Sign in to follow this  
BananaKing

Please Help Me

So I have to color a line art drawing for my compositing class and I want to do one with the guyver in it. Problem is I can't find really an good line art featuring the guyver. If any of you guys has knows where I can find some or perhaps have a lineart drawing featuring the guyver that you'd be willing to let me use, then I'd greatly appreciate it.

So far the best one I've found it this one: (The picture is rather big)

post-71-128578108011_thumb.jpg

I can make you a guyver drawing if you want, since you only need the line art it wont take long, let me know if you agree and i will get right on it, just tell me what size do you want it and what do you want in it.

Oh man, that's gonna be killer. Can't wait to see the end result BK.

P.S.: No joke about that image, it's huge. I had to scroll & search to find the X button :razz:

do you use photoshop or another program?

if your cool with it, i wanna try to color that pic you have posted. it intrigues me.

I have Phototshop CS4 atm, but my school offers the CS5 upgrade for $25 so I may invest in that.

Odin you can make a lineart drawing if you still want to, but I went and got a different image for the assignment. I'd still love to do both the image I have posted and whatever picture you make. If you could do something featuring both guyver 1 and 2 that would be great. Guyver 1 was always my favorite guyver but I instantly fell in love with guyver 2's face. Call me weird but that asymmetrical vocal orb and respirator design is just awesome.

-OR-

Something with the guyver gigantic. Normal or Exceed, neither matters, just if you're going to toss in a bg, if you could make it simple that would be great. I'm more of a character artist at heart, and bg's have never been a strong suit for me I'm afraid [emote=onion]gone[/emote]

And of course you can use whatever pics you want larz! :mrgreen: With that said, no you can't use these pics larz! :razz: By order of royal BananaFlavored decree I forbid it. How do you like that :lol:

For those wondering, I went with this for my project: post-71-128621569249_thumb.jpg

For those not familiar with it, this is an Eldar Guardian from the Warhammer 40k tabletop game. Its basically the normal foot soldier for "Space Elves". I always liked their armor design. Its still not finished yet, I need to add in shadows and highlights

wow BK, can i just ask where you found that lineart in the first post? it's really neat

also neat job on the eldar guardian, but perhaps you should shade it so that it doesn't stand out so much compared to the background. because you've used flat colours for the character and a photo for the background it doesn't look like he's standing on anything either, just placed in the center of a photo

the lineart from the 1st post were taken from one deviantart account.. i went there before, and got the colour page of that same lineart...

going to attach the coloured version here... the same as the lineart.. it's huge... :lol:

post-1063-1286278257_thumb.jpg

Yeah I have to still shade and highlight it. The Background is not important to the pic at all, but I wanted to give it some atmosphere and thought that desolate rocky ridge would fit nicely. The workload is building up atm, so I won't be getting to the guyver lineart this week, but hopefully soon. I have one of Caerleon that I photoshopped off the datafile that I want to work on as well. Its a static pose but I like his design so much and give it a try.

post-71-1286284590_thumb.jpg

aww.... bk you ruin all my fun... stupid fruit tyrant...

dude, i didn know you were into 40k.

i like the eldar with the wings. its been forever ago but i use to have only 6 of those figures. and a eldar titan thingy. i dont know its name. im not that big into 40k myself.

have you tried to resize the deviant pic to the size you want it? im not sure how distorted that'll make it tho.

Yeah I'm a Tyranid player (you know those things Blizzard ripped off to make the entire Zerg race) Been playing 40k for almost 10yrs now :redface:

Well, I don't mind the size while I'm coloring it, but when I hand it in, I'll resize it of course. I think if you resize just the lineart without color then the image won't be distorted too much. At least the distortion should be negligible.

if i ever do have to resize a project, i always do the line art. then i can just retrace it to make the lines bold and solid. im a slow learner so it took me a while to figure that little trick out.

now that i think about it, i do remember you sayin something about you playin 40k now. whoops. my bad.

are the tyranids the same thing as a genestealer? cause i really hate those. and the screamers... i see one of those i pop a vortex grenade and i high tail it quick like.

Genstealers are the tyranid's strong shock troops that in-game are very deadly in close combat. (Both high WS and Init values along with 3 attacks per charge and rending :redface: ) I'm not sure what you're thinking the screamers are (cause there is a unit called screamers) but there's nothing called screamers in my army :mrgreen:

So anyway, I have to complete this project by monday. And in the spirit of things, I changed my idea; so this is what I've got so far (I cut the size in half for you guys):

post-71-12863392875_thumb.jpg

nice colour balance dude. so many times, i see people use bright strong colours.

you kept it to a nice balance and still kept it bold.

what is your brief?

