Guyver Popularity: What went wrong?

Why didn't the Guyver franchise ever get as popular as Bleach, Attack on Titan, or Dragon Ball Z? 

Everyone loved those shows, so where did Guyver fail to deliver as far as the 2005 anime was concerned? I mean, I really do blame the audience for not giving the franchise the chance and opportunity that it deserved. People are very picky and judgmental when it comes to their entertainment. 

I mean "what went wrong with Guvyer?"  because anytime I talk to any anime fan, they've never heard of it. They're ask if I'm asking them if they've watched "Macguyver" and I'm like "Noooo. Guyver, it's a manga /anime franchise." and they're like "Nope, never heard of it."

Guyver is still not finished. It has had multiple hiatuses.
Also, it is kinda weird.

Even if people thought it was interesting, the fact it doesn't have an end and may never have an end, people just don't want to commit to it and so it doesn't get recommended.

To start, I think Guyver started on a different publication, which doesn't really quite have the reach like that of Shonen Jump.  You'll notice that the titles you mentioned are all published in Shonen Jump.  So more circulation, means more readers, means more popularity.  You're practically guaranteed success if you get published in Shonen Jump.  And since he's not on a weekly platform, there are less pressure to get an assistant or vice versa.

I think we as Guyver fan tend to forget that Guyver's high of popularity was a looong time ago. I wasn't even in my teens when the early manga and ovas were doing the rounds. While it did have something of a rival in the 00s it was not the big return to glory many of us hoped. In the west guvyver has sadly long been forgotten by most anime fans, hell I can only count a hand 4 or 5 reviews of the series on youtube off the top of my head that I've ever seen. Even people who specifically review older anime like Bennet the Sage, have never done an actual review. 

I sadly think that is nothing but an old curiosity for only the most dedicated of older anime fans like ourselves. Once we go, it will be something people only find in old bargain bin shops or by chance online. 

Guyver is OLD.

It hasn't bent to the tropes of this era that make things popular. And that is another reason why I still like it. It never caved to what was popular like some series do.

The whole basic premise of Guyver has been done over and over again, and constantly been refined into other popular tropes... but Guyver is originally from 1985, and is still heavily influenced by this... Especially since anyone trying to get into the manga or anime have to contend with it's age. And some of the early stuff hasn't aged well.

The first 6 episodes of the 1989 OAV are still the best thing to show new potential fans... but its age is showing too... There are no HD re-releases to make it look better... And the Manga Entertainment version is a lesser version when compared to the original release by AD Vision.

The 2005 TV series just wasn't enough like the 89 OAV, despite the TERRIBLE marketing campaign claiming it was "The New Face of Ultra Violence"... When it was a TV series and could not, and would never have anything I would remotely consider "Ultra Violence". If it was an OAV and did have "Ultra Violence", the 2005 series would have been received a lot better... As Gory violence is a hook that brings people to watching it. But in the end, the 20005 series was... Boring? As a fan I loved the extra story bits and whatnot... But it wasn't anything special or exciting for new people.

And THEN you throw in all the delays and gaps in releases of the manga (5 years at the end of April) and it is no wonder few people ever care about it.

The only reason I feel that we are getting the statues and figures, is that Max Watanabe of Max Factory is a personal friend of Takaya, and Guyver helped build his company with the early model kits. Hell, the Bio Fighter series of figures predates Figma figures. And I guress whomever runs Prime 1 studios must also be a fan. Or they were paid a lot to make the statues.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Matt Bellamy said:

The 2005 TV series just wasn't enough like the 89 OAV, despite the TERRIBLE marketing campaign claiming it was "The New Face of Ultra Violence"... When it was a TV series and could not, and would never have anything I would remotely consider "Ultra Violence". If it was an OAV and did have "Ultra Violence", the 2005 series would have been received a lot better... As Gory violence is a hook that brings people to watching it. But in the end, the 20005 series was... Boring? As a fan I loved the extra story bits and whatnot... But it wasn't anything special or exciting for new people.

lol I remember that. After I watched the first 2 volumes of the 2005 anime. I was thinking. This isn't very violent or super gory like they advertised. But I did enjoy the plotline and the 26 episodes. I learned a lot from the 2005 anime than I did from the 80's anime. Mostly because I never read the manga. 

