Sign in to follow this  
Tales

What's wrong with today's Rider?

Do you think that Den-O's appearance has affected the Riders that came after it?

Discuss this intelligently.

Edited by Tales

yes. most certainly.

there was something about den-o that has stuck with kamen rider.

it's hard to describe exactly what this is, but i will give it some thought and write more tomorow.

A Rider requiring power of friends to help him is what I get from it. Den-O had Sieg & the Taros. Kiva had Kivat, Tatsulot & the Arsenal Monsters. Decade's got the Riders before him.

In my opinions, Den-O has adversely changed the entire franchise of Kamen Rider. First off the budget cuts to series like Kiva and perhaps Decade. I think it was the money siphoned into the Den-O movies that ruined Kiva, a series with great potential.

Good storyline and character development is less emphasize compared with slapstick comedy.

do you think the budget has decresed? or has it merely been displaced?

I mean, let's look at the elements in earlier kamen rider series.

monsters in costumes, rider system with transformation and the special effects of teh attacks. then we get to den-o and we have fully CG elements being featured regularly. denliner and the other train, the giant monsters they had him fighting...

this seems to be a feature that has taken a stronghold. giant monsters.

it is true that we had this kind of thing in ryuki and we had transforming motorcycles in faizu, but they did not seem so prominent..

Japan's in a tough recession now, one of the worse. So donmestic films will have trouble of course.

However, people have lived through poor special effects in the past, so it's no big deal.

Kamen Rider does have better special effects than most other indie tokusatsu. However, somea re catching up I think

Japan's in a tough recession now, one of the worse. So donmestic films will have trouble of course.

However, people have lived through poor special effects in the past, so it's no big deal.

Kamen Rider does have better special effects than most other indie tokusatsu. However, somea re catching up I think

True but sfx alone do not make the show, it's the pacing, the story and .etc that makes a toku show good.

And the pacing, battles and story is the problem with some of the post-Den-O rider shows nowadays.

Anyway, I believe those fans who cannot stand the bad fighting choreography, bad story writing and acting are all taking refuge here from other forums where other foolish fans are flaming you guys upside down.

I think Den-O and the trends that followed has split the fanbase into many sides that are angry with each other's opinions.

Feel free to talk about it here, those who have been hurt by others.

I have not yet seen Den-O yet, but I have seen it's predecessor Kabuto. I think the major change in Den-O was the big emphasis on comedy. Although it was Kabuto that started the comedy, I think it was until Den-O that the slapstick went full scale. Kiva didn't really have that comedic feel to it which is why it did not appeal to many.

There is more to Kamen Riders than Comedy.

It's the atmosphere, fighting, character interactions whichs pulls people in. Kiva is lacking in those sections.

And if you see Kabuto then you know that Comedy and Kamen Rider dun mix very well unless you are a very good screenwriter

That is true. But if you compare the present riders to the previous riders, the old riders have a more serious tone. I mean zero presence of comedy. I'm not sure what you mean by comedy and kamen rider not mixing well, I have seen Kabuto and I found the comedy somewhat enjoyable even though somewhat minimal. Even in Decade, just watching Tsukasa on Den-O world made me laugh. Momotaros is funny. Especially the Den-O cards which Decade used. Priceless. Ore Sanjo card which is practically useless. LOL.

Guest CompleteDeka
It's the atmosphere, fighting, character interactions whichs pulls people in. Kiva is lacking in those sections.

ok, were you watching a completly different show? as Kiva had very good doses of all three of them, in fact they seemed to be what made the show.

as for comedy in kamen rider, its always been there in some form. ryuki was side-splitting at times, and faiz was also quite funny in places.

I don't think people are referring to any type of humour.

den-o was comedic in style.

ryuki had humour but the show itself was not comedic in style.

Is it possible that Kamen Rider changed becos Japanese people's attitudes and culture changed?

to be completely honest, I have always thought this is all due to disney messing with bandai.

since disney became involved with bandai, super squadron shows changed. they becamer more like power rangers and no longer satisfied the same target audience. I believe this threw the whole tokusatsu genre into a farore, there has been othr series becoming more like what super squadron used to be.

tomica hero rescue fire is very much like what i used to love about super squadron. and before that, masked rider became more like that. it is true that super squadron have been much better with shinkenger... i wonder if this marks a change in direction for tokusatsu again?

One can only hope. Both Dekaranger and half of Boukenger were let downs. I really couldn't even get into Go-Onger so I have never finished that series yet.

Lets hope since Black's return to Decade and also Kamen Rider W coming, Kamen Rider can get its spirit back.

i couldn't be sure, but i think dekaranger was free from the influence of disney.

i didn't actually like dekaranger, but it still seemed like proper super sentai to me.

it was when magiranger started, I started to notice some peculiar changes.

this continued all the way until go-onger. then go-oner seemed to seem more like proper super sentai again.

I don't think it was a very strong series to be honest but it did seem to contain the proper elements at least.

so for me, the infection seems to be present for magiranger, boukenger and gekiranger...

I characterise this by what i call the 'tellytubby land' syndrome. dekared will be familiar with me using this term :lol:

it's the bright colours.

think about the boukengers.. and that kinda... 'base' that they have. and all those garish bright colours, it's like one of those messed up kids shows.

maybe also the less serious and deep storylines too... It's also inflicted the movie industry too.

Hey I was watching Kamen Rider Black and I can see that despite the low grade SFX. The story, atmosphere and more are excellent much better than the drenn Toei has been giving us. And Toei needs to give a good explanation why on a lower budget, can they create something as good as Black and yet today they give us high budget but crappy drenn.

i understand you feel strongly, but dude... 'crappy drenn' could be a little harsh? ^^;

I do really enjoy watching decade.

i never watched the earlier series, but i take your word for it that they were better, still, that doesn't make the current series the worst thing ever. they are still good. just maybe not as good as before ;)

may i say that?

Yup... Wow, I think it's time for me to act and find the VCDs of Black and Black RX before it's forgotten by the next generation who have been seeing a load of crap these days.

But Decade does have a few merits, at least it's better than Kiva or Den-O put together. Kiva really wasted a good theme and Den-O made Time Travel which is a serious matter have too much comedy.

Kotaro back then has a lot more balls than the Riders of today. There was an episode where he was injected with a hormone that induces fear. Based on my observations, a modern Rider would spent 1 episode whining in fear.etc. But Kotaro aka Kamen Rider Black, amazingly overcame that fear in a couple of minutes. He's a hero with conviction perhaps... A true Rider....

Edited by Tales

do you think that is a little unrealistic though?

I mean what do you think of the merits of showing somebody who is abnormal over showing somebody that you can relate to?

I mean 90 percent of people would succumb to fear quite easily.

I watched grown men scream like a girl in reaction to a tiny spider the size of a pinhead.

what are your views on earlier riders such as tendou from kabuto... and shinji from ryuki.

also.. do you think that masked rider is appealing to otaku more? so perhaps the main hero is made more like an otaku so they can relate more easily?

what are your thoughts on that?