Sign in to follow this  
Jess♥

how do you have your tea?(or other hot beverage)

You mean the Tarik? Very popular in Singapore and Malaysia which I also happen to like. It's something like a frothy milk tea.

I'll drink most tea in any flavor. A regular teabag heated up in water. No sugar or anything else.

But If you truly want to drink tea at it's best, I know how. Don't use tea bags.Believe it or not, freshly steamed tea is very much like freshly grinded coffee. Does wonders. There is a tea shop in New York that does precisely this, they order pure tea leaves from international sellers, then using a special tea steamer, they make the tea on the spot for costumers. You can tell if the tea leaves fresh because they are at a bright green color, not withered, unlike teabags. It's similar in practice to mainland china's Hakka styled tea, except not grinded.

Yes, tea leaves mostly have a richer flavor compared to tea bags. If you have the time and patience use tea leaves. If not, tea bags gives you the convenience of having tea instantly.

In some genuine chinese restaurants, they have a huge menu for choices of tea and they will be the one to prepare it right in front of you. It also requires some special wares, like a small burner, pot etc and they have this specific way of pouring it.

Revival! Not due to boredom or anything, but because I love tea! I gave up coffee a few years back...I still love the smell and it's so enticing to just fall off the wagon. I miss Frappe's and Cappuccino's...and all the other preparations of coffee there are, but tea has been good to me.

I prepare my tea using tea bags - PG Tips preferably - but I would very much ideally like to prepare it from loose tea. The flavour is much richer with the latter, and one day I plan to hunt down a tea pot that has a brewing chamber in it. I'm open to trying all sorts of tea and herbal infusions, but my favourite is the classic Earl Grey.

I tend to prepare it with one sugar and if it's from a tea bag, I pour milk - I like it to be an off-white colour. If it's herbal or Earl Grey, then no, I don't add milk because it just tastes weird.

I love Afternoon Tea - Scones with strawberry jam and clotted cream, though if I don't have any to hand a good Rich Tea biscuit or Digestive is fine, or crackers with butter. In Fiji, when my extended family was still there, they would often serve mildly sweetened black tea with buttered bread; the combination was divine. For this, you can't use pre-sliced bread, you have to get a loaf and cut 1 inch-thick slices yourself.

The Tarik sounds interesting; I might give that a go, provided I don't spill it everywhere when doing the mixing :)

I dont drink Tea or Coffee. Just like Takumi Inui from Faiz I suspect I'm a nekojita. Cant drink anything too hot... and I cant be bothered to wait till things cool down. I only like cold drinks, even in winter.

Another thing to the list of common stuff I dont do along with Drinking alchohol or having butter on anything at all.

butter or vegetable spread performs the job of keeping the bread from getting soggy. so if you have tomatoes on your sandwich, it will get soggy unless you use some sort of spread to 'protect' the bread.

EX, you spoke of the richer flavour of loose tea, see f you can find some clipper tea and give it a try.

it tastes much better IMO.

I don't bother with fancy tea anymore, it's too much trouble for something i drink multiple times daily.

also, maybe you can give coffee some attention?

I drink coffee on rare occasions. the flavour is so nice why deprive yourself of it?

I buy freshly ground coffee on occasion and I use it for a treat on various occasions. maybe once every couple of weeks.

I had no idea butter had that effect on bread...makes sense. I thought it was down to me liking the flavour of the slightly melted butter and sweetened tea...

I just checked Sainsbury's Online and they have Clipper Tea! Does it matter if it's loose or in a bag? If it has to be loose, I'll have to wait on trying it until I manage to find a teapot...I could use a tea strainer, but again...I need a decent pot.

As for depriving myself of coffee...I kind of have an embarrassing reason for that :redface: Part of the reason is that I was addicted to it and was drinking a cup more than once a day - had been drinking the stuff since I was like 12 or 13? The other part of the reason was down to this article I read and...um...yeah...I think it may have been right.

clipper tea do have loose version, but i wouldn't bother, it's too much hassle.

the normal everyday tea is in non bleached bags and is organic and fair trade.

lovely.

i dont drink normal tea or coffee (or have butter on any bread- ever :lol:) .

in fact ive never had coffee in my life and never intend to. i used to drink bog standard teabag tea ,but never loved it.

now here are my usual tipples if i ever indulge in hot beverages

jasmine - its subtle but nice and fragrant

nettle - tastes like grass but apparently good for the spleen

dandelion - also tastes like grass but apparently good for the kidneys

honey and lemon

ginseng

Didn't go Sainsbury's since we headed off to Rochester, but popped into Asda and while they had Clipper, they didn't have a tea-type I was interested in. Bought some loose tea and ordered my dream teapot :)

What would the Ginger Drink by Gold Kili be classified as? I tend to drink it when I'm feeling under the weather - it does wonders at comforting me. I tend to drink Jasmine or Green Tea when I'm eating Japanese...and I suppose the one tea I don't like is Peppermint, ick...I have a few more bags of the stuff to go through...

i had ginger tea once. i think it gave me a upset tummy.

maybe i made it too strong? I cut off about 1/2 cm of ginger to make it. it was very strong tasting and quite unpleasant actually.

oh well.

sometimes when i am feeling a little poorly, sneezing or coughing, I make a brew with some star anise in it. maybe some other stuff as well. crush it up in the pestle and mortar and take it all in.

supposedly why it's traditional to drink mulled wine. that stuff is good medicine.

strange ginger upset your stomach, its supposed to be good for digestion... my grandad actually chews (probably 1.5 cm) chunks of raw ginger for health :lol:

i also hate mint type teas they are '' ick'' :bleh:

:lol: I'm not sure if there's a question there, Eether?

