Sign in to follow this  
Mecha

Mecha's Blog

Hey everyone!

It's been a while since I've been around these parts. Quite a few of you will know me as the ever-mental Dr. Mecha from the GuyverBoard. I used to be an Administrator over there with Ryuki and the others and I mainly performed maintenance on the site (along with various bits of interesting moderation).

An unknown secret from the GuyverBoard days was that myself and Ryuki were working on a similar system this site has right now. It wasn't a wiki, but it would have been a way for users to contribute Guyver information to the masses.

It's funny to think that through the Guyver, I had found some of the best people on earth. The people I met through the GuyverBoard and indeed this site truly have my respect for the amount of love and time they put into their chosen subjects, be it Guyver,Tokusatsu or otherwise.

These days, I don't do much forum stuff. When the GuyverBoard folded and became the stuff of forum legend, I decided to start up a gaming website. That site didn't quite go the way I had invisioned so it was closed quite early on. From there, I drifted a little until I decided to give it all another go.

I now run ConsoleCore, a hybrid video game journalism / blog site which lets me leak all the industry information I've got access to out onto the interwebs. Through it, I talk about recent news, write editorials and post up reviews.

Every so often I drift back here to 'annoy' those I know. Ryuki's never managed to get rid of me (well... not yet anyway!) so I guess I'll continue to be the site nomad.

If you have gaming questions... hit me with them. I like the challenge of finding the answer's that people want to know (especially when I have to look at my e-mail list of PR reps).

Until next time friends, stay tuned to this channel.

hm, I had completely forgotten about that thing we were doing to do with guyver info.

what an interesting peer into net history! :)

since we lost guyvernet and guyverboard, we have not really managed to recover the extensive info that we did have.

it's sad that the resource is now gone.

but of course the VDF project was completed, we have a complete english vdf and we have much more manga than we did have.

nice to see you've opened up a blog, it'll be interesting to see what you put in here :)

I hate that the GuyverBoard is gone... it was an excellent reference for everything Guyver even in it's locked state. I dared to go through my old website files when the site closed in the hopes of finding a copy of the SQL file from when I was an Admin but couldn't find one.

You'll probably see me contributing to this blog topic quite a bit. I'm always talking nonsense so it'll be a good outlet for some crazy stuff to escape my mind.

Hao! Mecha. It's really been a long time.

Oh, speaking of the old guyverboard, any of you saved my translation for the TV series? I was hoping we could incorporate that into the guyver wiki we have here.

If you have gaming questions... hit me with them. I like the challenge of finding the answer's that people want to know (especially when I have to look at my e-mail list of PR reps).

*Throws box of Starcraft II at Mecha* :lol: Anyway, I've an easy question. Got anything on the next expansion?

Hao! Mecha. It's really been a long time.

Indeed it has, I hope you're doing well Durendal. :)

*Throws box of Starcraft II at Mecha* :lol: Anyway, I've an easy question. Got anything on the next expansion?

Nothing substansial yet but watch for new info on October 21st and 22nd as Blizzcon will be in full-swing. I'm expecting some big news there regarding StarCraft 2's next expansion (I'm also expecting news on Starcraft 2's DOTA addon).

With Activision wanting Blizzard to release more games over the next three years (6 games in total), I'm sure we'll be hearing lots more out of them in due time. Although, talking to Blizzard is like repeatedly whacking a brick wall at times.

NEW BLOG POST

Tonight, the world lost a technological visionary... a man ahead of his time and a man that ran out of time before the final curtain ever fell. I'm speaking of Steve Jobs, the co-founder and Chief Executive Officer of Apple, Inc who died aged 56.

Each and every day I use my iPhone to listen to music, send e-mails, update my website, tweet on twitter, play games (Angry Birds!) and make phone calls. All that power from one small brick is just one of the revolution's he pushed throughout his 30 year career.

When I was younger, I was taught to type on a Macintosh. Those where the days of true in-school computing. It's been a pleasure to use and see the technologies Steve pioneered mature over my 24 years on this earth. Not a day goes by where I don't thank Apple for contributing to my love for technology.

Steve Jobs improved millions of lives with his groundbreaking work. He shall be sorely missed

• Like 1

NEW BLOG POST

My personal life's a little messed up at this point. I've had an on-going right ear issue for a while now and have been scheduled for a CT Scan next Tuesday to determine what's going on. I've lost a good portion of my hearing and I've also been having pain. The inner ear was all fine during my last check-up so hopefully the CT Scan will unlock the answers as it's expected to be at the back of the ear leading into the nerves.

I've spent the whole day working on my website's framework to try and make it use less CPU and RAM cycles and I think it's stable now... I keep fiddling with it due to the amount of data being "borrowed" by outside sources such as blogs, forums and social networks.

