Sign in to follow this  
durendal

American Comics

Recently I've been reading american comics, particularly marvel. They just finished their company wide crossover and I enjoyed the story overall. Althought I was a bit disappointed with the end results, it was still an enjoyable read. Another story that I enjoyed was the Planet Hulk storyline. The story is about to end and will result to the company wide crossover this year for marvel, the World War Hulk. And we all know that the madder the hulk is, the stronger he gets. Let's just say that this time, pissed is an understatement.

I've never seen the hulk comics, but I have seen spiderman and X-men.

I really enjoyed the Hulk movie though.

I think Hulk is a pretty cool character.

this company crossover you mentioned.. what is that like.

I saw one a long while ago where they have a marvel and DC universe... and the characters were all mashed up and mixed.

Guest DekaRed

I know about these, you might remember the Onslaught saga from X-Men which brought every other Marvel hero into the story at some point.... well they do these big stories quite regularly, the most recent one for Marvel has just finished, it was called Civil War and I believe it changed the lives of some of our heroes in quite major ways. I won't mention any of them, we want this a spoiler free zone :)

DC does them as well, I think they've just had Crisis on Infinite Earths, which had a rogue superboy running around calling himself superman2... or something like that, lol.

One of those changes in Civil War made the national news here in US so its already spoiled.

That Crisis thing has changed a lot.

These days the comic publishers seem to like killing off heroes.

I haven't read a comic book in years. I just read what's been posted at wikipedia.

Guest DekaRed
One of those changes in Civil War made the national news here in US so its already spoiled.

These days the comic publishers seem to like killing off heroes.

Unfortunately some of us are not from the US so we did not see any headlines, and don't know about

any heroes killed off.

Thats what I meant by a spoiler free zone.

Dammit! That's what I hated about the Civil War. I actually didn't know that happened until I search the internet for it. I cried.

The World War Hulk is basically another one of those corssover, like Dekared said, similar to onslaught of the x-man. This time the heroes will be facing the Hulk. From the ourside you will see that the Hulk is the bad guy, but after reading the Planet Hulk saga, you can see that his actions are justified. Imagine how you'd feel after you've been kicked out of the planet, send off course the intended planet they intend to send you, spilled your blood to survived and getting what you finally wanted, just to be screwed over again by the guys who kicked you out. Like I said, pissed is an understatement.

I've not heard much about DC these days. I did enjoy the several classic titles more specifically batman. DC didn't grab my attention much like how Marvel grabbed mine. Also, I'm currently enjoying the Savage Dragon series by Erik Larsen from Image. Really unorthodox story but really enjoyable. Hey, where else do you see the Devil kicking God in the nuts.

I haven't read it yet. Would you care to give us some insight on the title? If it's interesting enough, I might try my hand on reading it.

I haven't read it yet. Would you care to give us some insight on the title? If it's interesting enough, I might try my hand on reading it.

It's pretty much an insightful look at what happens when a guy name Yorick and his monkey Ampersand are the only surviving males in the world. Lots of strange things happen as the women cope with the sudden loss of their loved ones, survivors guilt, and the dawning on them that humankind is doomed to extinction. This is a pretty intense drama documenting what you'd probably see and do if you were the last man on earth.

The story resolves pretty much on Yorick's quest to find his girlfriend who's currently in Australia, he's soon joined by a secret agent for a body guard, and they have to look for a scientist who might know what happened to all the men.

They find out lots of things happen on the way

-like a cult that believes mother earth cleansed itself of man. They go around killing hermaphrodites and burning sperm banks

-the Israeli army is looking for him. (all girls in Israel are required at least one year of compulsory service, so yeah, they still have a strong military, as opposed to America, where men constitute 98% of all officers)

What started me reading this was the realization that pretty much everyone you see is either a lesbian, going to die soon, or going to sleep with the main character.

On another note, this series also incorporates pirates, ninjas, and robots in a single story arc.

Well to be honost the only american comics I ever read was spider man and the short runned Venom comics.

It's pretty much an insightful look at what happens when a guy name Yorick and his monkey Ampersand are the only surviving males in the world. Lots of strange things happen as the women cope with the sudden loss of their loved ones, survivors guilt, and the dawning on them that humankind is doomed to extinction. This is a pretty intense drama documenting what you'd probably see and do if you were the last man on earth.

The human race started with one man and one woman.

The human race started with one man and one woman.

that is of course, a matter of opinion :wink:

I must say that sounds like a terribly interesting concept!!

of course it plays on a mans natural instincts....

they probably have some specific type of Anime that covers that concept. :rolleyes:

I might be tempted to read it if i didn't dislike reading so much! :lol:

Guest Unknown_Guyver

I rarely read American comics really, I'd read Resident Evil comic adoptions and also I got my hands on the Complete Metal Gear Solid graphic novel. If you have not got a PSP to watch the MGS Digital Novel this comic book is baslcy the same is that without the effects and music :lol: I really love it though because of its artistic style, staying true to the original art of the Artists who did the concepts for the MGS series and the story too. A really well worth a read. Besides that the only comics I'd take an interest in is Spawn, Batman and The Crow.

