Sign in to follow this  
Hyper_Guyvantic

Star Trek

I for one find it difficult to swallow a Star Trek movie being an alternate reality. It's so un-Star Trek like. Anyway, since I'll be watching the movie this coming weekend, perhaps you guys can prep me on what my mindset should be. Should I expect it be the mind-blowing, or just expect the worst?

i say, to keep in the frame of mind like when watching transformers. this is a hollywood movie and has lots of action and explosions.

it's not so hot on the science and also tries to get the blood flowing with some sexyness.

remember this is jj abrams, so think about cloverfield and lost.

also, I'm not exagerating, but i honestly got the feel of 'galaxy quest' at some points.

it is fun and it is interesting to see how some of the characters are very accurate, but i feel it is missing some fundamental basics of what we would expect of star trek. keep an open mind and you may come away frm the movie house very satisfied.

oh , ps guys, apparently a sequel to this movie has actually been 'annouced' according to IMDB.

i'm interested to see how they do.

Wishfully thinking of course, I hope they have Q in it even though Q was Next Generation. It would be interesting to see how Kirk reacts to Q.

Edited by LordSpleach

The movie pasted my father's, his sister's and her boyfriend's judgement. They were quite happy with everything except for the incident that happened with Spock's mother. I was quite happy myself watching it a second time. The ship designs for the Federation Ships were beautiful. Especially the Enterprise. What sealed me into seeing the movie, when I was going to wait for it to come out to DVD was the saucer section in the very first preview. It in my opinion is a hybrid of the TOS and TMP Enterprises. I however can't wait to see the Refit of this Enterprise ;)

This movie has easily made it into my favorites for Star Trek Movies. Which includes Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country, and Nemesis. I may see it one last time to use up my free movie pass I got from Regal. Now is it me, or do the space battles in the Star Trek movies only get better after each movie? Because the movie that had as much catastrophe on one ship was Nemesis when the Enterprise and the Valdore Class duked it out with the Scimitar. Like people being sucked out into space. Conduits hanging so low that it risks electricuting people, like when Enterprise rammed the Scimitar.

As someone who plays Armada 2, well not anymore til I can replace the disc, I can't wait for a patch to come out with every ship and every station from the movie. That would be a patch worthy of downloading.

But one thing is for sure, when I get money again I am definately buying the soundtrack.

Now alittle of subject in my post, what is the song used in the Terminator: Salvation trailer?

But lastly, I hope they dont bring Q back. He was annoying in TNG and Voyager. Im glad he only made a 1-3 cameos in DS9.

I thought that saucer section looked identical to the refit enterprise from the motion picture. the red lights on the back and the blue stripes arund the edges. I've not studied it a lot in that repect though, the saucer section doesn't look too radical to me. the whole shape of teh ship looks to me that it could possibly be a precursor to a ship that looks more like teh refit. although there is no guarantee that this ship would actually get a refit since now everything is different.

but i thik hte engineering section is much the same shape as that of the refit and when they did teh refit, they changed the naycelles completely. i thik a refit on this one would have it looking very similar to TMP without too much work.

My feeling about the battle scenes... I thik that jj abrams may have been watching star wars, this reminded me of the battle scene at the beginning of revenge of the sith. that battle scene was the greatest space battle i have ever seen, this movie could be good, but i am unsure if jj abrams directing is perhaps a little too fast to show clearly.

Yeah, Ryuki you right about the space battles. Now if they threw in fighters in the sequel, than this new reboot is truly a radical different alt. universe.

Fighters in Star Trek? If that indeed came to pass, then I'd be calling it Star Trek Wars. One thing constant about Star Trek is that they never have what you would call a constant Hero. I mean, they managed to get this done because it is part of their job.

star trek has it share of fighters, from memory, voyager had to fight off two alien class fighters, they did some minor to moderate damage to voyager...

and my mom, whos a trekkie, says that the defiant (the small ship from deep space nine) is classified as a fighter as well... its the same ship that worf was captaining in first contact.

heres my deal. if its not a one to three man crew, it aint a fighter. to me, the defiant would be more like a small freighter or something. not a fighter.

fighters on star trek are just so big and rare to be seen.

you could call it a tactical attack vessel.

