Sign in to follow this  
Jess♥

if you like naruto...

I like naruto, it's great. and i'm not planning on betraying naruto by replacing it or anything, but now it is only 1 episode a week so I'd like to supplement my viewing with something else.

there are a few series that are given similar attention... these are dragonball, bleach, one piece... any more?

well what are your thoughts and recommendations on these?

One Piece. Definitely One Piece. How can you go wrong with Japan's number 1 manga which a single volume selling 2 million copies?

is the anime equal though?

i mean, if I rather watch anime, is this the number 1 choice still?

I've seen the animation of One Piece and fortunately it does not suffer the same drawbacks as the other manga to anime conversions. Storywise, it is definitely faithful. Although I've not seen any of the One Piece fillers, I have heard that they are quite enjoyable.

I have some more other anime recommendations, but I doubt you'll like them since most of them have something to do with giant robots.

Also, are you open to other genre of anime like "Moe" (Mo-eh) or the sorts? It's somewhat hard to confine yourself to the genre that Naruto is in.

i watched the first episode of one piece today.

i think it's a little entertaining but not fully liking it after that first episode.

I'll watch more to give it a chance but i don't see anything gripping so far.

well with naruto, i liked it from before i even watched any. i liked it from the atmosphere of the game demo on my xbox. that's pretty special if you ask me.

so i'm really not sure.

Ah, but the fun part has not yet begun. One Piece is about the crew of the Straw Hats Pirate. What you have seen is just the captain, and not of the entire crew yet. Perhaps you're mind might change once you see Roronoa Zoro the Pirate Hunter that uses 3 swords or Sanji the Cook with a kickass kick. It's the silliness that's quite entertaining and makes it unpredictable. I was also skeptical when I first tried reading One Piece, but as I progressed with the story, I got drawn more and more until I got hooked.

By the way, if you decide to watch One Piece, don't watch the funimation version as they cut out a large chunk of the series, sometimes omitting an entire episode.

i will only watch a fansub anyway.

it's a little tricky to get hold of, especially after episode 274

but i'm sure i'll figure something out.

to be honest, I think i'm grieving for naruto. I want something like naruto but i doubt i will find anything that will fit the bill.

I need to see one piece for it's own strengths and try not to miss some of the beautiful music and scenery i have got used to.

i was also interested in seeing dragonball but i am finding it tough to find info on it since it is overshadowed by dragonball z.

I think i want to watch dragonball before dragonball z. well actually, i won't watch z, i'll watch kai.

I'd recommend Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, and Heroic Age if you haven't watched any of those. All of the Heroic Age episodes are on youtube and I think YYH is also on youtube, not certain about RK though. YYH is pretty face paced and it is sorta like the Dragonball series. For some reason, I really enjoy the music in YYH. Heroic Age is pretty good, the animation is stunning, the plot was pretty good, the fights are epic and I liked the music. It does have mechs in it, which I'm not sure if you'd like or not, but they're not really the main focus of the show. I haven't seen Rurouni Kenshin in a long time, but it's got samurai and ass kicking and that's all you need to know. :mrgreen:

Edited by Purgstall

Rurouni Kenshin would have been great if they followed the manga faithfully. Truthfully speaking, the best arc was the Kyoto Arc, after that, the Amakusa arc left me wondering what happened to RK, then later arcs are completely redundant. I only later realized that the Kyoto Arc was the last final cannon story in the Rurouni Kenshin anime. Even if they released the OVA to cover the rest of the manga, it was a disappointment as it didn't feature the most awesome scene involving Aoshi and Saitoh working together, as well as the clash between Kenshin's side and Enishi's henchies. Not to mention the manga also features Yahiko's development into becoming part of Kenshin's regular battle group.

As for Yuyu Hakusho, it was completely faithful to the manga. But the story still centers around Yusuke, and only in the later arcs that the past of the other 2 (Hiei and Kurama) are explored. Although the story were unique at the time, Yuyu Hakusho has become the template for other stereotypical anime.

