Sign in to follow this  
Chernaudi

Ancient Aliens TV show

I wonder how many of you have seen the Ancient Aliens TV series on History 2?  I watch it mostly just to watch something on TV.  First off, I don't really believe in aliens, but with the origins of live, I do believe that anything is possible until we find out why we're actually here as we are, be it aliens, divine intervention, or simple evolution. 

But what is most striking to me is how similar a lot of the Ancient Alien theory stuff is to certain plot elements of Bio-Booster Armor Guyver.  If it wasn't for coincidence (how many of these guys have heard of Guyver anyways?), I'd swear that a lot of the stuff that they reference seem to have many similarities to the plot lines of Guyver.  But it can also be supposed and asked how many similarities that certain elements of Guyver have to the Erich von Däniken book Chariots of the Gods? , the book that started the Ancient Alien theory as a mainstream thought on the possibility of how ancient life began.  Again, probably coincidence.

I posted this here because I wasn't really sure of where it would fit.  I do have this advice:  If this becomes a discussion mostly about how Guyver is similar to the Ancient Alien theory, it can be moved to the Guyver section.  If it's a general discussion about the TV show, it can stay here or go to the entertainment section if it fits there, or if it becomes a discussion about the Ancient Astronaut theory, it can be placed in science and philosophy.  Not sure where this topic fits, nor where the discussion will take us, but we do have to get there first, so discuss away, and the mods/admins can then see where best this fits.

The theory of ancient aliens has been around for a long time and its been a part of science fiction for just as long, just look up H.P.Lovecraft's short story At the Mountains of Madness written in 1936 it popularized the idea of ancient astronauts in the first place. The back story of Guyver as well as Ridley Scott's Prometheus and quite a few other science fiction stories where inspired by this same concept and they all share similarites because of it. In Warhammer 40k for example their was an ancient race called the Old Ones created many of the races in that universe (Eldar, Orks etc) as part of their intergalactic war so its not that unique an idea.

But Guyver does do a good job of putting a fresh spine on the idea and the story built around it is a very good one.

Edited by AdolphusStrigoi

I am surprised that you do not believe in alien life.  I mean, I can understand not believing in it not visiting Earth; but in just a small region of the sky, we have already found I think 50 planets in the Goldilocks zone, 5 of them Earth size.  The odds are good that it exists

I don't really believe in god, either--I'm religiously agnostic.  But I don't deny the possibility of a god or gods existing.  I think that it's also possible that aliens may exist.  But because there's not proof to show that any of this stuff exists yet, I'll reserve judgement until the evidence starts to mount.

Also, I do feel that sometimes people underestimate what ancient man may've been capable of as well.  It's possible that god or gods exist, it's possible that aliens exist, and it's IMO even possible that ancient man was capable of more than we often give credit for.  This all does go to show that there's a lot to learn from history, and that we must continue to try and unravel the mysteries of ancient times.  If we want to learn where we came from, that's what me must do, and treat such study as a moving target.  We have a long way to go to find the true origins of life, whatever it may be.