I'll be picking up Dark Souls on XBOX 360 tomorrow to quell my thirst for an epic dungeon crawler. I had planned on picking up RAGE but with the PC version being an absolute mess and the console versions way too pricey at this point, I'm skipping it until further notice.

I finally finished up my Gears of War 3 Campaign Review offering it an amazing 9.0 out of 10. I enjoyed the game's campaign and I may actually review the multiplayer if I have the time to write one up in a few days.

I'm planning on doing more Japan-Legend Wiki stuff throughout the weekend. Hoping to flesh out some more company profiles and game series. I'm looking for a nice, peaceful weekend, here's hoping I get one!

NEW BLOG POST

I've just bought a new PC! 8-)

This one's getting on in years (now 3 but has had many internal changes) and is daring to overheat every minute that goes by. I really don't want to cause any damage to the HDD's or the RAM there-in cause I'll use them in my new machine when it arrives.

Case: Antec 300 Case with Purple LED Fans

PSU: OCZ ZS 750w PSU

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz @ 4.60GHz Sandybridge CPU

Mobo: Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard ** B3 REVISION **

Cooler: OcUK H2 Flo CPU Cooler

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 6GB/s

GFX: OcUK GeForce GTX 580 1536MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Sound: Realtek 7.1 Channel Sound (On-Board)

Optical Drive: LG DVD+/-RW SATA Drive

This will be my Battlefield 3 machine. I plan on shoving my 2tb HDD in, wiped so I can use it for all my gaming and application needs. My old PC RAM will go into my dad's machine when I get a chance, boosting him to 8GB respectively.

There's also the possibility of shoving in another GTX 580 but for now I'll roll with one. I may switch up the RAM later too now that I think about it.

I'm hoping that this machine will last a few years. The case is big enough for me to make changes as this cycle goes on unlike my current stock case from Hewlett Packard.

It should arrive on Monday, so I'll be in a good mood if it does. Can't wait to get back to PC gaming, it's been a while (bar WoW which works on any machine, even overheaters) since I've played any hard-hitting games.

I get the feeling I'll be flying with this machine!

NEW BLOG POST

My PC arrived in all it's bits and bobs. Monday night proved to be the longest night in building a PC ever as I had to battle with the graphics card, a hard drive that wouldn't register in the bios and deal with the shock that the motherboard didn't carry the basic keyboard / mouse ports. Had to trace all over Edinburgh for a keyboard at 8:30pm.

Good news is it's all up and working as of this morning after much stress testing to make sure the CPU's overclock was stable. The CPU runs at a nifty 4.60ghz with the CPU 40 degrees when idle. On a heavy load, it doesn't break 60 degrees which is excellent.

The graphics card's sitting at a cool 35 degrees when idle and around 55-60 degrees on a heavy load (tested using games such as Batman:Arkham Asylum and Dead Island). Unfortunately, I'm having to use my TV as the monitor for now because my currert monitor isn't compatible with the system.

Using the TV as a monitor is bloody horrible though. The picture's fuzzy and I'm just plain sick of seeing it on the TV now. I'll be grabbing up a new monitor as soon as possible, that's for sure. I've tried everything to make it look half-way decent but it's not working out at all.

Installing my pre-existing copy of Windows 7 was a simple task, updating the darned system through Windows Updates however has been a complete joke and I had to resort to doing one update at a time. There were 382 updates overall so tracing through them to find the one's I needed was the worst experience I've ever had with Windows.

Oh well, at least it's done. My plan of using this as my Battlefield 3 machine fell through when I picked it up for XBOX 360 so I had something to do while Windows was being a git. Other than that, now loving the machine to bits. Was well worth the hassle!

wow, what an adventure!

well good to see you have it up and running.

setting it up with a tv can indeed be a pain.

i get all sorts of problems with stupid games that aren't coded properly to use a HDTV, messing about to take it into windowed mode and then finding out it doesn't have any vertical resolution less than 768....

you'd think they would figure out that a large number of people using a 16:9 monitor or a netbook and need a vertical screen of 620.

wow, what an adventure! well good to see you have it up and running. setting it up with a tv can indeed be a pain. i get all sorts of problems with stupid games that aren't coded properly to use a HDTV, messing about to take it into windowed mode and then finding out it doesn't have any vertical resolution less than 768.... you'd think they would figure out that a large number of people using a 16:9 monitor or a netbook and need a vertical screen of 620.

It's been one hell of a week, I'll say that much. Picked up Sonic Generations and that runs like a dream on the machine. Did some Fraps'ing to stress-test real-time recording and it was a clear 60fps in-game and recorded at 30fps. Hoping to do some video reviews eventually.

Still using the TV as the monitor which makes it impossible to do any proper coding. Can't even make or edit images with any precision which is annoying. My website hasn't been updated for a week now and my laptop's not powerful enough to handle the work-load needed to get the job done.