I really can't comment of Heroic Age as I have never seen it.

There is one anime that I remember loving. Fushigi Yuugi, or Mysterious Play as they translated it. Story is something like an Neverending Story where the Heroine got sucked into a book while her friend reads her adventures. For the later parts, it has many tear jerker moments, and is only one of the few anime that actually made me cry. Don't get the wrong impression as it is not a drama anime, but more of a comedy with some action mixed in. But the drama surfaced later as the story reached it climax.

And yeah, Classic Dragonball was awesome. It's refreshing to see little Son Goku gets his ass kicked and actually use tactics during fights instead of the usual pissing contest. Don't get me started with Dragonball Z.

By the way, might I add Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood? Don't watch the first Full Metal Alchemist anime as it skewed somewhere along the middle and turned into something of a fiasco. The new series, FMA Brotherhood is completely faithful to the manga.

Speaking of FMA, you might also want to check out Full Metal Panic. Even though it involves giant robots, it's main focus is on the character Sagara Sousuke, who is a 17 year old teen who grew up in the Afgan as a guerilla soldier, trying to fit in a normal japanese class. The funny part about this is that he goes to school carrying his glock and interprets a lot of common situation as a terorrist attack. Imagine the chaos it involves. But the series has a serious side as it also covers a much more deeper plot twist involving international espionage and terrorism.

fullmetal panic was great :D

I hated the ones that followed it though.

although, i believe it was because i watched the first one in english and grew to love the voice actor's portrayal of sagara.

then could not get the later ones in english.

I have actually watched a few anime, I watched the first FMA anime.

it's perhaps surprising because i'm not typically an anime fan, but there have been periods of my life where i did watch major anime series.

if you say fma brotherhood is a superior version of anime to the original series, i can get on board with that. from what i remember the series was good, though it dragged heavily in places.

so i will keep that in mind as an anime to watch in future.

at the present time...

i want something major. with hundreds of episodes.

i don't think FMA will have that many so for now I won't be approaching it.

one piece has hundreds of episodes so it fits that criteria.

but there is also dragonball. i may try and get ahold of that.

somebody put me off bleach, can't remember why.

i think those are the only major popular long running series i have been told about.

also, I really loved tenchi muyo.

I watched tenchi muyo ryo-ohki so that is what i will always view as the original in my mind, although it may be wildly different from... was it even based on a manga?

i'm not sure.

No, Tenchi Muyo was originally created as an OVA. I believe that only Ryo-ohki is the only true Tenchi Muyo. Other spin off of the tenchi series and TV series was somewhat stale compared to the original.

And if you want a series with hundreds of episodes, then you might want to check out Doraemon with 1787 episodes or Chibi Maruko chan with 757 episodes and still running!

i think it's impossible to watch doraemon. ^^;

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=1078

nobody is making it english. :(

i think one piece is the series i need to stick with for now. and perhaps dragonball shortly.

actually... i think doraemon is aimed at youngsters so maybe i can watch it with no subtitles.

but it seems the raw episodes are released in HD format. alas my coputer cannot handle that kind of thing these days ;_;

so hey, I watched 2 more episodes of one piece. it's getting better. I think i need to adjust to it.

what do you reckon, one piece is more like pokemon than it is like naruto?

I think that's just the first part you're watching because he was gathering his crew. As the series goes on, Luffy and the gang will face tougher and tougher opponents. Well, I can say that Luffy's naivete rivals that of Naruto, especially the determination. Just keep on watching, I wasn't that interested with One Piece at first, but as the story goes farther and farther, little did I know, I was already hooked. I guess it's the silliness that makes you think Pokemon.

yeah, the style is pretty camp. the way it is presented seems more cartoony with the exaggerated character designs and the simple animation. the story is a little more simple too. at least up to now it is simple.

i passed the episode with the dog and his store.

it's pretty emotional, reminds me of how i felt when i watched pokemon. in this case, the dog was very much like pikachu.

