Sign in to follow this  
Polyonymous

Attack on Titan(live action film)

Heard great things about this anime. Now they're making a movie. Here's the trailer!

• Like 1

If Toho know how to do one thing its giant monster movies!

• Like 1

So, has anyone seen it?  It's a bit gory but the source materials isn't all song and dance either.  And I think part 2 is about to come out.  What are your thoughts on the movie?

I enjoyed the manga, a gripping read I thought. I'll have to check out this movie. Thanks for the link, I never seem to find out about things until waaaay after

It came out months ago, but all I hear is thunderous silence. That does not bode well.

I hear they changed Mikasa's character. Who could believe that's a good idea.

• Like 1

its quite bad, theres this ordinary guy throwing a titan and a ridiculous brawling baby titan.  

Oh crap....it bombed with bad reviews. :(

The movie has received intense criticism from fans of the Attack on Titan manga and anime series for taking creative liberties from the source material. Kotaku said "The First Attack on Titan Movie Stinks".[33] SFX artist Yoshihiro Nishimura and director Shinji Higuchi responded to some critics, with Nishimura calling out critics who have criticized the film's special effects for not living up to the standards of Hollywood effects, stating, "I’m sorry, but deciding what movies to see based on their budget, and comparing everything to Hollywood, that’s like how some people feel secure buying Okame natto when they go to the supermarket", while one critic who criticized the characters in the film made Higuchi reply, "who’s the idiot who gave this guy an early release of the film?!"[34]

However some reviews have been positive praising the movie for being a unique stand alone horror/fantasy movie. South China Morning Post claimed the movie was "One of the most perversely original fantasy movies in recent memory, this adaptation of a Japanese manga series is a schizophrenic mix of genres."[35] Anime News Network also praised the movie. "Outstanding and immersive aesthetic unlike any other horror movie, swiftly paced and gripping start to finish, sharp script with heavy thematic undertones, holds up completely as its own work of art divorced from the source material."[36]

The film was number-one on its opening weekend, with US$5.1 million.

Source:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Titan_(film)

I don't get it, it bombed but opened up as number one?  Does this mean that the fans didn't like it but the general audience love it?  So financially speaking, was it a success or a disaster?  I would imagine it did good since there's part 2 coming out.

Watched it... it looks good, but they pretty much butchered the story. I would compare it to "The last Airbender".

• Like 1

Yeah, I watched it too and they had a number of problems with it. Such as the whole backstory of Mikasa, ethnicitys' becoming extinct etc. If you just want to watch it as a "movie" it's okay. But don't watch it as if trying to compare it to the anime. It's no live action Rurouni Kenshin. 

Well, not too surprised with the results. Japan's movies are easily as hit and miss as Hollywood's when it comes to destroying source material.

• Like 1

The movie is pretty bad. I love the manga, I even enjoyed the anime, but movie was more amusing than fascinating. First of all, only Japanesee cast... I don't want to sound racist or something, but come on... In manga only Mikasa's family is Asian descedant. All the chopper wrecks around the wall, what the hell?. Titans look creppy, but not in manga-like cool way, but like creepy-cheesy bad way. Sex scene before Titans ambush was pretty amusing, it was like never go full retard. And this fut guy with big axe who takedown a titan.... For real? Did the person who is responsible for the script has ever read the manga? Thismovie is bad and creator of this should feel bad.