Sign in to follow this  
BananaKing

The King's Gallery

So everybody, I've decided to have my own little gallery here on JL. I figure I need to get my art out there somehow and every little bit helps.

So, I'll be updating periodically, you know when I can and feel up to it. By all means feel free to critique my work and if you have a negative comment or two, I'd love to hear it. Be as mean or nice as you like, any and all critiques and comments are well appreciated. I will provide small summaries to help everyone understand what the assignment was or what I was going for.

Without further adieu, lets begin!

post-71-128129597606_thumb.jpg

"And Omen of Our Future"

Acrylic Paint, Spray Paint, and Charcoal

Made in Expressive Drawing 2009

1st we have one of my favorites, this was a personal graffiti where I was told to express my emotions and what I like to see in art in a graffiti style. Out of the 12 people that showed off their personal graffitis, mine was the only one that looked like graffiti. I love how the red eyes are a focal point and draw the eyes to the white writing behind it.

post-71-128129622196_thumb.jpg

"The Corrdior"

Colored Pen and Ink

Al Held is an artist that made a career out of taking thick black ink lines and creating abstract compositions with them. He accented these lines with small applications of flat opaque color. Our assignment was to take the interior of a building and create an interesting composition with the Al Held style line. I like this piece because of the "endless void" feeling it gives off. When you look down the corridor to the blue window, you get a feeling of endless space, like the door is unreachable, yet its right there. Plus the walls create an excellent foreground establishing a sense of 3-D.

post-71-128129645267_thumb.jpg

"20 Faces of a Enigmatic Mind"

Colored Pen and Ink

Now we have my family's favorite. This is an expressive self portrait where we had to make our own expression of ourselves through 20 different self portrait compositions. Really this is where we are allowed to show all our creativity and have fun. My personal favorite portrait is 3rd from the left, top row. I like how even though the white has no color or ink, it is still more interesting than the blue and red since its such a contrast.

post-71-128129676161_thumb.jpg

"Early Morning"

Maya 2011- Only Polygons

Made in Shading and Lighting

This was 1 of 4 different compositions where we had to take the interior of a house, light a composition, and finally use 1 of 4 different camera types. This is a fisheye lens and I like how the light hits the lamp to the far left. It really makes it pop out. I also like the rim light on the curtains, it gives the piece a feeling like the sun is still rising while also establishing a sense of early morning.

So I hope you all like what you're seeing, I will try and update this thread often and hopefully I can provide you guys with some cool and interesting art. :mrgreen:

the lamp in that last piece really dominates the left side of the work, and works at balancing out the whole image.

at first i felt the domination of this piece of furniture was perhaps a mistake but then when looking at it overall, the balance of the whole image is very pleasant.

that lamp is interesting. reminds me of a triffid.

So here's a few more things for you guys

post-71-128139620251_thumb.jpg

"Summer Refreshment"

Maya 2011 Mental Ray

So this was an experiment with the various maya based materials. For those who don't already know, when making anything in Maya, one must later texture the 3-D objects. This is done by manipulating then applying various types of textures already inputted into the program. The basic idea was to make the watermelon interior look glossy like it had water in it, which I think I succeeded. However the exterior is a bit too reflective :lol:

post-71-128139637894_thumb.jpg

"Into the Darkness"

Maya 2011 Mental Ray

This piece I took a plain interior of a house and tried to make a unique atmosphere. While I've never watched any myself, I do like the lighting style of the old 1930's and 40's Film Noir detective movies. I just like the great contrast the intense and hard shadows create on the white lights, so I went for that. I sort of left main idea of the piece up to the viewer. On the one hand, someone could have just come home to an empty house, on the other...the mysterious light could be hiding a murder victim...you decide!

post-71-128139659474_thumb.jpg

"Quite a Catch!"

