Sign in to follow this  
Jess♥

how do you have your tea?(or other hot beverage)

sounds nice. :)

I've never heard of ghirardelli. sounds italian.

is it hot chocolate powder? i think we can get that, but actually, I wouldn't want to use it. I would like to find out how to make hot chocolate with pure cacao.

-------

hmm, i just did some research on chocolate. very interesting origin. I'd like to obtain some pure cacao solids.

I'm sure it's not hard to get. it's probably what they call cocoa powder.

A little google resulted that Ghirardelli is in fact a US arm of swiss candy maker Lindt. And you are correct, the founder was italian but founded his chocolate company in California, making it the second oldest chocolate company in the US.

Cocoa powder is derived from cocoa beans, just like how coffee granules are derived from coffee beans. I'm sure cocoa powder is easy to find, but I doubt it's going to be that easy to find cocoa beans.

Does it sound strange to have chocolate flavored tea?

or does it sound strange to have tea flavoured chocolatl?

anyway, I'm pretty sure, most hot chocolate beverage you could buy in the uk is NOT simple cocoa powder. such is the state of manufacturing and brands etc, I am pretty sure they will dump all sorts of chemicals and crap in it.

I don't need to find cacao beans, just like i can get ground coffee instead of freeze dried stuff, i can find proper cacao solid powder.

Believe it or not, I have tasted green tea kitkat, and it tastes very good. So I guess that answers the question of tea flavored chocolate.

I'm also sure that plain cocoa powder tastes sour and anything but sweet. You'll have to put in a lot of other stuffs to be able to get the right amount of sweetness. But of course, this will depend on your tastes as well. Let us know of your developments. Perhaps I may learn some alternatives to Ghirardelli chocolates.

I think I now know why it's so difficult to replicate the milk teas from one of our famous local cafes. They are using espresso machine to brew their tea. That's how they managed to get the smooth consistency. Not to mention that the syrups they use are sourced from Taiwan.

the best I could get was bournville cocoa by cadbury.

I was actually surprised that it was cadbury that did the best quality pure cocoa.

a big corporation like that, I expected them to do the mass produced stuff with additives etc in it.

but no, it seems like good stuff.

I made a drink with it, very good.

I'll see what it is like made with tea.

wow, an espresso machine? I wonder how that effects it. tea brews differently to coffee so I wonder how the speed of it effects the flavour.

I'm sure avid tea drinkiers are aware that Lipton came out with their Milk Tea. Well, I managed to have a taste of their Milk Tea variant from New Zealand, and surprisingly, it tastes quite different from the one locally made. I'm wondering if this is due to different ingredients used, or they changed the aroma on purpose to fit local tastes.

I've stumbled upon another variation of tea. Green Tea with Rock Salt and Cheese. This beverage, you don't drink with a straw. With green tea in the glass, the top portion of the drink is covered with rock salt and cheese, a syrup like liquid that covers the top portion of the drink. So when you drink your tea, you take a sip of the syrup.

salt and cheese??

that sounds insane!!

although, green tea is always very odd to me.

I'm already accustomed to tea being a sweet and milky drink.

You'd be surprised how it tastes. Oddly enough, it doesn't taste salty. You see, on top, there is a foam like surface which is like cheese mousse, sprinkled with rock salt. Obviously, this kind of beverage is for those who like cheese.

I'm also currently enjoying green tea latte from Starbucks. It's the time of the year where our local Starbucks is giving away a free planner/organizer once you complete 9 core drinks and 9 Christmas Drinks. Already managed to complete 1 set and I'm going for my second organizer. Do your local Starbucks have this kind of promotion? For every planner/organizer that Starbucks gives away, they are giving a certain amount to charity. I think.

i wouldn't visit starbucks. I have this feeling like they use dirt instead of coffee beans.

but my local tea and coffee supplier do have a score card.

I have one smiley face so far.

each time i buy a packet of coffee, I get one smiley face. but a packet will last me for a while so I don't think i will win.

Managed to have a taste of the Uji Matcha Milk Tea last night. Very smooth to the taste. I think I'm having a love for green tea. Especially when it's combined with red beans. I'm speaking of course about milk tea. Though I also enjoy the traditional green tea, the one you put in tea pots, I prefer to drink them with something to eat. Unlike Milk Tea which I can enjoy individually.

I have considered recently, more how to enjoy tea.

you may remember that I have expressed that I dislike green tea, or what i have tried of it.

it makes me choke.

but do you know what?

I did not know, becuase it does not seem to be made at all apparent to us brits, that green tea process is very different from our normal tea process.

I mean, buying green tea, it does not say anywhere on the box that we should use caution to make it properly or be cursed with this disgusting bitter pungent crap.

a bit of a marketing disaster really.

you see, to make tea, all I need to do is boil the water and pour it on hte tea bag and then take it out whenever i feel like it. then i chuck in a load of milk to bind the tannin mollecules so it doesn't turn my mouth into as dry as ash or choke me with bitterness. it's pretty normal.

so when making tea without milk, our expectation is that it will taste terrible. and that is true. because of how we do it. we boil the water. it's second nature. for tea, the water gets boiled. for coffee, it doesn't boil. it's like common knowledge.

now I learned that to make green tea, you must have 70-80 degree water. and steep for THREE minutes!

this is all very unusual for me. i mean, how does one get the temperature to 80 degrees? seriously, are we supposed to have a thermometer or something? I don't even know where i would buy one of those.

but i will keep my eye out for one, because apparently, green tea is supposed to be nice? and good for you too.

