was the biggest problem for me was that it was in its own continuity, it ignored all the other major events and didnits own thing. Heck, they did the world wide Phoenix tournament while the king on black arc was going on across soooomany comic lines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...