Sign in to follow this  
BananaKing

Please Help Me

good work dude, it's looking really nice. but please don't post it that size, hardly anyone has a monitor that big ad i had to save it to my desktop to view it.

the shading is really bringing it to life and is nice and consistent.

the thing about guyver 3, is you have shaded him as a clay texture rather than a leathery texture. give it some gloss by increasing the lightness of his highlight. that should help with the issue you're having.

i like the latest version... great job u did there BK.. would like to see more colouring from you... :biggrin:

give it some gloss by increasing the lightness of his highlight. that should help with the issue you're having.

So what, fix it in the colors palate, blending layer, adjustment layer? Can I sound anymore like a noob at this? :lol:

But thanks guys, this was fun to make and hopefully I'll be able to do more because lord knows I need to build up some sort of digital portfolio. :mrgreen:

So what, fix it in the colors palate, blending layer, adjustment layer? Can I sound anymore like a noob at this? :lol:

:shock: what?

ha ha, to be honest dude, i think you're over complicating it with that. ;)

just do what works.

I don't even know what exact technique you used to do this work you see.

when i was playing with it, I actually just used a colour replace.

but you can do anything.

if you've used solid colour layers with a mask, then all you really need to do is select the layer with guyver 3's highlight and double click the colour and change that colour until it looks right.

edit:

I made 2 image screenshots just to show you what i mean.

post-1-1286729632_thumb.jpg post-1-128672962802_thumb.jpg

Okay I used custom shapes defined by a path to make these jagged edged shades, if that helps you out. I did not use a mask at all on anything here so yeah that may be weird...I know a lot of photoshop savvy people use masks, but I still haven't gotten the hang of using them. I only used them once like 2yrs ago. :redface:

Anyway gonna play around with it some more before I got to turn it in tomorrow

ah ok, well i'm still not sure exactly how you've done it but good luck with it anyway :)

p.s. technically, using a path for defining an outline or a selection is using a mask.

that's what masking is. protecting a specific area so that you don't paint over it.

uhm, they're not mutually exclusive.

let's see if i can figure this out.

i think maybe you mean path based mask as opposed to pixel based?

well a path is a vector controlled boundary. it uses maths to create a perfect curve or corner.

no matter how big or small you go, the path itself will be perfectly smooth. but the disadvantage is that it is a definite boundary. it has no width so you can't produce a soft edge. well not automatically, you would have to render it out in pixels. also, paths are a bit more fiddly. with pixels, you can just paint with a brush. with a path you have to precisely lay it down.

the example image above is painted with a brush except for the actual circle itself.

you can see transparency and soft edges on it. that would be rather laborious to get the same effect with paths.

Thank you.

BananaKing, I think the image needs to be smaller in full display too.

As for color change, I tend to go to brightness/contrast and hue change.

Well I played around with the color a bit and darkened the highlight color to more correctly match guyver 3's basic armor tone. This way the highlights don't stick out as brightly as they did before. Even with highlights, guyver 3's armor is still a very dark purple so color based highlights shouldn't be as brightly blue as I had them.

I swear this time this one is smaller :mrgreen:

post-71-12867496721_thumb.jpg

I think I may know how to combine what you just did with a brighter hilight. Try adding small patches of hilights around his armor. Not intensely bright, just lighter.

Edited by Johnleprekan

So everybody interested I'm working on a new line art as we speak. I'm doing this for my brother since this was one of his favorite video game characters growing up. I haven't gotten to shades yet, but I want to try Ryuki's shade techniques on this piece. I'll post WIP pics along with starting a new thread. I like this lineart coloring so I want to try and make more often. :mrgreen:

post-71-12868474127_thumb.jpg

So those not in the know, this is Blues or Protoman as he's know around the world. He's brother to Megaman and the super cool "loner" style character in the megaman franchise.

For those of you wanting to stretch your atristic ego, I'm currently working on coloring this FMA line art. However I have several parts of the shading that I'm feeling iffy about. I've made sure to circle them as well as place the circles on a separate layer for your convenience. Any and all help on what to do with these areas would be greatly appreciated. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Me the idiot completely forgot to attach the file for you guys go ahead and laugh

FMA_Querry.psd.zip