I think this is what it was referred to as.

designed to fight the borg.

also, the enterprise E was likely designed more as a war ship, you can tell by the subdued lighting of the ship. it has exactly the same sort of feel as the alternate enterprise in one of the mirror universe episodes.

usually, the placement of phasers on the starships is sufficient to fend off any vessel. the fighting in star trek universe is more determined by power levels, how strong your shields are etc.

also, since in star trek, their mission is primarily one of peace and exploration, they are not generally at war, so they don't really use war 'fighter' type ships.

Star trek already had fighters in DS9, during the Dominion war. They were two man ships (assuming) as they looked like the ships the Maqui used. Don't forget the Valkyrie class shuttle, which has been used like a fighter in Insurrection.

It's interesting how the loss of the Kelvin delayed the launch of the Enterprise by 13 years

Enterprise launch 2245

Alternate Enterprise 2258

Enterprise A launch 2270

Kirk enters the Acadamy 2250(?)

New Kirk enters the Acadamy 2255

Kirk takes command of the Enterprise 2265

New Kirk commands the Enterprise under Admiral Pike in 2258(?)

Pike must have written one interesting dissertation on the Battle of the Kelvin to convince Starfleet to delay christoning a ship.

oh, am I in error?

I would not have said starfleet had fighter type vessels, since i thought they called all small vessels shuttles.

but if they actually specifically refer to them as fighters, i stand corrected, my memory of those series is a little fuzzy.

I believe they are classified as shuttle since this is the Federation we are talking about, but they were probably used like fighters in the Dominion War(I don't know since I never liked DS9, Babylon 5 was more of my show).

Googled starfleet fighters and only yielded a few results. Puffin Class and and Penguin Class fighters seems to exists. Although I'm not sure how official they are.

Lets not forget the Maquis Raiders. I dont remember what class they were, but they were built by the Federation if im not mistaken until the Maquis broke off from the Federation. Am I right? The Venture Class Ship from Inssurection is considered a Scout Fighter to all of us that play Star Trek Armada and or Armada II.

But to those who havent seen the movie because it doesnt "hold true to the original series" according to Nemoy from SNL last saturday "If you dont see the movie and don't like it, you are a d**khead."

there is a website called ex-astris-scientia that has a listing of all canon star trek ships.

just took a look, and apparently there is a federation fighter, but it has not appeared in any movie or episode apart from the modified one used by the maquis.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/fedshuttles2.htm

it's called a peregrine class, but i'm not too sure about this as it is actually referred to as a courier ship in hte only mention of it in the DS9 episode.

the venture class is called scout ship in canon. it's what was used by data in insurrection. from what i remember, it was very similar to a shuttle.

Guest Dr. DekaRed

i thought it mite help if i posted up side on schematics of each enterprise, for direct comparrison :D

Enterprise NX-01

post-3-1242168843_thumb.jpg

Enterprise TOS

post-3-1242168285_thumb.jpg

Enterprise JJ Abrams

post-3-1242168303_thumb.jpg

Enterprise TMP Refit (also Enterprise A)

post-3-1242168395_thumb.jpg

Enterprise B

post-3-1242608907_thumb.jpg

Enterprise C

post-3-1242168556_thumb.jpg

Enterprise D

post-3-1242168591_thumb.jpg

Enterprise E

post-3-1242168630_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dr. DekaRed
replaced excelsior refit with actual enterprise b

Funny thing I just noticed. In Spaced, Simon Pegg's character Tim said "Every odd numbered Star Trek movie is drenn."

And he is an odd numbered Star Trek movie!

maybe that's why they removed the number suffix?

I'm a little glad.... I think, at least the new enterprise is better designed than tha enterprise E.

I don't like that thing, too flat. looks like a turkey with no neck.