1/2cm of Ginger isn't supposed to be that strong, but I guess it's all down to one's tolerance? Often, if I'm feeling really bad and the Gold Kili Ginger Drink doesn't cut it, my mum makes this brew of crushed Ginger in milk with a bit of Turmeric and sometimes Cardomom seeds - everything has to be mixed and the milk is brought to boil. That does the trick :)

I've never tried a remedy that used Star Anise...

EDIT

I just realised that there was a contradiction in my earlier post - I said that I'm open to trying new teas, but then stated that the Clipper varieties at Asda didn't interest me. Not what I meant - I should have elaborated, but there were only Green; White and Everyday teas available - I like to ease in with something that I know I've drunk before and judge the quality of, like Earl Grey or English Breakfast and there wasn't any. I've never drunk Green Tea outside of Japanese restaurants, so can't judge too much on the difference in quality...

Edited by ErutanXiku

they had everyday?

my branch stopped stocking it for some messed up reason. so I have to go holland and barrett.

everyday is pretty much english breakfast tea.

a blend of assam with a few others.

Huh...okay, I'll be sure to pick it up. I had no idea what they meant by "Everyday" and then there wasn't an ingredients list to scan...I'll nip over Sainbury's tomorrow and see if they have any.

I'm not sure if you'd consider this as "Tea", but recently I've been having cravings for Milk Tea. it's tea infused with flavored milk, more commonly known as Bubble Tea. This is usually a cold mixture with tapioca pearls. But I' don't like the tapioca, and instead opt for the pudding. Several stores over here are offering a variety of tea drinks, and it's actually putting pressure over Starbucks. Starbucks was forced to offer their frap at 50% off from lunch to 2PM, which I think was due to the appearance of tea bars. Unless of course this was a global thing.

I said this because my office mates used to go to Starbucks after lunch. Now, they all go have Milk Tea instead of Starbucks.

that sounds very odd! but i don't know what tapioca is. probably some kind of grain.

but milk tea? well tea always comes with milk. thats the done thing. it was invented by the british. tea didn't exist before then. [emote=monkey]nudge[/emote]

seriously though. in the uk tea always comes with milk so yeah it's definitely classed as tea.

I'm pretty sure there is no starbucks in my town.

and we have a population of 60,000 so that is surprising?

Tapioca pearls are something similar to Jello. Tapioca is a starch extracted from a certain plant native in brazil or the amazon. Checking it out on wiki, I thnk you guys call it milk pudding thickened with arrowroot.

And seriously? No starbucks there? I find it weird, since starbucks is so aggressive in opening stores, they open 2 stores just right beside each other.

Also, I've checked wikipedia (my best friend for quick information), and apparently, tea was already being served as a beverage in China since 200BC. I think the Tea was imported to the British at around 16th from trade ships coming from China. Well, you can check out wikipedia for the details since I'm not really an expert on tea. Though in China, we don't mix milk with tea, nor do we add sugar. We drink them as is.

yeah i know, I was just having a joke with you ;)

I thought about this and i think there is a starbucks in the trendy new shopping centre.

I don't go there though. no local businesses there, just big shopping chains.

I don't care for those places.

I'm not much into starbucks either. Too rich for me. The only time I go to a starbucks is if I was asked to, or have a meeting. You might call me a social coffee drinker, as I don't really drink coffee.

But Tea, that's the way for me.

I just tried Bubble Tea last night! I love it! I met up with a few friends and we had dinner in China Town while planning our trip to Hong Kong in September. The place I had it was at one of my friends buddie's tea shop - they also have desserts and light snacks.

I'm not sure if it could be called 'tea'...I had the Honeydew flavour...it really reminds me more of like a thin milkshake but with ice and tapioca pearls...but then I couldn't see how they made it lol, but it was really nice. I'm looking forward to trying more in Hong Kong as my friend tells me that there's lots more places :)

Yummy right? i could sip on those mlk tea all day. I think it is still tea but with the mixture of milk more prominent. Is it milk flavored tea or tea flavored milk?

Going to Hong Kong eh? If you're an apple fan, you might want to consider getting an Ipad there, since they also happen to be selling them cheaper. Browse through Mongkok for lot's of best deals in shopping surprises. Oh, and don't forget to visit Ocean Park. And remember, bring us lots of pictures. If I remember correctly, you still owe us lot's of pictures from your previous trips. Hihihihi.

I think it's probably more milk-flavoured tea...since there seems to be a lot more milk than tea :/ I don't know, but it's very tasty! I feel like going back to try the other flavours and varieties they have...but China Town is too far to make the journey all the time...well, it's only 45 minutes by train but the fare is too high!

I'm not sure how I feel about the iPad...it's just an oversized iPhone and my fingers don't like using touch-screens too much. I would buy one, however, if I could use a pen with it then I can use it as a portable graphics tablet, which is something I really want and my brother's going to help me build it once I buy all the materials...

Lol, I'll be sure to take a lot of pictures and yeah...thanks for reminding of another reason why I should finish fixing my PC quickly - all the pictures I need to put up! Thing is, I'm not sure where the best place is to have them viewable...not too keen on Flickr because of the size limit...would DropBox be better?

EDIT: I only ask because I take heaps of photos, but I guess I could pick a few of the main ones and share those...

Edited by ErutanXiku