Maya 2011 Mental Ray

This was an experiment in both photo-manipulated textures and the motion blur feature in Maya. This was also my first time doing any form of compositing. Yeah that picture in the background actually attached to maya geometry. So basically to do something like this I had to make a small animation of the weird pudgy guy pulling a fish out of the water. I wanted to give the piece a comical approach so I made it look like he was struggling with the small fish. All of the textures on everything were pictures from CG Textures that I played around with in photoshop. Not a single texture there looked like when I took it from the internet I can tell you that.

post-71-12813968284_thumb.jpg

"Perfume Triad"

Maya 2011 Mental Ray

Finally for today we have an experiment in both a product style camera shot and the Mental Ray materials. Mental Ray is just some weird rendering program maya can use and from what I've been told its a lot better than the default rendering software. Whatever...anyway, the Mental Ray Mia material X is a new material that is now used to make glass and metal textures; so you can guess what material I used. The tricky part is getting the hang of how many reflections and refractions occur in when glass is behind or on top of each other and light passes through them. If not done right, you get what we call "Black Abnormalities" which is bizarre black areas of nothingness when you render...weird. The lighting was far trickier than the material, I actually looked up types of lighting used in real product shots. I picked "3 Point-Lighting" which may not sound difficult, but getting those lights to hit the right spot is a lot harder than you'd expect.

So that's it for today, my character design class might keep me busy for a little while longer so I may not make another installment too quickly. Rest assured though, I have plenty of artwork I'd love to show off. Its just...some of it is rather big so I may have to resort to small pictures from my laptop. Sometimes I wish I had a camera of my own..but alas money is always an issue.

Oh well, enjoy! :mrgreen:

Your skills are coming along quite nicely BK. Very versatile works. Good job on getting the Triad figured out.

Oh, and hey! I'd have to pick #4 from the top left of the Enigmatic Mind. Looks like a real hand!

i love the corridor image.

i absolutely love that style, simple lines, flat colours.. it's really well done!

i'll also be checking out Al Held for more interesting works similar to it :)

good job on this stuff dude!

Again thank you for the wonderful compliments guys. I will post more art soon, within the next week give or take a few days. I'm just finishing a project as we speak and when I get it done, the gallery will receive an update.

So here's the promised update. I went and took some pictures of a few of my other Al Held style drawings for you BBD, since I know you're interested in them. I'll point out which one is more closely to his style for you. So a bit of a disclaimer here, unfortunately I don't have a digital camera of my own; so I'm forced to take whatever pictures I can't scan with my small scanner using my laptop's camera and the quality on some of these pictures kind of sucks. I do apologize and hope you can still apprceate the art. Without further adieu, lets continue the show! :mrgreen:

post-71-128262286554_thumb.jpg

Repeated Simplicty

Pen & Colored Ink

Made in Expressive Drawing

First up we have what my professor called the "Repeated Unit" project. We basically had to take either a single object like a plant, telephone, etc or a small composition of man-made objects and repeat a contour drawing of them at least 16 times. What we did from there was our call. I was fiddling with some of the prinicpals of design at that point in school, and anyone who isn't familiar with the POD; they're basically what you can achieve using the elements of art. The EoA are simple things like contrast, shape, texture, etc. So I decided by changing the color of the line in a pattern I'd increase the composition by creating unity and variety and both a pattern. I like the look of 3D so I chose both red and blue. The black line is there to draw more attention to the red and blue.

post-71-128262288096_thumb.jpg

Clutter

Pen & Colored Ink

Made in Principals of 2D Design

So we have another Al Held drawing but this one has both organic and mechanical lines. I took a whole bunch of random objects in the art building and bunched them together. I do like the contrast of shape created by having all of the poles in front of the tire. It isn't one of my favorites, but the art department at my last school wanted to keep if for their gallery, but I knew that if they liked it, that it would best to keep in my portfolio.

