Sign in to follow this  
odin

Godzilla

well... for the hensei series that same telepath girl keeps appearing.

Miki Saegusa from the Heisei series? Eh, she was kinda annoying at times though, but other than that she's pretty the only major recurring human character in the Godzilla movies. She was pretty much the only human character that appeared in several Godzilla movies. Megumi Odaka's best performance as Miki IMO was in Destoroyah. Ah, Destoroyah, one of my favorite movies and one of my favorite kaiju. Such a sad film too...

they do have those annoying little thumbalinna twins that talk to Mothra.

It shouldn't be too hard to create a series. I can come up with one in an instant. Let's see, they had that one Godzilla movie where that kid lived out a fantasy of hanging out with Godzilla and Godzilla jr. What if they were to take that concept and apply it to an anime. Have a kid who does befriend Godzilla's kin the past, Godzilla died in the recent movie, the kid could communicate and become Godzilla's moral concept. That's just for starters, you could easily develop the plot around suddenly several monsters becoming active, the military attempting to capture the kid to control Godzilla for world conquest, and the cause of the monsters being an ancient species of dinosaur that had evolved and not died out, but only resurfaced recently thanks to radiation poisoning their hidden civilization. If American can turn a crappy Hollywood movie into a decent cartoon in the spirit of Godzilla, then Japan should be able to do something way more awesome.

they do have those annoying little thumbalinna twins that talk to Mothra.

It shouldn't be too hard to create a series. I can come up with one in an instant. Let's see, they had that one Godzilla movie where that kid lived out a fantasy of hanging out with Godzilla and Godzilla jr. What if they were to take that concept and apply it to an anime. Have a kid who does befriend Godzilla's kin the past, Godzilla died in the recent movie, the kid could communicate and become Godzilla's moral concept. That's just for starters, you could easily develop the plot around suddenly several monsters becoming active, the military attempting to capture the kid to control Godzilla for world conquest, and the cause of the monsters being an ancient species of dinosaur that had evolved and not died out, but only resurfaced recently thanks to radiation poisoning their hidden civilization. If American can turn a crappy Hollywood movie into a decent cartoon in the spirit of Godzilla, then Japan should be able to do something way more awesome.

Again, Toho just likes to hide in their safety zone and stick with the usual stuff. They don't like to try new things, which is kinda annoying. :evil:

Hah, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :P

Not the best idea when it comes to movies. I've noticed that most of the monster designs in Godzilla despite being movie budget quality, don't look all that great. I keep looking back to Super Human Samurai, the one show that had monsters that actualy made my mouth drop ...well cept the robotic things, they were silly looking, and yet Godzilla monsters and human weapons in the movies still look pretty lame in comparison. They just aren't as detailed as say the Dark Hero costumes. I think we've only had 3 or 4 monsters in the last 2 decades that actualy looked incredible cool. Monster X (Horrible second form) Destroyah was decent (lame name though), the Gigan Remodeled costume, Biollanta (as well as being in my favorite godzilla movie aside from the classic original), and spacegodzilla was a cool redesign of godzilla with the exception of his childbirth hips.

Hah, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :P

Not the best idea when it comes to movies. I've noticed that most of the monster designs in Godzilla despite being movie budget quality, don't look all that great. I keep looking back to Super Human Samurai, the one show that had monsters that actualy made my mouth drop ...well cept the robotic things, they were silly looking, and yet Godzilla monsters and human weapons in the movies still look pretty lame in comparison. They just aren't as detailed as say the Dark Hero costumes. I think we've only had 3 or 4 monsters in the last 2 decades that actualy looked incredible cool. Monster X (Horrible second form) Destroyah was decent (lame name though), the Gigan Remodeled costume, Biollanta (as well as being in my favorite godzilla movie aside from the classic original), and spacegodzilla was a cool redesign of godzilla with the exception of his childbirth hips.

Gah, how could you forget Kiryu, GMK Baragon, GMK Godzilla, and Megaguirus? :cry:

Plus, the Destoroyah (final form) costume was one of Toho's best designs and the name wasn't lame and it fits it very well. Dessy was a destructive kaiju, it killed quite a few people, wreaked havoc on Tokyo, killed Junior, and was beating the crap out of Godzilla for a while. I'd say that Dessy deserves it's name, besides I'd doubt anybody could come up with a better name for it. If Satan was a kaiju, he would look like Destoroyah. Which oddly enough, Satan was originally suppose to appear in a Godzilla movie. <.<

Sigh, I am also getting annoyed and a bit saddened that I haven't had time to work on my Godzilla-Guyver fanfic.

