Sign in to follow this  
river_chaos

Riv's random self

Sully    295
On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 3:00 AM, river_chaos said:

You know what sucks about this day and age? Every company wants 3+ years of experience from college grads.  Guess who doesn't have that: me.  I've been looking for jobs since graduation, and I've been rejected ever single time.  HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO GET EXPERIENCE WHEN NO ONE WILL GIVE ME A CHANCE?!!  Effing corporate butt monkeys!  Even internships want some experience in a resume.  I'm to the point of starting my own graphic design business online and do free-lance projects while also building up my YouTube channel. 

*sigh*....Well, at least my playlist for Breath of the Wild is complete until I get around to the DLC, and I'm picking up Animal Parade again until I find another game to do a "let's play" video of. 

Like some of the members have said here, never work for free. In my experience It devalues you as you'll be seen to "work for anything". When you do chose a career it's very hard to get that first job but eventually you will. You're going down the right path by if you can't work for someone do work yourself and show off what you can do. I was an avid follower of what Blizzard have done for years, and a number of people who work for them did so by doing things like their own videos etc and effectively wowing the developers there to get work.

I know from experience that interviews are like a odd game where you need to be positive about everything. Even if you hated your last job, don't ever admit it and find whatever you can to shine a positive light on it. e.g. worked in a coffee shop try and convince the owner to show off some of your art and develop there webpage. 

Hell for me, I'd a degree in IT Management and was living in England, the first job I got there was working in the local jobcentre (the place were you go when looking for work and to sign on for unemployment). They were more interested in my work experience in working in a Kebab House in Wales than my degree because I knew how to deal with drunks..... Next thing I knew it kicked off a sequence of jobs that ultimately led me back into IT Support work. Life is weird like that, but keep positive and you'll get here. 

river_chaos    109

Thanks, guys!  (And the word is freelance like a freelance journalist.)

I recently moved in with my boyfriend since I've started working on his shift, so I haven't been able to do much aside work my butt off.  Night shift is not agreeing with me; can't do much during the night.  This job feels draining at this point, but I do need the cash to survive.  Hopefully something better will turn up or I can get enough space made to set up my digital design equipment to get the ball rolling. 

river_chaos    109

Lately I've been trying to get on full time at the company I'm currently working at....for the past three months......and they keep giving bull**** excuses to not hire me.  "Oh we'll consider you later for something you are qualified for..." they say while hiring an imbecile off the streets that doesn't know what the hell they're doing!  I know my dad wants me to get on there, but this is getting ridiculous to where I might need to send an email to the CEO about this crap as the managers are breaking corporate policy by not hiring a temp that has been working for them for over 5 years!  It doesn't help that Dad thinks I'm not trying enough to get noticed even when it's blatantly in his face that management doesn't want me as a full time employee.  I'm just done with this!  I'd rather follow my boyfriend back to our hometown and find work there over staying up here and never get taken seriously as a potential full timer. 

On the flip side, I'm taking up an old hobby to help relieve stress and get out of the apartment for a bit: roller skating.  I use to skate around the kitchen as a little kid before I outgrew my skates and Dad married she-who-shall-not-be-named (biggest mistake in his life) who tried to get me into 'girly' things and 'outgrow' comic books.  Everyone here knows neither of those things she tried to make me do happened, and I'm a happy otaku with an amazing boyfriend that loves me for being me.