I ordered a converter so that my old monitor will work with the system, it hasn't arrived yet but I'm hoping it will be here for Monday. Once I get back to some form of normality, I'll be a lot happier. I will say one thing though, gaming on a HDTV with a PC is freaking sweet. I will be snapping up a good HD Monitor near the end of the month cause I can't go back to a lower standard.

heh heh, yeah it is pretty nice, my old tv used to be totally awesome at that kind of thing. it's a shame it broke and i had to downgrade to this 19 inch screen. it's still nice though. the resolution is at the level of a laptop but the aspect is good and so is the clarity.

so you'll do some video reviews?

that will be most interesting.

I've been looking for something similar to MMOhut, without the MMO. I have found that all these MMO's that are flooding the market are just so low in quality, their priority is to be an MMO and thus the game itself suffers. if you do something like MMOhut but with other games, like indie games, cheap games etc, then that would be very cool.

I've been playing un-epic and find it to be great quality. but i would not have found out about it had i not gone hunting for indie games specifically.

this type of very cheap, or free indie game is exactly what I relish these days.

NEW BLOG POST

I've not been around here for a while so once again it's nice to make a return. It's always nice to catch up with many of you!

For those out of the loop in my goings-on, I closed my gaming journalism site after I was asked to stop posting opinion pieces that were seen to be outside of the journalist licensors rights. Either way, it was a silencing and I've taken the hint and have given up on the whole idea.

That doesn't mean I'm giving up on being in the gaming industry. For a few months now I've been building a 2D platformer engine for use on PC and XBOX 360. I'm using my coding background heavily in this endeavor and am aiming to pull a few people together to make an indie platform maybe next year.

At this point, I may end up dropping the XBOX 360 due to the new console being announced shortly. I'm going to wait and see what Microsoft do before making any big decisions on this front.

On top of that, I've finally returned to the Guyver scene. I've not spoken about or done anything in terms of the Guyver since the closure of the GuyverBoard. I have a few ideas but I'm not ready to divulge any at this point as what I have planned may not happen. I guess the good news is I'm catching up on the manga and I've re-watched all of the animations.

As far as websites go right now, I've been planning an anime and manga review site. It's a work in progress but so far I'm happy with what I've accomplished. I may end up reaching out to this community for avid anime / manga lovers shortly and see if they would like to contribute to the site.

I'll leave it at that for now but stay tuned to this channel!

p.s. I've added my Skype name to the site just in case anyone needs to contact me. I do disappear from sites but I'm normally always on there.

aww, I'm a bit sad you never kept me up to speed on that :(

I'm currently sort of learning java in order to develop games.

I recall we were talking about working together on something game related in the past.

keep me in the loop bro and we might be able to work together on some project in the future.

oh btw, I have a good personal friend who moved to Edinburgh. I can't recall where you said you lived but there's a chance you might cross paths some day.

If you ever meet a Polish guy called Adam, drop my name in. Also, he bugs me to visit Edinburgh so one day I might be in the area.

sorry to hear about your gaming sites. it's a little sad that you couldn't speak your mind about various issues.

aww, I'm a bit sad you never kept me up to speed on that :(

I'm currently sort of learning java in order to develop games.

It's all very "prototype" at the moment so not really told anyone about it. If and when I get the systems and stuff done I'll definitely give you a shout :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, we were looking into the chat system for gamers that would exist on-top of Direct X. Never did find an answer to that conundrum! Yeah, if you ever find yourself in Edinburgh, give me a poke. I'm sure we'll get on like a house on fire.

I've put all of the game site stuff behind me for now. Will probably give it another go (without the journalist rules) in the near future. I can't help but write about and play games, it's an addiction I swear. I've been uploading various web design screenshots I've done over the last few years to Facebook.

• Like 1

NEW BLOG POSTI

may not be a gaming press guy at the moment but that doesn't mean I still don't talk to the people in the industry and as of this week and I'm actually laughing my ass off... especially when I know that every single one of them that have given me their opinions hate the next gen piece of garbage known as the XBOX ONE.

I don't know what Microsoft were thinking but all I know is the word 'generic' must come into play. They're aim is to make an all-in-one machine that lets you plug in your digital TV receiver and use the console as a talk-to remote control that has access to stupid services and has little to do with the games or what the community wanted from Microsoft for the next generation.In fact, since the conference there has been a 385% hike in Wii U sales in the UK alone.

Nintendo are posting amazing profits right now and that's because they're promising games. The Wii U may not be as strong as the XBOX ONE or PS4 but at least it's still at the core of the experience and I now see it doing relatively well.

There's a bit of an unwritten industry moniker that gamers choose one next-gen console and the Nintendo console. It looking more than likely that people will opt for this again but I guarantee the next gen console chosen is the Playstation 4.