Edited by Purgstall

Im glad lot of people here love godzilla but i dont understand this hate for the Millenium series , it was prety decent for me and the monster designs were cool too , Final wars although it wasnt that great it was at least decent and thats good enough for me , Gigan's design is by far one of the best and it really looks evil , i really dont like King Gidorah , sure is a 3 headed dragon but it just does not appeal to me much even if i do love dragons i dont like 3 headed dragons, Godzilla Looked Badass and is by far final wars godzilla is my favorite design out of all of his designs , i do love The first godzilla movies a lot and love them more than the recent ones ,specially Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (my very first Godzilla movie) if they do make an animated series they better have a good writer to make it , also GOOD actors , non of those overacting people from the movies and PLEASE if they put american actors they better have some emotions and attitude , all of the american godzilla actors i have seen have little to know emotion as if they dont want to act or something .

not to mention classically miss-aligned dubbing. Even Jurassic park made fun of that in the first sequel.

A T-Rex in Jurassic park two enters the scene as it stomps down the middle of the street. As people start running away in horror, two Japanese men stop and point at it and mutter frantically. The translation was "We left Japan to get away from this kind of thing!"

As for destroyah well I hate the name because of the way it's spelled. There is no reason to simply spell it the correct way, I just dislike the name because of the dumbing down of English. I do however like the concept of a monster name "Destroyer".

Oh and nothing beats the original Godzilla, it's one of the best horror movies ever, and even today it hold up better in special effects then most of the Godzilla movies.

I'm sorry about some of the other monsters left out, I can't always remember the names and thus I forget. But am I the only one who finds all of the monster counter vehicles to be sorely lacking in coolness. The closest one to being cool was Jet, and even then it looked horrible by today's standards. But as much as I want to hate some of the monsters and their costumes for being so cheesy and uncool... I just love the whole thing regardless. My love for Godzilla just overrides most of the bad.

as for my critic of monsters, if TV shows can produce monsters liek this, then a Godzilla mvoie should do way better. I'm spoiled, sue me.

05wr102.jpg

Edited by V Guyver

Guest DekaRed

actually, (and please correct me if i'm wrong) if that isn't an ultraman monster, then we should also look at them, they are pretty good, and they are done on a tv-show budget. toho should be ashamed of themselves, lol

nope, not an ultraman monster, though close. Since it came from the same studio. This is actually a Gridman monster, the actual costume was much cooler.

I'm just pointing out that it took nearly a decade after TV show monsters like this were around and before Toho started to invest more production value into the actual monsters.

955951e7-s.jpg

iw ant a new godzilla movie or anime would be cool they can do it :D ive seen alot of crazt monster animes and godzilla is the best of everything

he is the king of the monsters lol

As for destroyah well I hate the name because of the way it's spelled. There is no reason to simply spell it the correct way, I just dislike the name because of the dumbing down of English. I do however like the concept of a monster name "Destroyer".

Toho couldn't copyright the name "Destroyer" for some reason so they tried getting a name as close to it as possible.

Im glad lot of people here love godzilla but i dont understand this hate for the Millenium series , it was prety decent for me and the monster designs were cool too , Final wars although it wasnt that great it was at least decent and thats good enough for me , Gigan's design is by far one of the best and it really looks evil , i really dont like King Gidorah , sure is a 3 headed dragon but it just does not appeal to me much even if i do love dragons i dont like 3 headed dragons, Godzilla Looked Badass and is by far final wars godzilla is my favorite design out of all of his designs ,

Well, the Millenium series kinda redos Godzilla's history over and over again. The only Millenium movies that are actually connected to each other are the two Kiryu films. Most of the Millenium films are boring *Glares at Godzilla 2000, GXMG, and GMMG*. To continue on with G2K, the Orga suit was bland and the G2K suit's face looked terrible at certain angles. That problem would carry onto the other Millenium films by Masaaki Tezuka. Megaguirus, dispite the rediculous plot with a black hole cannon (though I do admit that it is pretty cool and most G fans shouldn't be complaining since they're watching a movie about a giant radioactive dinosaur) is a pretty fun movie. Final Wars isn't that great of a film. Godzilla is only in the film for like 12 minutes out of a two hour film and he takes out most of the monsters with ease. They didn't really let us enjoy the ass-kicking. Isn't that sad? I personally didn't like the GFW suit for Godzilla.

GMK is easily the best of the Millenium series, Godzilla is one evil bastard in the movie, Baragon looks great and the fight between him and Godzilla was absolutely fantastic. Ghidorah, some didn't like the design of him (I admit that I didn't care for it too much) and some people didn't like this because they made him a good guy instead of a villain. But what the fans usually forget about is that they used Mecha-King Ghidorah to stop Godzilla from destroying Japan. So technically MKG is a good guy, and let's not forget that most of Godzilla's opponents and Godzilla himself have started out as bad guys and ended up being good guys. Mothra was okay, especially since the twin fairy girls weren't in it (you do see two twins make a brief cameo but no speaking lines).

Edited by Purgstall

Ghidorah was always a cool design. It's just that over the years they didn't do squat with his design and didn't improve anything. I think he was at his best when he had the golden color scheme and Mech-King Ghidorah.