Ok, managed to grab myself a few issues of Y-man. Didn't realize it was in the Vertigo imprint of DC. Books from the vertigo line are usually good reads. Pretty funny how the last man on earth turns out in a world ruled by women.

I liked how the title is a play on words. Y stands for Yorick, the y-chromosome exclusive to men, and the word why.

Another thing about this series is the fact that it's most likely the type to be donated to your local library. That's how I got started on it.

Everything starts out relatively tame, but wait until you get to the part where the pirates battle a submarine. Then everything goes batshit insane. And this all happens in a natural progression of what would happen if you were the last man on earth. If you think carefully about it, everything he does is carefully mapped so that he pursues his goals while staying alive.

Yeah, I jest finished reading issue 50. I'm still wondering what the Israelites intention with Yorick, and where his sister and the Russian chick is going with the kids.

Another interesting title that I've read recently is the Savage Dragon. Its one crazy story after another. I'm still waiting for issue 132.

The coolest american comic ever SPAWN. Or maybe Megatokyo but that's just a web comic so I guess it doesn't count. But Spawn freak'n rocks I mean he's got the cape that can transform and the body which any part can be turned in to a bladed weapon of some kind's it sweet.

Ah, spawn, yes, having the nice necro-plasma entity as a costume. Not to mention being able to defeat his master, and becoming the absolute being as powerful as God and the Devil. Just gotta love the story in there. His toys are kinda cool too.

I've just recently started reading DC's 52. I've read good reviews of it, but I'm still not impresed after reading 5 issues of it. Perhaps the juicy parts would come later.

Guest Unknown_Guyver

I recomend this to any person who like The Punisher marvel comics.

The Punisher Kills The Marvel Universe comic from Marvel's What if series.

Before even stating anything about this comic and I know its japan legend but this comic is a beauty. It is worthy as a comic to be shown. I personally think this comic is th serious point where it shows the Punisher not so weak like he has been well classed as by a lot of marvel fans because he has no Super Powers. Now the What If comic book series by Marvel is different universes so this doesn't take place in any true storyline to do with any characters. The way I can explain it is, What if Aunt May died instead of Uncle Ben(spider-man's what if comic).

This one is a very extreme comic book as most Punisher comics are, specially the Garth Ennis Welcome Back Frank series. This story was actually written by Garth Ennis and seems to be very rare to find. Many fans of it say different things like certain characters' emotions are differentbut thats how its suppose to be but yet a lot of fans say that this is a truly historic comic book due to the fact of how the Punisher is. A true Anti-Hero. Now this What If comic is basicly (Wha if Frank Castle's(The Punisher) Family didn't get killed by a mob hit, instead got killed in a cross-fire between Superheros and Supervillians. This means that instead of the Punisher going for gangstas, murders, drug dealersand rapists, he goes after superheros. Throughout the whole comic he kills over 500 superheros and supervillians in the Marvel Universe inculding The Hulk, Wolverine, Doctor Doom, Vemon and Spider-man.

This is no joke, this is facts about this comic book. I have the comic on my computer if anyone wants me to send it via email, just give me a pm.

Here is a 4 page from it.

post-14-1176858097_thumb.jpg

post-14-1176857985_thumb.jpg

post-14-1176858035_thumb.jpg

post-14-1176858077_thumb.jpg

Edited by Unknown_Guyver

Guest UG's other half

I read it it's quite intresting on how the story goes i like it :biggrin:

Interesting. Although I don't have much liking to the punisher, I have great respect for him and what he does. The 4th page that's showing him facing off Captain America, in recent events at marvel indicated that Frank Castle has the utmost respect for Captain America. Won't even fight back when he was being beaten to a pulp. Cap was one of the guys that trained Frank Castle. And after the events at Civil war,

Frank Castle picked up the mask of Captain America. Some even suggested that he will become the next Captain America.

I've never read any of the What ifs, but the ideas that the comic present are refreshing. I do however have read the What the!?. Kinda spoofs for the what ifs.

Edit: .....

Edited by durendal

Sorry, then perhaps you might want to edit out your quote. And do you really need to use Caps on that?

And recently finished reading the latest issue of 52, things really did get interesting. I guess you really shouldn't judge a comic with only a few issues. Lot's of things happening that I didn't quite expect, like who died and who was still alive. Guess there's 3 more weeks of anticipation for me.

Edited by durendal

Guest DekaRed

ok i edited my quote....

but i have said a few times on page 1 of this thread that we want this a spoiler free zone as some of us are in the uk and don't know what happened yet

and don't want to know until we get chance to read it

maybe you didn't read the last page. maybe you did and chose to ignore my request.

of course i now have a pretty good idea of something major that happened which i really didn't want spoiled.

Look, it was an honest mistake. Could we just drop this? Yeesh!

back to topic,

how do you guys acquire your comics anyway? Do you get them the usual way, like buying them from a newstand, or do you just get ebil and leech it off the internet. I used to buy comics from our local comic book store. I was a collector then, but stopped (no more space). Now I get issues off the internet the ones I can no longer buy on our book store. But usually, I just borrow from a friend.