Sign in to follow this  
Jess♥

how do you have your tea?(or other hot beverage)

hey guys, I'm interested in how you have your tea?

do you have regular tea bags such as typhoo or pgtips or do you like a bit of the good stuff.

do you like made in a cup or in a pot. loose tea or bags.

how much milk, a spot or half a cup? sugar? one lump or two?

do you like it as white as a scared child on halloween or as stewed as soggy dumplings?

tell me!!

and if you don't drink tea (how could you?!) then how do you make your good ol' mug of joe?

me, personally, I am liking ceylon at the moment. I have got some loose ceylon and making it using a wonderful cup that was in fact a gift from our very own kenji. i've never been one for a pot, i just don't drink so much in one go. it's generally spread out through the day. I like it about 3 minutes, not quite stewed but with a good flavour to it. I have to have about 20-30% milk to be just right and i have about 2 sugars.

normally when i am not trying out loose tea, i have a favourite. clipper tea. it comes in unbleached tea bags and it is well sourced from organic farmers and also fair trade. i currently can't get hold of it and so that is why i'm using the loose tea.

disclaimer: due to the british stereotype, there may be those of you who think this thread is satire. I would like to state that this thread is in fact only very mildly satirical and i am genuinely interested in this.

I have it regular, with just, well, I used to use sugar but I am on the sweet-'n-low, and no milk or lemon. Usually I have chocolate biscuits with it. I don't drink tea as often as I should.

I don't think Tea is limited to british. Chinese have tea as their staple drink.

For me, it really depends on the situation. When dining, we usually have chrysanthemum or Jasmine tea, brewed using the tea leaves. If I fancy having something sweet with my tea, then I would order milk tea. But when at home relaxing, we have tea bags, the most common brand would be lipton, but I would rather have those tea with special flavors found on coffee shops.

But during formal occasions, we have this special tea party, wherein special tea leaves (which is really expensive) are used, with a special method on how to prepare using a special pot. This is somewhat similar to the tea ceremony of the Japanese, but not too formal like the Japanese Tea Ceremony.

Tea is the dark and dastardly work of Satan! lol.

Sorry, I hate tea, I always have. In the very unlikely event I drink coffee, it has to be flavored, preferably caramel or vanilla, although on the whole if it isn't carbonated and called Pepsi Max or Diet Cherry coke, I tend to avoid it altogether anyway.

Too much cola is rather unhealthy, and so is coffee. Well excessive amount of pretty much everything is bad for you. You'll understand that when you get older when it's already too late.

Guest Temi4

6-7 mugs during the day, with rolls and sometimes with chocolate, without lemon or milk 8~) I love black tea :biggrin:

I love very-very hot tea with candy, cake or cookie :drool: I always drink clean water after having a tea.

Tea is believed to be antioxidants. So in a way, drinking 2-4 cups of tea a day is considered by many as a healthy habit.

yes they do say that. I don't know if it's true or not, but it's so goddamn tasty :)

i am not sure i could drink it without milk. the tannin you see. it makes my mouth all icky. so i got to have milk. i guess at some time, I could try it with lemon instead. that would be interesting.

Here's a silly question. Over here, Iced tea is quite popular, especially since it was popularized by nesteas Lemon Ice Tea. When you order a glass of Ice Tea and request to have no ice, do you simply call it tea?

About that, do you consider the powdered cold beverage ice tea to be equilavent to the traditional tea? For me, I consider them to be juices. But there are some establishments here that serve ice tea using traditional tea, with a bit of honey.

I'm no tea connoisseur, but I occassionaly enjoy a cup or two, without any additives. Just plain tea. I feel that adding sugar, milk or any other additives deprives the tea of its essence and flavour.

With cream and sugar, though on occasion I'll substitute honey for the sugar. It tastes good either way, of course, but sometimes I'm just in the mood for one type of sweetener over another. My favorite types of tea are chai, vanilla, and chammomile; or however you spell that last one.