post-71-128262291285_thumb.jpg

Unseen Maze

Pen & Colored Ink

Made in Expressive Drawing

So as promised BBD this is the Al Held style piece closer to the true artist's style. He liked more abstract compositions so when we were first introduced to his style, we too had to create our own abstract piece. Now the quality of the picture may not make it visible, but there are smaller mechanical lines creating contrast of line thickness. Now my professor loved to hammer an aspect of art that doesn't really have an official name: "Wholesale, Retail, and No-sale". Basically, a Wholesale is something all across the art piece, a retail is something spread not as heavily as a wholesale but is very prominent in the piece. Finally the No-sale is something special that is "not for sale" and is unique. My professor "Doc" pushed us to make no-sales in our art and in this piece the no-sale is the small spots of orange. Since they're aren't very prominent in the piece, they stick out far more than anything else and create their own focal point.

post-71-128262293343_thumb.jpg

Volcanic Eruption

Intaglio Print

Made in Printmaking 1

So an intaglio print is basically a print made from etching a composition into a copper or zinc plate (since zinc was cheaper we used zinc), then printed on printmaking paper. So in order for you to get that irregular border you'd have to etch and file those edges like CRAZY, unless you have access to special acid that eats through non-chemically protected metal. As you've guessed, I placed special chemicals on the body of the volcano and let the acid eat the rest of the plate for about 18hrs. I wanted to make the plate feel like it was being caught in the eruption of the volcano and being melted by the magma. It created this awesome look and complimentary feeling.

post-71-128262510059_thumb.jpg

The Human Poison

Mental Ray Maya 2011

Shading and Lighting

So this was my final project for shading and lighting where I had to choose from a couple of separate scene files and create my own mood and feeling. I wanted to go for dank depressing bathroom that looked like something out of a psycho horror movie. We weren't allowed to have any blood or anything hinting towards blood in the piece so already my piece was stifled. The small amount of lights make the piece feel like the lights are either broken or don't work as well as they used to complimenting the already dank textures. Now for those that don't have super vision the mirror reads, "Cast in the name of god, YE GUILTY!" Now those who know their anime know that line come directly from Big-O, and the whole scene is actually an homage to and episode where a killer android murdered people and wrote "Cast in the name of god, YE GUILTY on a nearby mirror in the victim's blood. It made for some really cool scenes in the episode and really built up a very creepy killer. C'mon, a murdering psycho android, what's scarier than that?! Well maybe a 50ft invisible murdering crab monster made of brocoli...no that can't possibly exist...[emote=monkey]think[/emote]

So not much of an update but I do want everyone to see this.

post-71-128312298622_thumb.jpg

Shichiro Zetsumei

Character Design and Creation

Maya 2011

So I've been working this past month on this 3D character which is also a character for a story I'm writing. This was my first time doing any kind of character modeling and clothing modeling. I think his headband came out really good and I love the pose I put him in.

I'd love to know what you all think :mrgreen:

if you want feedback on the character design, you need to provide the original sketches.

if you want feedback on the actual model itself, you need to show a mesh or the spline. well either that or a low poly version.

the model you have shown is too smoothed for me to really be able to comment accurately.

well his 'dyper' looks odd. I think the vertex weighting on your skeleton is probably in need of a lot of work there.

judging from what i can see, he seems pretty standard fare for a generic thug.

this feedback really isn't very fair though. I'd like to see more of teh bare bones of him before i give good critique.

I'll get on it in the next few days, the whole weight system brought too many problems and created some very annoying geometry. The back of the posed figure has his "flat" ass sticking out of his pants. We weren't informed on how to do the weights system, so I was stuck with the bad geo. The posed figure was extra credit anyway.

I can provide both a wireframe mesh and a lose res version in the next few days.

As for character design, my paper design isn't at good quality. I don't feel comfortably posting it since it doesn't reflect my ability the way I wished it would. I put more time on the char model than his design.

well the thing about a concept design is that it shows the concept not art skill.

so I'm really not expecting it to be a presentation piece. :cool:

but it is your choice at the end of the day.

yeah i know all about the woes of vertex weighting.

when i rigged my magpie, it was really tough to isolate his wings from his chest. i didn't manage to isolate them completely in the end but i got a workable result.