I'll give it a few more episodes to see how it goes. but i might stop watching it.

I might watch all of naruto again or i might watch some drama. I have zettai kareshi to watch.

heres two pence with an eether logo on...if you're going to watch Z or Kai you have to watch dragonball first, its that simple ... yeah its not as badass as Z but is still a cool contained series within itself, and you get to see the original relationships of the z fighters. from what i can remember its pretty faithful to the manga. its all good.

also mainly because i havent watched any other long anime series and i love it you gotta watch hokuto no ken. so there. its 150 odd episodes. i say if there wasnt any db or hnk there'd be no naruto ( humour, ki n crazy charas from db and drama n varied intricate fighting styles fom hnk- only my opinion). and while im mentioning fighting anime, if you havent seen it, check out Baki the grappler too - even though its realtively short 42 eps i think, its badass. its everything a fighting manga/anime should be.

Edited by Eether

yes, I'm getting dragonball.

also, I am getting d-gray man and something called fairy tail.

I think i gave one piece a fair chance. it's just not my style. I will say that it is a very good series, I'm not knocking the quality of it, it's just not what i'm looking for.

i think...

I'm passionate about landscapes and so when looking at the art style of one piece, you see the backgrounds are very minimalist. it doesn't give me the depth of atmosphere i need.

Also, are you open to other genre of anime like "Moe" (Mo-eh) or the sorts? It's somewhat hard to confine yourself to the genre that Naruto is in.

sorry durendal, I seem to have missed this part.

I'm open to many different types of series.

I've got a thing for some j-drama, enjoy series like densha otoko, ohitorisama, atashinchi no danshi, binbo danshi, zettai kareshi...

I've never been able to get what moe really is, but I have watched and enjoyed mai hime, ouran host club, furuba, honey and clover, tenchi muyo, haruhi no suzumiya no yuutsu, ... are any of these moe?

Ooh, that's right, Eether. Hokuto no Ken. That's another kickass series. What's not to love with a line "you're already dead", and boom the head explodes. It's really one of the long series with gratuitous violence. Considering that it was an 80's anime series, it's one of the pioneer series in the industry. Although you might not like the animation, the series is still good.

Here's a funny clip for it:

Like one of the comments said, in DBZ, it take goku 20 episode to kill someone, while on fist of the north star, when soneone see's Kenshiro, they're already dead. Cannon fodder fights are ridiculously short, while boss fights are epic.

sorry durendal, I seem to have missed this part.

I'm open to many different types of series.

I've got a thing for some j-drama, enjoy series like densha otoko, ohitorisama, atashinchi no danshi, binbo danshi, zettai kareshi...

I've never been able to get what moe really is, but I have watched and enjoyed mai hime, ouran host club, furuba, honey and clover, tenchi muyo, haruhi no suzumiya no yuutsu, ... are any of these moe?

Ah, "Moe" is actually one of those shows with cutesy girls like K-on, or To heart. I won't consider any of those titles you mentioned as Moe, but more in the line of "adventures of a girl doing cute or hot things". It's not actually a genre, but more of a term used to denote a female character acting "hot", '"cute" or anything that would be attractive to men.

I've said this many times before Ryuki. Go watch Welcome to NHK. It's not an action anime. But it's incredibly funny.

i would think that welcome to NHK is quite depressing?

I mean, it says on wikipedia that it is about young men with depressive epsodes.

I like to watch things with a positive outlook so I'm not sure if that is suitable.

ah, fist of the north star... a classic anime. I used to watch that years ago. maybe.. over 15 years ago i watched that. although, what i watched was either an ova or a film. it wasn't very long and i'm pretty sure i don't recognise the clip you showed. was there another production? like a series?

oh it starts off in the first episode a depressed not, but it gets more and more halirious as the absurd real life habits of Otaku begin to take hold in his life. Trust me, it's much more then it sounds. The characters keeps getting into depressing situations, but in just ends up being comical for viewers.

i think i'll give it a look then. thanks for that suggestion.