Sign in to follow this  
durendal

Gundam 00 (Double 0)

Like topic says, anybody following the new Gundam series? So far I have seen up to episode 9 and it's refresshing to see the main characters without any moral conflicts like those guys in Seed. I especially like the concept having more than 3 factions in a battle (federation vs colony vs main char), since the 3 way battle has long since been overused. I have a lot of questions which I hope will be answered inteligently, not just because they needed an answer for the sake of filling plot holes.

Coolsome Mech's, can't wait for an MG release. What MS can snipe an orbiting object from earth. Now how cool is that?

I am. And I have to say, I am absolutely hating Setsuna F. Siei. He's cocky, impulsive, incompetent, and does stupid things all too often. If Celestial Being goes down, it will most likely be because he screwed up big time. Hell, the only reason I can think of for him being such a piss poor character is so that the show can demonstrate how much he improves. And so far, I have seen no improvement.

Edited by Hyp3rB14d3

I have to say, Gundam 00 may not be the greatest Gundam series out there, but it sure is fun (and easy) to mock. Three of the Gundam meisters have stupid names (Lockon, Allelujah, Tieria), Allelujah is

secretly batshit crazy

, Setsuna F. Seiei doesn't seem to get that the identities of the Gundam meisters are supposed to be kept secret (

and even tells the leader of some country outright that he is one of Celestial Being's Gundam meisters, as well as the name he is using at his current place of residence

:lol: ), and Tieria looks like they accidentally gave a female character a male voice actor (

"his" Gundam even has a feminine shape and long red hair, although most ofthe time armor covers it

). And I have to say, episode 10 was easily the most mockable so far.

I watched the episode in RAW, so I probably missed a lot of content (although it was a fight scene episode, so maybe not <_< ). That said, I nearly fell over because I was laughing so hard when they

captured Kyrios, in its jet form, by throwing a net on it.

But the stupidity didn't end there. After securely

capturing Kyrios, they placed it in a cargo ship and begin cutting into it with a chainsaw. Without restraining it or keeping any mobile suits in the ship to keep an eye on it... And then they act all surprised when it proceedes to break out. :lol: Allelujah's other, more evil personality (who I will refer to from now on as Vampire Allelujah, since he has fangs that Allelujah doesn't have) comes out, and proceeds to shock the supersoldier by demonstrating his amazing ability to follow targets moving in straight directions with his gun. A soldier butts in, and Vampire Allelujah manages to catch, but not kill, him. At this point, the other soldiers ditch him and run away, after which Vampire Allelujah kills the soldier slowly, something you don't see very often in mobile suit battles since the soldiers usually die from the mobile suit exploding or from being hit by enemy gun/lazer/cannonfire. Allelujah and Vampire Allelujah then have an argument, which was probably over Vampire Allelujah killing the one guy (although because it was in Japanese, I couldn't actually understand what was being said). During this, they both referred to each other as Allelujah, so they appearently have the same name (groan).

Meanwhile,

Tieria is cornered by the rest of the enemy soldiers, and proceeds to demonstrate his lack of ability to hit enemies directly in front of him with his ridiculously wide laser (which, being a concentrated beam of light, should move at the speed of light, making it essentially undodgeable). But still, they all manage to avoid being hit, after which they proceed to gang up on him before his laser has time to recharge. After tying him up, but not taking away his gun, Tieria tries to shoot the mobile suit holding the rope restraining his gun arm, at which point the soldiers decide that letting him keep his weapons while tied up was a stupid thing to do and proceed to take them off and pile on top of him. Tieria then jetisons Virtue's armor, revealing a completely different (and very feminine looking in comparison) Gundam. He then proceeds to...grab the guns he dropped and reveal no new abilities whatsoever as he shoots them. (Actually, scratch that. Apparently, jetisonning his armor makes the laser's beam radius bigger. For some reason.<_<) However, his new, girlier Gundam that seems to simply be Virtue with its armor jetisoned is enough to scare away the soldiers, and they flee, leaving Tieria to cry about showing them his Gundam's actual, girly appearance.

Edit: :blink: Just saw a subbing of the fight scenes. Uh...apparently, I was actually right in my random guess about why Tieria was crying... It actually was over showing the enemy his Gundam's actual appearance. Now I just kind of feel bad...