Well I just know there's more to the weight system than we were told. I don't like it if someone is asked to produce a certain quality work and they aren't told how to fix complications on a system they've never used before. In my case, I never worked with the weight system and when I asked if there was a way to take away weight from certain joints, I was just told "Nope, you've just got to deal with it"....yeah that's what I want to hear when I pay you and your boss $75grand.

I'm sure its something they'll address further in the later Rigging course.

Why thank you Mr. Chaos! :mrgreen:

As always I appreciate the comments.

Ryuki, I haven't forgotten your requested wireframes, give me another couple of days and you'll see them ;)

Actually, BK, I'm a girl (I don't mean to be rude, so I'm sorry if I sounded rude). And you're very welcome, and I mean it when your work is awesome. I can't wait to see what you'll come up with in the future.

Oh, well thank you Mrs. Chaos! :mrgreen:

As promised Ryuki, here's both the wireframes and low res versions. I took pictures of the model and the clothes separate so their geometry wouldn't interfere with the other. I also took some pictures of the rig, but since its no longer in T-pose like the model is, I'm not sure how much it can help you. I don't know whether you used 3dsMax, Maya, or some other program but if you do have a copy of Maya I can also send you the 2 files for a better look.

Archive.zip- its around 40pics so be prepared :redface:

no, I don't use maya, but they are only tools, the techniques are gonna be the same.

I'll look now.

skeleton looks good and you got IK chains on there so good stuff.

also, I think your chest and shoulders are done well.

my major thoughts is that you're using too much detail for your initial modelling.

I would think that it is going to cause a lot of problems manipulating at this level without first getting your basic shapes down.

I think that the best demonstration of effective modelling techniques is with simple models.

I'll given an example.

post-1-128347932001_thumb.jpg

start basic and then subdivide down.

if you look at the low detail levels on the head, then you'll see i subdivide around the mouth and eyes.

if you practice with your polygons making efficient contours, your modelling will improve greatly.

p.s. if you want to study this model, I can provide it in a maya compatible format.

Its always funny, when you make anything whether it be a drawing or a 3D model, you always love it when you're making it thinking it to be perfect. Then when its done, you see how bad some of your decisions were and how many problems the finished problem has. (This isn't true all the time)

I knew going in the head was going to be the most troubling thing. I'm a big picture kind of guy, I lack both the technical skills and patience to create detail in my drawings and 3D work. I think part of it has to do with a short attention span, but at the same time that is counteracted by my good work ethic. I can get the basic shape down relatively quickly, its always with the detail that my skills lack and they always show for it.

I could go on and blame that "Well I was just following the edge-flow guides we were given" but I'd only be making excuses. Really at this point, you need to take a good look at what you're modeling and decide just how much geo you really need. There's no doubt in my mind that if I had to make another complete character model, I'd know how much geo I'd need to make the model effective. All over the model there's unnecessary edges that give no shape, and looking bad, I know how to get rid the edges and make the model both easier and make the geo work for me.

Btw, how long did it take you to make that rough head; a few hours? Cause that detailed head took me only 2 days, but I prioritize like that.

If you wouldn't mind I would like to keep that model on file so in my next modeling course I can use it to help my modeling process.

to be completely honest, I modelled this head 4 years ago so I cannot remember time scale.

it must have been 2 or 3 days though.. and when i say that, i am unsure how many hours were spent each day, could have bee n2 or 3 hours or i might have become engrossed and spent 5 or 6 hours.

but anyway, a lot of time would have been spent on those specific seams you can see. the seams follow existing seams on the human face, such as edges of fat deposits etc. the bits in between those parts can just be smoothed automatically and it doesn't matter so much.

I added the file to this post in a zip folder.

I noticed I don't have max installed so you got the max file. i am sure maya ought to be able to import it. if not, your tutor may be able to convert it for you. or you might find a converter online.

if you give me some of your models, I might be tempted to install max on my new pc.

so if that happens, I might convert it myself.

headbase.zip

Well I don't have max, I have maya but it may not matter.

Well I have several models, all of them got better with time. When I make my next gallery installment I'll post some of my older models for you ;)