Wow, really? I was not aware of that. I am aware that you need to do something extra in the process but not on a certain temperature. Have you ever tried green tea brewed from your local tea house Perhaps you can try if the tea really does taste different if done properly before you go brewing your own. Might save you a lot of trouble. Have you seen the traditional tea ceremony before? I've been to a tea house in which a staff will brew the tea in front of you (that's in China), and I have to say, the way they brew the tea is not the simple boil in water type. It involves heating the water in a burner and an odd way of mixing the tea leaves and another odd process of pouring the brew into the cup.

Most of the green tea I've tried are somewhat bitter, and not much different from any traditional tea, except for the different aroma. Of course traditionally, we drink tea without any additives like milk or sugar. We drink it straight. It is only recently that I have tried drinking what is called "Milk Tea"

To tell you the truth, I don't even consider "Milk Tea" to be a true tea. I see it as something like a specialty drink because it tastes sweet and served cold. It's like the distinction between black coffee and a frappuccino, with frappuccino not really coffee.

ok try this. get some assam tea. take about a heaped teaspoon of that.

boil the water. put the water with the tea in the cup, about 70/80% full. stir in 2 teaspoon of sugar, maybe 30 seconds later take the tea leaves out. (seive?)

put in milk to fill the cup. that is british breakfast tea. more or less. it is probably the most common drink around here.

but anyway...

ha ha :lol: it is funny the concept of a uk cafe having proper green tea. it made me laugh. maybe in london they have that. in china town. there is also a china town in liverpool .but this is the sort of thing that is unheard of. this is europe. we are barbarians here :P

no, there will be nowhere near me that will have any clue how to make green tea properly.

so yes, there is the method of getting the water to 60-80 degrees. but i heard that in order to get it to around that temperature, you can do it by first put boiling water into a tea pot. swill it round and then put the water in the cup. put the tea leaves in the pot. then pour the water back from the cup into the pot. apparently, the pot and the cup absorb just the right amount of heat from the water. I may have a pot somewhere.

Recently, I have been living with some Indian guys.

I experienced tea how Indians have it normally. it is very interesting. they have this in their version of mcdonalds instead of cola or other soft drink.

It is milk tea. wow, I am amazed at how nice this is and I never thought it could be made like this!

they made it in a pan, boiled the milk in the pan with the tea bag in it and they added chopped ginger and sugar.

Very nice of them to share it with me.

it tasted very nice! it was like a milkshake kinda, except hot, and ginger.

Few months ago I tried oolong tea. It was strong milky taste, nice stuff :eat:

1 year passed after I started drinking a lot of green tee with jasmine.

Recently, I have been living with some Indian guys.

I experienced tea how Indians have it normally. it is very interesting. they have this in their version of mcdonalds instead of cola or other soft drink.

It is milk tea. wow, I am amazed at how nice this is and I never thought it could be made like this!

they made it in a pan, boiled the milk in the pan with the tea bag in it and they added chopped ginger and sugar.

Very nice of them to share it with me.

it tasted very nice! it was like a milkshake kinda, except hot, and ginger.

Oh, you mean Chai?  I think that's the traditional Indian drink.  Although I am curious about the ginger, how strong is the ginger?  I still prefer Kopi.

The ginger was subtle. it was less prominent than what I would expect to find in a ginger bread man.

For some reason the drink reminded me of hot chocolate but I'm certain there was no actual chocolate in it.

To be honest I am not much of a tea drinker. It is not that I do not like it. It's just that I have not really branched out and tried that many. I really enjoy southern style sweet tea, lemon tea, and most of the stuff from the Sleepy Time brand. I absolutely love the tea that is served in Japanese restaurants. I really wish I knew what kind it was. I am actually interested in trying some new brands of tea someday. Does anyone have any suggestions for some really flavorful ones? I am also a heavy coffee drinker. My favorite brands are Kona and Godiva.

For my part, I'm gonna try coffee with some artificial sweetener I bought today.  Because I have diabetes, I've been trying to cut back on my sugar intake, and the plain coffee at my house is pretty god-awful without some sweetener for it, and flavored coffee syrup isn't getting the job done alone.  With flavored coffee, it's fine, but the plain coffee is some really concentrated instant stuff.

If you are looking for premium tea, I would suggest Tieguanyin.  It claims to have health benefits as well as having a rich flavor.  I know very little about tea, but the tea shop in Hong Kong recommends this.  I don't usually give in to the sales talk but the gentlemen in the tea shop really convinced me.  I don't know how to describe it, but the gentleman was advanced in years, and speaks in an old fashioned way lined with wisdom.  The sagacity of his words made me choose it.

As for coffee, I'm not an avid coffee drinker.  But I have heard that the coffee from UCC tastes very well.

Oh, pardon me. UCC is a coffee brand from Japan. They have cafes all over asia so i presumed they are also available in the other side of the world. Apparently this is not the case. Thinking about it, I don’t seem to have seen any UCC when I was in indy. In asia, UCC coffee is available in the shelves of the supermarket.