Right, since I'm actually getting worked up writing this, here are the reasons I foresee the end of the XBOX ONE come launch:-

• Needs to connect at least once every 24 hours to the internet to validate game ownerships, account status and if the console needs updates.
  • Not backwards compatible even though they promised with the XBOX 360 that from then on all content would follow to next generations via their XBOX Live Architecture.
  • The 500gb HDD can't be replaced and all games must be installed on the machine. The games will ship on (rumoured 100gb) blu-ray discs and could take up all that space as discs are not needed to play after installation.
  • You cannot lend games to your friends or they get asked to pay a 'pre-owned' fee upon putting the game in their disc drive. Will kill off the 'meeting friends' ethos they had a few years ago.
  • The console will not function without the Kinect and if you don't have it in a position where it can see your room, well it won't let you do anything until you move it and it's watching your every move.
  • The console does not go off. It goes into sleep mode and the kinect camera / console is always powered and ready to take commands. Kinect camera will forever be watching (anyone for Big Brother style rules?)
  • The XBOX ONE will speak to you via Siri style software. That'll be bloody creepy.
  • The consoel will take advantage of the cloud for post-processing. A good thing for those with a good net connection, a bad thing for those with dodgy connections as those features won't be on-disc.
  • The console won't support component connections. This is bad for those who are like me and are fresh out of HDMI ports on their TV's.

It's not all bad though, there are two thing's that sound good when it comes to the console:-

• Save anywhere, anytime. It's technically not a save though... it's more like a save state feature so if you need to go out you can tell the console to remember the data for that play-session and when you get home you can tell it to reload that state.
  • XBOX Live should be really powerful. I'm thinking just about as powerful as OnLive and Sony's Gaikai. Should be interesting to see. They're claiming that all multiplayer computation will be off-loaded so thousands could potentially play against each other in the same match online.

So, yeah that conference left me both drained, angry and wishing it was all a dream. I don't know who's in-charge at XBOX right now but if I was old Bill I'd be throwing the guy a fired slip.It's even worse to think that the reveal of the console caused GameStop's stock to plummet. If that's not shareholder worry I don't know what is.

As for where I stand personally, I hate the XBOX ONE for everything it's trying to be. I wanted a console, not some intrusive piece of garbage that will do the same job as most of the technology I already own (Smart TV, Digital TV box, etc). I already own the Wii U and I love that little console, my next console will be the Playstation 4 for the JRPG's cause Sony's the home of them.

Guess with console I'm not buying. It starts with an X and end with an E.

Thankfully I'm not really a loyalist gamer... I've almost all the systems over my lifetime. I go where there is games I want.

I always tend to wait for the games. If there are games that are exclusive to the console that I have to have, I'll consider buying it. Heck, with the PS3 I didn't even buy one until the new model came out... ( and I think that was more for a Blu-Ray player) And even then I play it with a 360 shaped controller ( though technically it is from Batman Arkham City).

I am not sure I like the changes to the XBox controller though. Looks like they went for trigger buttons closer to what is on the PS3 controller... Which are horrible. And rumble buttons? Meh.

Even if the Halo TV series is available Day 1, it won't be a deal breaker for me, as everyone who has ever talked about it so far has mentioned, it'll no doubt be ripped and available via torrents moments after it airs. And the fact most of the "launch" titles we've already heard of, will probably be cross released on the 360 anyway. A trend that will probably stick around for most "AAA" titles for probably 6 months to a year. 

I guess the upcoming E3 might show us a few exclusives, but I doubt there will be any truly great ones.

Like most I am not happy with a lot of the choices, nor will I end up using a good portion of them. But if the games are there... I will buy em. That goes for both the XBO and the PS4.

And since I didn't note it before, since I am so freakin lazy, welcome back my friend!

I'm no loyalist either, but I would say I am certainly swayed by company tactics. when xbox 360 started putting ads on their dashboard, I lost the desire to switch it on and in subsequent months, I sold it and now I have a ps3.

for me, Games are surely what it's about, but if a system is set up in a way that offends me, I can't relax to play the game.

I want to play tales of vesperia but I don't want to buy a 360 to play it.

Thanks Matt, always a pleasure seeing you around :)

I agree with the both of you really, the games are the most important aspect to the machines. Recently though I've seen the industry shifting around and doing things I don't really agree too so I'm now being a lot more... conservative and biding my time before truly wanting for example XBOX ONE.

I'm not really a loyalist either, I like to consider myself somewhere in the middle on all platforms available but I'm sure that in the end I'll have my favourites. The issue now is that I'm just not happy with the way the XBOX ONE is going and I feel I'll be leaving it behind for other platforms. I'll probably end up with one but it won't be a launch choice for me.

I guess I'll see what happens with the rest come E3 and of course console release.