Edit 2: Oh yeah, and it turns out Allelujah and Vampire Allelujah don't actually have the same name. Vampire Allelujah is actually named Halleluja. Thus, they sound almost the same, but not quite.

Edited by Hyp3rB14d3

I don't despise the show, I think it's hilarious, and it has some pretty good fight scenes to boot. But like I said, it's fun to mock the show.

Edited by Hyp3rB14d3

Ah, my mistake then. I on the other hand find the seires appealing. Still haven't managed to find the time the watch episode 10, hopefully I won't be disappointed.

I wonder what kind of upgrade they will be implementing in this series. Starting from the Wing series, upgrades are mostly their old units customized. Unlike in the olden times, when they acquire new MS, it's a wholly different MS, like Gundam Mk-II to Z Gundam, or ReGZ to Nu Gundam, or even Shining Gundam to God Gundam. As per previous shows, we see Strike to Freedom to Strike Freedom. Although the suits are different, the concept of the suit stays the same. I just hope when they do upgrade, they just don't clone their existing MS and just give them different names.

I think they could have done a better job characterizing Setsuna as Kurdish child that fought against total genocide and killed his parents as a sign of conviction. As for constantly revealing himself, Setsuna is getting away with it isn't he? Its not like he's showing his face next to the Gundam, no one even took it seriously. When he walked out of his Gundam to learn the identity of the enemy pilot, I think that was justified since he kept his helmet on, and the dude did make him kill his parents. And compared to the other pilots, I think he handles the missions best. Tieria goes emo whenever something goes wrong, Allelujah is totally batshit, and Lockon (WHAT COOL NAME! :rolleyes: ) obviously has problems with terrorists. Last, I at least respect the main character's position on wars and killing: while bureaucrats and politicians talk People die.

I also hate that everyone's totally batshit or emo.

Why did Allelujah get caught so easy? HE DIDN'T EVEN FIGHT BACK! Shouldn't they have just shot him or filled the cockpit with knock out gas if they needed to extract information? Also Tieria really couldn't hit his opponent even when they stood still and tried to pierce his shield? He had three guns!

I guess I just have high hopes for this series since the protagonist isn't a clone of Amuro Ray, and his background is unique. Unfortunately they made him exactly like Heero Yui from Wing Gundam in that he's a robot with no personality. Sure he was fighting since he was a child and then trained as a Meister, but why give him that background then? Then again, if they tried to make the protagonist a typical Kurdish kid then they would loose all their fanbase. Japanese People just love to stick with the douchebag with glasses, the schizo, the emo, and the apathetic robot.

For some reason, I don't like these gundams either. Its probably because none of them have actual guns. Its all glowy beams, no bullets or solid blades. My favorite gundams from Wing Gundam were actually Sandrock and Heavy Arms now that I think about it.

I have some hope for the future though...Lockon has a grudge against terrorists. I know Setsuna can't really be considered one, but if Lockon knew his background then there may be some friction. The two do appear to be on better terms with each other than the other Meisters (Why do they all themselves this? German is cool sometimes but come on)

Okay, I've seen the entire episode subtitled now, and several things were clarified.

That said, while I was watching it the second time, I was kicking myself for forgetting to mention Allelujah's wailing over apparently getting caught by a net.

Allelujah didn't fight back because that supersoldier girl's mind uses some sort of enhanced wavelength. Turns out Allelujah is also a supersoldier, and uses the same wavelength. The result is that when they are in proximity of each other, they interfere with each other's minds. The result in this case was that Allelujah actually lost consciousness just from being near her (and then Vampire Hallelujah* came out). (On a different note, this is probably why they were successful in capturing Kyrios with a net.)

As for Tieria standing still when supersoldier girl (I really need to find out what her name is) tried to pierce his shield, she wasn't trying to pierce it. She was successfully piercing it (using real bullets, by the way), and he wasn't doing anything because she was jolting him around too much. That said, it was still pretty pathetic to watch.