My brief? Umm not sure what you're asking dude :lol:

Well I take my color's straight from the 2005 anime. I have screenshots and stuff of all three guyvers so I get my base colors, shadows, and highlights all from certain scenes. If that's what you're asking

Its a project for class dude.

We take a lineart from someone online or draw one yourself and color it in. I found this trio of guyvers that was awesome and I used the colors from the guyver 2005 anime as a base. Some of the anime's colors were a little weird so I tweaked them slightly. Mostly guyver 3's colors were too black so I lightened him up to make a blue violet. The shadow and highlight colors were manipulated from the base colors rather than just using Dodge and Burn. I liked the 2005 anime's colors because they had a darker tone to them. Namely guyver's 2 and 3 were darker.

I mean its not like I'm making this for a client or anything so I don't really have a design brief.

woah, why so aggressive?

i only want to know what your brief is.

you can't do a piece of work if your tutor hasn't given you a brief. otherwise, how are you supposed to fulfil the parameters?

forget i asked. :confused:

Sorry dude, I wasn't trying to be aggressive or anything. That's the problem with text on the web I guess :redface:

As far as parameters goes: Any size, any subject matter, just color the image with full tonal detail. Really its just a basic exercise on layering, brushes, and tones in photoshop.

ah ok,

no biggie then :redface:

full tonal detail... not sure what that means...

but anyway this is cool.

if the whole point of the brief is to simply get used to using the different features of photoshop then you're doing stellar.

perhaps i could challenge you a bit.

make the image look like they are in a room with a red light. :Runnykine:

Oh god red light, maybe I'll do that on my next lineart. This project has been a lot of fun so far and in less than 3 days using the tablet I'm so much better. So much better at using I mean :mrgreen:

Tonal detail is a term I kind of make up to explain using shades to show depth and add more degrees of realism. You know, shadows and highlights on the face to show 3D on the figure and whatnot :lol:

Oh yeah, and let me all know what you guys think of my shade-work on guyver 1 so far:

post-71-128642484894_thumb.jpg

it's got a good general feel, but i have to say is inconsistent.

think about what you learned when doing your CGI and apply the lighting you learned to what you see in this image.

something i do sometimes, I give you as a tip, i work at different 'levels'. i have a big general shade. large areas of light and shadow. no detail, just a big 'fuzzy' shadow to give the figure it's 'presence'.

then i give a medium shade, to differentiate the different parts of the figure and to flesh it out. then i do a surface detail shade to give it that sharpness and detail.

I was thinking about colouring an image from chapter 177, if you'd like i can make a thread and show work in progress for it. that is if i go through with it.

Well sure, if you would like to. I always learn better with a visual representation rather than just text you know.

I can kind of see what you're saying with the inconsistency. Are you refering to stuff like the highlights on the guyver metal not being in the same area? I don't have the most steady hand sometimes :lol: A friend of mine told me to make the shades on the armor itself to be jagged and hard-brushed to create some contrast and break up the picture. Any thoughts?

using a tablet, i wouldn't advise it.

the edges will be pretty wobbly unless you have a really steady hand.

either that, or start working with the path tools.

the inconsistency i mentioned. well looking at the purple area, the light appears to come from the upper left, on the shiny orbs and the eyes, the light appears to come from the upper right.

Yeah I see what you're talking about. I did the bio-boost sections before I did the guyver's head.

I'll have to experiment with the path tools later today

Okay guys, this is what I've got so far. Now I used the path tool for the jagged shadows on the guyver like Ryuki said I like the effect/contrast they're giving the piece however I'm not sure I like it for Guyver 3.

It may be where I placed the shadows and perhaps also the colors of the shadows and highlights but Guyver 3 doesn't look nearly as real as the other guyvers. I'm talking strictly about the shades on his armor not the bioboost creature, metal orbs, or eyes; all of those came out good IMO. I'm worried strictly about the armor shades. I've got another day to work on this before its due and any input would be greatly appreciated guys.

I'm going to use the image's original size so you guys can see in full detail ;) I know its huge so sorry in advance

post-71-128665071192_thumb.jpg