I'm glad you're getting good use out of that cup I gave you, Ryuki. :biggrin:

hmm, i may have honey in tea at some point, when i have green tea, and then i make sure it has cooled down beforehand as i do not want to destroy the enzymes in the honey. it is kinda nice.

so... ice tea? powdered lemon tea? i believe these things are pure novelty as far as i know. i remember one time ages ago when i was a kid, my mum bought some of that stuff. it was weird. it didn't last long. it's not seen as traditional asian tea since it is powdered. i guess it is seen as a kind of heresy. since the asian tea ceremony's are seen as very important, then if we are to drink tea in that manner, we would be careful to be respectful. traditionally, british tea is served in a pot, then we have milk and sugar in the cup and pour the tea, and we have scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam. and that is called afternoon tea.

i think if that type of ice tea were served.. even without ice, it would still be called iced tea.

ah and that is spelled camomile ;)

no, i don't believe it is cottage cheese. we have cottage cheese and clotted cream so they must be different.

clotted cream ... as far as i know it is like a very thick cream. sometimes it has yellow clear liquid in the container.

who knows, it could be the same thing, I never had cottage cheese really.

Guest Deka-RyuRanger-Red

Coffee. Milk an 2 sugars. Pretty strong, like espreso (sic). Altho on the odd occasion I do have tea, I like it the same way as coffee, milk an 2 sugars. Don't like any fancy tea's, jus regular pg tips or typhoo. Altho right now, we have Yorkshire tea in the house, my 1 yr old daughter loves a bottle of the stuff in the morning, lol

How does it taste, then? Is it like some kind of unsweetened butter? Maybe cream cheese?

think about natural cream.

ah.. scratch that. I remembered that the American companies dump loads of sugar in it.

uhm.. ok think about full fat milk. now think about the difference between skim milk and full fat milk. so now think of double the thickness and richness. and again. it's not particularly sweeter, just richer. creamier.

man, I'm not even sure what sweetened butter is. we have either salted or unsalted.

Would it be like Half & Half, then? I love that stuff. Also, I've never had skim milk in my life. I've tried 2%, hated it, then went back to drinking whole milk.

I too find it strange to have sweetened butter. Usually when I use butter as a spread I'd add some sugar to make it sweet. But butter isn't really something that I would consider healthy.

And based on wiki, clotted cream is just well, cream. It's just a different way on how they are prepared.

Anyway, another way of enjoying tea is pulling the tea with condensed milk. Pouring the mixture back and forth between two glasses from a height, giving it a thick frothy top. This process cools the boiled tea down to drinking temperature and helps thoroughly mix the tea with the milk. It is also done to give the tea a better flavor. This beverage is also called the tarik.

Here's how the finished product looks like:

tehtarik.jpg

edit: picture didn't show on first post.

Edited by durendal

well considering the last post on this topic was in april, i figure ill revive it for the sake of trying to get rid of boredom.

as far as how i like my tea goes:

i prefer it nice and hot with just a regular tea-bag

i have milk in both tea and coffee because just looking at black tea or coffee makes me go blah :confused:

i put in two and a half tea spoons of sugar ( i dont know if thats the same as two and a half lumps of sugar :biggrin: )

also i sometimes like to soak bread in my tea and eat that as an alternative to just drinking the tea :razz:

im just weird like that ;)

Lawl, getting rid of boredom.

Anyway.

If I'm in the mood for a teabag, then I'd rather get orange pekoe of pretty much any tea.

Mostly, though, I tend to go for loose (Asian heritage).

But then there's also when I just feel like adding milk/cream and sugar into strong yellow tea and pouring it in shredded ice.

Lawl, HK style.

And then there's bubble tea.

With actual juice and tea (not the powdered stuff, unless it's carbonated).

Then I tend to add little lychee cubes in it. :3

Nowadays, Iced tea served with Lemon are usually powdered. This is mostly popularized by Nestea's Lemon flavored Ice tea. I'd say that these kind of tea fall under the category of juices.

Although I believe that tea should be traditionally served hot, there are new kind of tea brew being developed everyday. At the moment, I can still find some restaurant that serve authentic Milk Tea, that is regular tea served with milk, a brew that has some sort of a bitter sweetness to its flavoring. I don't fancy those bubble tea which is serve as chilled milk tea with tapioca.