Does anyone feel like the Guyver is dead?

Does anyone feel like the Guyver is completely dead?

No new manga chapters, 2 horribly made movies, and a 2005 anime adaptation that didn't even get to see a 2nd season. 

Everyone here is always waiting and hoping for something and yes. We've been kicking dirt for a long time now. Since I joined here back when Yuki/Jess was the owner. Everyone was waiting on a new anime or a new movie that never happened. 

To be completely honest. I've given up on ever seeing anything new come to the table. Honestly, I'd give anything for a new movie to be made. Ghost in the Shell got a new movie. Maybe in the far away future Guyver will too. 

But the thing about that is. I'm done waiting on it. I've since moved on. By saying that I mean. I never get excited about what goes on with the Guyver because nothing ever happens anymore. 

So yes. Matter of fact. I think we're all waiting on a corpse to get up and walk around. I feel that the Guyver is something of the past now. Dormant and sleeping until someone comes along and brings it back because I feel like it was stuck on the DNR list.  Dead until someone wants to resuscitate the series. 

Agreed. The source material may be all but dead, but the franchise is going pretty strong this year compared to others. The statues alone are a good sign that it isn't dead. The manga may be suffering with readership and interest on that level, but the franchise seems to be going along decently. 

• Like 2

This is basically how Guyver has been it's entire run. Sometimes we get a lot of content/merch all at once... And then nothing for a while.

But we still have a bunch of Guyver merchandise on the way, despite some of the pieces being very expensive.

This is similar to 10 or so years ago after the 2005 TV series ended and the BioFighter figure line ended.

It certainly is not the "right" way to be releasing a manga, but it is the way Takaya gets away with... And as fans, we have to put up with.

So if you feel there is nothing for Guyver to offer you, then please move on. There is no reason to waste your time on something you don't feel is worth it. Take a year or two off from it. Focus on another hobby, or maybe just another series. The worst thing anyone can do is stick around and build up frustration because there isn't any new content.

I stay a Guyver fan because I do side projects based on my own Guyver related creations. That's how I fight the drought of official content... but even then there was quite a few years were I basically did nothing Guyver related ( heck, I got burnt out on anime in General). And when I came back looking for something, I found new reasons to enjoy it.

But as it stands, Guyver has not been cancelled. New content is expected. Eventually. And even if I cannot afford those expensive statues, they are officially licensed... So that mean someone is paying to have this stuff made because there is still interest in a 30+ year old series

But what you do is up to you.

• Like 1

I'll always follow guyver, it is a bit frustrating that the manga has slowed down, but it's out of my control. I have other interests that keep me amused, so anything guyver that comes out is like icing on a cake! Perhaps forget about guyver for a while if it's getting to you, no one could blame you with the speed it's being released,  that's for sure.

I wish I could afford those statues as well! They are really amazing looking! Hopefully I can figure out a way to at least get the Guyver 1. I also want the dark hero bust... Guyver is a passion of mine. The lag in the manga doesn't affect me too much. I of course want to see where it is going and can't wait to read more, but there are worse things. He could be completely gone with nothing to look forward to like Baoh or something. It is the same with most series. Mazinger Z and Devilman have been hit or miss with releases. Yet, next year they will both have new series/movies out to commemorate the 40th anniversary of both. Good characters seldom fully go away. If there are fans to scoop it up, it will in some form keep chugging along!

Yeah man I feel ya...

Most of the people here are massive fans and like collecting the toys and models etc but for people in the minority like me that really couldn't care less about owning Guyver shaped lumps of plastic, this is definitely a hard series to stay interested in. It feels very much like the guy is burned out and actually dreads having to sit down and draw anymore. He's happy to make money off the back of the franchise by "assisting" with other projects but it's clear that he doesn't give a toss about selling his manga anymore which is sad. I'll still check in from time to time of course but I'm 99% sure he's taking this to the grave with him so I'm more than prepared for that. 

• Like 1

I agree with most of what you say, tricoben. If he planned to take it to the grave with him though, I don't think he would have searched for an assistant like he did last year. Perhaps he wanted to let someone else do the work for him and oversee things. It may be misplaced,  but I do think it will come to an end. It will just take some time I fear.

• Like 1

Personally i'm still pumped for the Guyver III Figma in July!! Gonna be the biggest figure release this year!!

I'll be eagerly anticipating Wonder Festival in July as well for new announcements. New content will always come, but sometimes it's good to take break for a while.

On the bright side, Berserk is back and has a S2 anime airing!

In a sense, Guyver is not dead, it's sleeping.

Several years ago, people were upset because it was said that there were only a few more volumes to go. I think somebody said there would be no more than 35 volumes. but now, Mr Takaya has put on the breaks and he's keeping it going.

I expect he's just taking a long break before he decides to just finish the series. We don't have too much left to go through at this point. I just really want to know who Apollon is personally then I'll be happy. 

• 2 months later...

Guyver was my first and only comic book hero that i attached to. But over the years and the lack of content being released across the pond, no new movie or 2nd season to the 2005 series on the horizon and now the chapters being on hiatus for quite a while. Rather than just stress over that i attached my self to DC Comics and that's been keeping me occupied and not thinking about Guyver. I really want to see it come to a close and i want to see a new updated movie with big budget special effects like Ghost in the Shell got and i want to see a continuation of the 2005 anime, i don't want to see another reboot in 5-10 years time. But i have feeling that is what we will get because i think 12 years is too long of a gap to continue a series. But i wouldn't complain if they did reboot it unless they actually followed through and continued it beyond. 

Edited by Matt
  • Like 3

I would really hope not. I never truly knew what the Guyver series was until I started watching the anime. And in watching the 26 episode series I understood just how interesting this franchise was, not only was it cool to watch but also had a very gripping yet engrossing plot. It was a little disappointing to find that the anime series had only lasted until episode 26, but then I realized the manga was still ongoing, so I slowly begun to read that. Naturally I just picked up where I left off, which was straight after Neo-Zektole's defeat and the Zoalords reshaping the world. Now I am eagerly awaiting the events to come, following volumes 31-32.

I never did watch or follow the series from the beginning like many of you, but it's certainly worth mentioning that I do encourage friends of mine often to check it out. It is definitely an intriguing series. To be honest I still have not even seen two live-action films lol. I also found out that the anime I watched (2005) was just a remake of the original, consisting of only 12 episodes. Nonetheless I plan on doing all that while the series is *fingers crossed* simply on hiatus.

I have also been interested to collect its merchandise. Already bought the Guyver 3 K-Soul (Korea Designed Toy) light. Still in the package.

Edited by Zarc
  • Like 1

hopefully it's not dead, i've been following guyver since i was 6 years old and i'm 26 now. I would really like it to be completed but sometimes the slow pace really kills me and i worry that it may never get finished. I remember picking up the animated movies at blockbuster when vhs was all we had and no dvds. Then i even got the live action movies and completely loved guyver. It even shaped how i ended up liking mangas and anime pretty much loving super action and bloody violent stuff like gantz, berserk, blame!, biomega, elfen lied, and others. Hopefully he gets an assistant that can help him finish the manga and all of us fans can get a nice ending and closure on this amazing manga. 

Edited by outOfcontrol3
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...