As for Setsuna being like Heero Yui, I beg to differ. While their personalities are similar, their priorities are different. Heero focused on nothing but the mission, where Setsuna puts the mission on a backseat to his personal vendetas. The result is that we see a lot more of his personality, whereas Yui tended to leave us in the dark about his thoughts on the situation. Also, Setsuna doesn't have a pun for a name.**

Now onto what I missed. Tieria tried to kill Allelujah for being incompetent when he got captured. Shortly afterwards, Tieria proceeds to screw up himself, and then cries about it (which I mentioned earlier). And while it's funny as hell to see someone as cold and emotionless as him break down crying not because he failed or because he lost someone close to him, but because he accidentally showed the enemy more than he intended to, considering that he considers the death sentence as a reasonable punishment for failure, it's not actually that far fetched. That said, it's more fun to point and laugh than to try to understand his point-of-view.

Also, in watching the episode with subtitles, I discovered that I was wrong about them forgetting to restrain Kyrios because they were idiots. Turns out they knew he was unconscious, and that they didn't totally leave it unrestrained (they clamped it down to keep it from moving, but it clearly wasn't anywhere near enough to hold it, considering Kyrios destroyed the restraints just by sitting up).

*Yes, I am going to keep refering to Hallelujah as that.

**On a side note, it is worth mentioning that it seems to be somewhat of a tradition to have characters in Gundam series with stupid names. For example, Heero Yui, Flay Allster, Bright Noa, and my personal favorite (namewise, anyways), Ray Za Barrel.

Edited by Hyp3rB14d3

Well, I've seem many Gundam series in my time and I have to say that at least in here, they don't try to emulate the UC timeline. Just take a look at Wing, you've got your token ace soldier with a mask who has a mysterious past, (let's just put this as a "Char Complex"), Zechs Marquuise = Char, Harry Ord = Char, Rau le Crusset = Char, Neo Loanork = Char, Chronicle Asher = Char.

Although I'm not defending Gundma 00, I'm just saying that it's too early to say that it is another disaster waiting to happen. If we get into the middle part of the series, like on the 20th episode or beyond and still no significant development, then there is really something wrong with the series.

Of course its a tradition that they showcase how cool the lead characters are, then they also show how pathetic they are, and in the end, we see them redeeming themselves by doing something that would make us praise them. That's what we call character development, which is what I failed to see duing Seed Destiny.

That's cause Shinn was supposed to be the main character, but Athren and Kira were just too much more popular, so he got dropped. And they were already developed (well, they tried to develop Athren a little near the end).

I kinda miss the char character.

Yea you guys are right, I totally forgot that Heero was all about the mission.

And thank god Shin lost the limelight later on! Maybe its his seiyu or his albino skin, but he really pissed me off. I got it! It was the fact that he blamed ORB (Big government) for all his problems, rather than realizing he would be long dead as a Coordinator on earth without them.

Of course its a tradition that they showcase how cool the lead characters are, then they also show how pathetic they are, and in the end, we see them redeeming themselves by doing something that would make us praise them. That's what we call character development, which is what I failed to see duing Seed Destiny.

Actually, I think that's what they call improvement. Character development is when the characters personality either gradually changes or more aspects of it are revealed. For example, Hero Yui, at the beginning of Gundam Wing, showed very little emotion and always focused on the mission. By the end of it, however, he had developed into a character with emotions (although he still tended to focus on the mission). Another example would be Kira Yamato in Gundam Seed. At the beginning of the series, he was very unsure of himself and his position on the war (his cause for fighting simply being to protect those he cared about), but by the end of the series, he was very confident and had come to a decision (both sides are wrong, and his cause for fighting being to end the war while reducing casualties). Shin actually started to go through character development, but Stellar's death shocked him back to worse than he was at square one, and manipulation from Ray and Dullindal kept him there.

Very true. that's the reason why I liked Seed better than Seed Destiny. The net is already full of emo people, we don't need to see another one. What Kira did in Seed was commendable, and it seems to me that they tried to do the same to Athrun at Seed Destiny, but didn't quite make it.

Well, still haven't seen episode 10 yet and the raw for 11 is already out. Damn computer broke down.

The only positive things about 00 is that the fight scenes are really good and the mechs aren't half bad either. Every thing else after that well... it's Gundam. But one thing I never really could quite grasp is why sunrise chose someone who doesn't even like the Gundam series to direct it. I was reading Newtype USA and when they interviewed him in was evident that this is the first time he has even done a mech series. Though I was pleased to see that the mech designer for FMP did the mech designs, I've always enjoyed the way his mechs look so for me this is a real perk. But WTF where they thinking letting the character from Loveless to do the series character designs? WTF... seriously this is something that Gundam started with Wing and it has doomed every new Gundam since. Why must the male characters look like there gay? It's almost as if there headed down the same dangerous path that eventually ruined the FF series. I mean Mu was the only one from the newest Gundam series that wasn't gay. And even then they ruined him in Destiny when they made him in to Neo. Neo yet again WTF I know he could pwn over Kira if Kira was piloting a MS that was like the ultimate cheat code.