• I got to see more of Richard Guyot. I learned that he was trying to steal Chronos from his colleagues and have them murdered.
  • I had always thought that Richard Guyot and Doctor Barcas were the only leaders of Chronos from what I had seen in the 80's anime. The 2005 anime adjusted my perspective that there are indeed 13 Zoalords. 
  • I got to see more of The Hyper Zoanoid Team 5. 
  • I got to see more of Guyver 2. But he suffers from low self esteem and is bullied by his colleagues and Zerbebuth. 
  • Zx-Tole and Elegen didn't fuse together like Goku and Vegeta did in DBZ
  •  I finally learned what Aptom was. In the 80's anime, I just thought he was another zoanoid sent by Chronos to kill Sho at Relics Point. I didn't know he defected.
  • I never knew Aptom ate 95% of the Hyper Zoanoid Team 5. I thought Guyver 1 and 3 killed them. 
  • I never knew Aptom could absorb and assimilate other zoanoids and hyper zoanoids. He quickly became my favorite. 
  • I learned in the 26th episode that Aptom isn't the ultimate battle creature. Chronos can still crush him. He needs Sho and Agito's help. 
  • I learned that there was a Neo Zxtol. 
  • I had never heard of or knew who Archanfel was. He was never mentioned in the 80's anime that I can remember. 
  • I didn't know that Archanfel ripped out Richard Guyot's zoacrystal and he's a reoccurring villain. I always assumed Guyver 3 succeeded in killing him. 
  • I finally learned what Murakami was because the 80's anime was very vague about zoalords. It never showed a zoalord battle form except for Murakami's prototype form. 
  • The 2005 anime showed that Murakami was dying. The 80's anime led me to believe he was much more powerful. 
  • I learned in the 2005 anime that Agito was eventually going to abandon or turn on Sho and his friends at some point when they were no longer useful to him.
  • Mizuki would have never gotten with Sho if it weren't for Tetsuo. In the 2005 anime, he brought them together. 
  • I learned about the Guyver Remover.
  • I learned about the Guyver Gigantic.
  • I learned that Tetsuo has a toxic relationship with Mizuki in the 26th episode. He almost smacked her one for mouthing off at him. 
  • I learned that Tetsuo is lazy which contributes to his obesity. He spent months after Relic's Point sitting on the computer and did nothing but eat and complain. 
  • I learned both from the manga and 2005 anime that there are no Guyver Zoanoids. 
  • I never knew Chronos succeeded in world domination at the end of the series. 
Edited by Jupiter
Forgot to add some stuff.
  • 2 weeks later...

The writing has something to do with it.  Not that it's bad but it doesn't have well defined arcs which makes it less marketable.  I feel like at one point the story must have been heading for a definitive ending and then the plan changed. 

The "Chronos Japan" arc is very brief in the manga.  Then almost too much happens in the Mount Minikami story line.  One right after the other we are introduced to Lost Numbers, Hyper Zoanoids, a proto-zoalord, a true Zoalord, and then the original Zoalord.

The lore introduced is really cool but limits where the series can go. We know all about the Zoanoid / Zoalord hierachy, there are only 12, and who the strongest is.

The Guyvers get sidelined as Aptom vs Team 5, Guyout vs Murakami/ Archanphel takes place.  The Guyvers seem to have fewer victories in the manga because of this.

The OAV remedies some of this by moving Team 5 to season 1 and giving the Guyvers a big and exciting battle at Chronos Japan.  Presumably also moving Zoalords for a 3rd season.

Of course I think X-Day was also very limiting to the story.  The plot kind of meanders and tries to create mystery by bringing back characters believed to be dead and bringing in non canon characters.  Not really a good sign.