Sign in to follow this  
Guest DarkGuyverIII

HD 2D Guyver sprite.

Guest DarkGuyverIII

I made this Sprite because I wanted to try making a New Guyver Mugen character. Tell me what you guys think......

Just a little comparison picture, of the two.

post-1004-127266461733_thumb.png

Edit: I didn't make the first one.

Edited by DarkGuyverIII

it looks pretty good, but i may i suggest going around certain parts of his outline again thicker in certain areas? just to give it a nicer finish and outline. as it is it looks quite flat

edit: here's a quick example of what i mean

post-12-127482817828_thumb.png

it makes the sprite seem more solid :)

Guest DarkGuyverIII

Ohh, I like it!

I will definitely have to try that, BB-dude.

I see that you used the Max Factory Guyver 1 figure as the basis for your sprite... Which is definitely a good thing! It'd certainly help with the posing for movement and attacks.

I won't go too in depth with a critique... As mine can usually throw off a lot of young artists... But a few things I've noticed design wise:

- Guyver 1 only has 4 armor plates on his stomach area. While the Max Factory figure makes it look like 6, the piece attached to the top of the torso under the megasmashers are for a visual trick for when the figures torso in leaned forward, to make it still look like it has 4, and the plates had bent with the torso. When his back is straightened however, the effect is thrown off by the extra pieces. It's a simple mistake that a LOT of artists have made since the release of the figure.

post-29-127508792462_thumb.png

- The legs are not the same length. The forward leg, mostly the boot, is stretched quite a bit longer than the back leg. A simple tool for helping that, is using your own fingers in a "pinch" pose. Take a brief measurement of one of the boots with your index and middle fingers, and then compare it to the other. It doesn't need to be exact measurement with a ruler of course, but it gives you a better idea... Because eyes are sometimes horrible at judging sizes.

I agree with thickening up the lines as well, however, smoothing them out would also help tremendously. It's a small part you can do to make it look less like a flat image, and more like an image with some depth, and not so hard and jagged looking.

I could whip up a description in photoshop of critiques... But as I said... I can be a bit harsh when I do that >_>