It would be a fresh take to let someone new to the genre take the helm of Gundam. For the benefit of the doubt, at least they can have ideas that are out of the box. Seen episode 10 and we get to learn a schizo is among the cast and could be quite a plot device in the future. And we learn that the big fat blob is a sexy chick after all. :biggrin:

Anybody else beginning to wonder why the hell Saji Crossroad (ugh) is a main character? At first I thought they were going to have him become an important character later, but now I'm beginning to wonder. He's not important to the story, and seems to be more of a distraction from the main story than anything else. The only other reason I can think of is to try to show how normal People are viewing what's going on, but they could easily do that with minor characters. What exactly is he there for?

Perhaps later in the series he might be useful for something. Since Saji and Setsuna met in an earlier episode, I would think that their meeting would serve a purpose later on. So far we've seen the other abilities of Allelujah and the other guy with glasses, do you think Setsuna and Lockon have hidden abilities as well. It seems that it's such a big deal being a Gundam Meister that no ordinary humans can become one.

Yeah, The reporters little brother probebly will develope a relationship with the Meisters somehow.

Especially since his sister seems to be coming closer to contacting them/tracking them down.

I love the new mech designs for this series so far. No more 'dog bots', or big mechanical crabs. It's too bad that they all still have inexplicable five fingers, and need to pull the trigger of their guns, but oh well. I love Exia. It's sleek, and a nice nod to the origional design. I like how instead of doing mechanical feather wings, they've got light particles that spread out. I can live without them firing bullets, its nice that the Gundams are supposed to be advanced tech.

The biggest problem I had was with the second half of the terrorist story. We had all this build up in the first half, with everything being so emotional and everything, and then thud. The second half was a simple operation.

It's like- oh, the government gave us the terrorists address.

That was nice.

And Setsuna was in a car chase with them, screetched out, and the police caught them? So what was the point of a meister being there if they were so easy to catch?

Kind of anitclimactic in my opinion. Oh well.

The series is still good so far

But WTF where they thinking letting the character from Loveless to do the series character designs? WTF... seriously this is something that Gundam started with Wing and it has doomed every new Gundam since. Why must the male characters look like there gay?

That's why I've always hated everything about Gundam outside of the Mobile Suit fights scenes! Thank you man, it all makes sense now, that's why I thought the character's were gay as hell, CAUSE THEY WERE DESIGNED THAT WAY!

:lol: Hit it right on the mark there, huh. Still, if you think the characters in Gundam are bad, you should watch Dragonauts. Jin and Kazuki are the worst I've ever seen (especially Kazuki; at least Jin doesn't look quite as bad after the opening 2 years before when the series takes place). The best part is when Kazuki tries to act threatening while looking like that. He just can't pull it off at all, and every time he did it made me burst out laughing (although he later changes his appearance so that he looks more like an idiot than anything else). Edited by Hyp3rB14d3

Well, recently watched the latest episode of Gundam 00 and what an interesting turn of events. Turns out the Gundams weren't uber strong after all. We get to see them being beaten the crap out of them. And looks like there will be additional new Gundam.

spoilers:

I'm guessing that the one who just saved Setsuna's ass was also the one who saved him back then in his childhood. And thus he inherited the Exia from him. Just a conjecture.

The Gundams weren't Uber strong?

865 vrs 4, in a 15 hour bombardment, and they finally fell due to pilot exaustion? With the addition of 3 Gundams to the battle, I'm placing my money on Celestial being.

Agreed. After all, the Kyrios actually took a barrage at point blank while Allelujah and Vampire Hallelujah were switching, and it was perfectly fine afterwards.

Well, uber strong in a sense that they can't be defeated by normal MS. In this case, they were totally outmatched by the sheer amount of MS pounding on them. And it is logical for their strategy to tire out the Gundam pilots as their aim was to capture the unit and not destroy them.

Gundam Throne huh? Isn't quite aesthetically pleasing to me as I'd expected.