Godzilla

odin

There's already reviews for the first issue and I have to say...I'm not impressed with this comic. I think I'm gonna hold off and see if the second issue gets good reviews or not before I consider buying the first two issues.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/comics/idw_godzilla_kom_01.htm

http://www.tohokingdom.com/articles/editorial/03-29_gkom1_review.htm

:G1: Wow. I just read the reviews and it doesn't sound like it's a comic I might want to collect. Judging by the amount of time Godzilla has been out of the public eye, meaning how long it's been since a Godzilla movie was made, you'd think that this new comic series would start off with a big impression. So far it seems that it's lacking that impression. I wonder how much input or sayso Toho has had on this particular project... The covert art for the future issues where Rodan and Anguirus are introduced look splendid. I really hope IDW does Godzilla justice. I haven't read the comic, frankly I'm debating on buying it now that I've read the reviews, but thus far, all the pictures I've seen of the Godzilla's look doesn't impress me either. I guess I am just bias as to his look since my favorite look is the Heisei's look for Godzilla. In my opinion, that was the best. :G3:

The part with Godzilla eating the kids kinda bugs me. From the sound of it, it seems like it was just a cheap shock tactic. Yeah, Godzilla does kill people but if you're gonna show him killing people then at least show some build up to it or something.

Oh and if any of you guys want the comic for free, Sci Fi Japan is doing a contest where you can win the Issue #1 sets. So if you guys want to get it for free, then enter it and you may just win: http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2011/03/30/win-godzilla-kingdom-of-monsters-issue-1-sets/

nice, I may actually enter this then, just for the sake of competing. I am a little confused tho on the instructions, is this an art contest?

No, its not an art contest. They randomly select 3 people who entered the contest and those 3 will win the comics.

Bobby- I doubt they can do that since I believe there were a few disputes over who owned the rights to some of these films in America. Have you noticed that we haven't gotten legit DVD releases of Godzilla vs Megalon, Godzilla 1984, and Godzilla vs Biollante yet? I know that there was a petition to get Biollante released on DVD a while back, but that didn't work. Maybe with the new comic and movie, we can finally get at least one of these on DVD (If we get any of those three, I'm betting Biollante will be one of them). If we do get any Godzilla marathons, they'll probably show some of the later ones like Godzilla vs Megaguirus, GMK, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II, etc.

Edit- Forgot to mention something else. Matt Frank (known for his Godzilla NEO fanart at Deviantart) has shown everybody on Tohokingdom the alternate cover he did for Issue 5 and guess who's on the cover: http://www.tohokingdom.com/news/2011/03-29_godzilla5_idw_mattfrank.html

Edit: It turns out that Godzilla vs Megalon isn't coming out.

Edited by Purgstall

Mirabilis, I revealed that a year ago:

Oh and I finally remembered to post this, but we do have some concept art work of Godzilla (neither one of is being used though):

5362235514_d88eae2e4f.jpg

I'd be fine with the first one, its okay but not the greatest of them all. The second Godzilla design reminds of GINO and all of the raptorizations of Godzilla monsters that have been popping up in fanarts throughout the years. I don't want Godzilla to look like a supersized Jurassic Park reject again.

Edited by Purgstall

• 3 months later...
David S. Goyer best known for his work in Nolan's Batman Trilogy is set to rewrite the script for the movie remake of the tokusatsu film Godzilla according to the reports from The Deadline. Currently, he is writing for Zack Snyder's upcoming Superman reboot entitled, Man of Steel.

David Callaham already wrote a script for the planned Godzilla remake. If the film is made, Warner Brothers and TOHO will distribute it in their respective countries. Director Gareth Edwards and Legendary Pictures producers Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni are also attached to the project.

Legendary Pictures indicated that its version will hew closer to the original 1954 film rather than Sony's 1998 Godzilla remake.

found this in JEFusion , lets hope legendary pictures gets this right AND does not make the humans the main focus. we can only hope.

I don't have much experience with the whole Godzilla franchise but I did managed to see some of the classics which features Biolanate, Mecha Godzilla and Mothra. Comparing it to the US version, film quality wise, the US version has the upper hand in terms of cinematography. But I just can't help think that the American version of Godzilla was just a glorified dinosaur.

I might be one of the few people who liked the American Godzilla flick better than any of the Japanese ones.

With the possible exception of "Terror Times Three". Or did I already say that?

I liked the American Godzilla, too. Even the cartoon series based on it. I got the movie's soundtrack.

But I just can't help think that the American version of Godzilla was just a glorified dinosaur.

That's because it and it's children were more or less Jurassic Park rip offs. I hated GINO, but I loved the cartoon series that it spawned. I was so disappointed in the remake, even when I saw it in the theaters as a little kid. Godzilla is suppose to be nigh unstoppable juggernaut. GINO was simply a pest. I could go on and on on why I think the 98 remake was terrible, but I won't. The directors still get bitched out about their remake even today. I'm almost certain that Legendary Pictures will do a much better job than Tristar's abomination. As for Goyer writing, I'm actually surprised that they got one of the writers of the new Batman movies to write it. I know that for a while LP was wanting Guillermo Del Toro to write it or maybe it was directing it but he said no and is doing his own monster movie, Pacific Rim. On a side note, when I first heard that Goyer was writing this movie, I couldn't help but think of this:

tumblr_lnrb8sCz0c1qldc9to1_500.jpg

I have faith in Legendary Pictures that they'll do a decent Godzilla remake, they certainly can't do worse than Tristar's attempt. I doubt it'll be an oscar winning movie or anything, but I think it'll do ok at the box office and with critics.

Edited by Purgstall

That scene alone was the reason why i bought Final wars in the first place. :mrgreen:

I still regret buying Final Wars. The movie was a massive disappointment to me and not even the few positive things about this movie can redeem it.

The pros for Final Wars:

-Don Frye. His acting was so hilarious to watch. Easily my favorite actor in the movie.

-Some of the redesigns were good.

-Godzilla vs Zilla fight

-All of the nods to some of the movies like Gorath.

Cons:

-The plot ripped off things from so many American movies its not even funny.

-They try cramming so many things and barely explain some of it.

-The some of the redesigns were pretty crappy like Kumonga's, King Caesar's, etc.

-Monster X, though interesting, looks like he belongs in Ultraman rather than Godzilla.

-Some of the suits like the Anguirus and Kaiser Ghidorah suit looked absolutely terrible.

-For his 50th anniversary movie, Godzilla is only in the movie for like 10 minutes. You'd think he'd be in the movie a helluva lot more than that.

-Hedorah gets offed in just a few seconds. One of Godzilla's most dangerous opponents and one of the few to even come close to killing him barely makes an appearance and gets killed as if he was chump. They would've been better off leaving him out of the film.

-The fights are short (I'm fine with G vs Zilla being short, the others not so much) and not very entertaining.

-There was practically no character development at all.

Godzilla certainly deserved a better 50th anniversary movie than Final Wars.

Also, Destroy All Monsters and Godzilla vs Megalon are being released on DVD and Blu Ray by Media Blasters: http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/45621/more-godzilla-vs-megalon-and-destroy-all-monsters-blu-ray

they have different production values though. ultraman is made for a weekly tv show. the monsters are not intended to make as much of an impact and need a lesser budget and simpler design.

godzilla is made for movie and as such has bigger budget for creature design.

this is what i expect, but i don't know for sure. godzilla fans can confirm?