All the monsters in the series border on being good and evil. In truth they all cause meaningless destruction of cities, weather purposely or not, and thus all of them can be considered a menace to all human life on earth. Toho tried to redeem the monsters with alien invader plots (please Toho, you've had how many alien invasions plots already?) and the occasional greater evil between monsters with the idea around "Yeah, Godzilla kills and destroys, but he only targets the military and Tokyo in his rampages, this monster's willing to destroy half Japan. Let's help Godzilla beat it!" or "We can probably kill Godzilla down the road, but this monster's even more dangerous then him. We'd better help Godzilla kill it because otherwise we'd have a harder time in the future killing it instead of Godzilla."

At this point, all three plots have been done to death. As much as I love Godzilla, the recent movies have begone to show their plots age by recycling the same human perspective of the monsters. At this point, they may as well have a giant rapping monster that is played by Jimmie Walker just to keep it from becoming stale. :P

But thanks to Hollywood's 1998 Godzilla wreck, I'm pretty sure no one in Toho would give even a second though to approving any radical redesigns or new plots to the series. Damn you Worm Guy and that blasted Mutant Iguana...

Ghidorah was always a cool design. It's just that over the years they didn't do squat with his design and didn't improve anything. I think he was at his best when he had the golden color scheme and Mech-King Ghidorah.

Have you not seen Desghidorah or Grand King Ghidorah? I'd say they did some changes with the design and Desghidorah was definitely an improvement. But unfortunately, Kaiser Ghidorah sucked balls.

But thanks to Hollywood's 1998 Godzilla wreck, I'm pretty sure no one in Toho would give even a second though to approving any radical redesigns or new plots to the series. Damn you Worm Guy and that blasted Mutant Iguana...

Yeah, pretty much. Emmerich and Devlin pretty much destroyed the Godzilla series. Way to go.

Grand King Ghidorah is the golden one I was talking abut, just didn't remember the name. Come to think about it, Mech-King Ghidorah isn't as great as I remembered him to be. Man, child perception can be warped with times. Perhaps it was the concept that I loved more then the outfit. Looking at an image of Desghidorah, yeah it's cool, but the gold color just made him so much more cool. I can't place my finger on it, but when you see a villain in gold, it usually implies power, nobility, and utter arrogance, as well as a bit of majestic awareness. As a result, I find a gold Ghidorah to be my favorite incarnation of the monster.

Out of all the monsters in Toho, Ghidorah is the only one I feel that should be switched over to CG costume hybrid. The heads never look fluid or realistic enough, a CG combination like they did with the actor playing Davy Jones would do wonders for the characters presentation as the ultimate Godzilla monster. Actually, all the monsters should have a bit of CG fusion, not just the glows and attacks, literally CG versions of the costume. I know exactly what they can do from a directors and FX teams position. You don't really need costumes at all either, you can a person walking around in a green suit that has trackers. Then overlay it with CG, and from their you have a much more fluid monster.

I wonder if I should consult with my friend Danny about him filming such a project.

Grand King Ghidorah is the golden one I was talking abut, just didn't remember the name. Come to think about it, Mech-King Ghidorah isn't as great as I remembered him to be. Man, child perception can be warped with times. Perhaps it was the concept that I loved more then the outfit. Looking at an image of Desghidorah, yeah it's cool, but the gold color just made him so much more cool. I can't place my finger on it, but when you see a villain in gold, it usually implies power, nobility, and utter arrogance, as well as a bit of majestic awareness. As a result, I find a gold Ghidorah to be my favorite incarnation of the monster.

As much as I do like King Ghidorah, I also like Desghidorah. For those who don't know, Des means Death in German and the name suits him. Desghidorah sucks the life out of trees and other organisms (but he prefers trees since they live for a long time), he also has a very demonic design which obviously suggests that he is evil. The fact that he killed the Heisei Mothra would be a good example of his evil.

Out of all the monsters in Toho, Ghidorah is the only one I feel that should be switched over to CG costume hybrid. The heads never look fluid or realistic enough, a CG combination like they did with the actor playing Davy Jones would do wonders for the characters presentation as the ultimate Godzilla monster. Actually, all the monsters should have a bit of CG fusion, not just the glows and attacks, literally CG versions of the costume. I know exactly what they can do from a directors and FX teams position. You don't really need costumes at all either, you can a person walking around in a green suit that has trackers. Then overlay it with CG, and from their you have a much more fluid monster.

Well for one, KG isn't the ultimate Godzilla monster. There are kaiju with better designs and ones that are way stronger than King Ghidorah. KG probably just has the title of being Godzilla's rival and that's stretching it as Godzilla has fought Mechagodzilla and Mothra multiple times. I personally prefer using suits and only using CGI for necessary scenes. It's a tradition and the Japanese are kinda dedicated to tradition. They'll keep using the suits and they'll keep making miniature sets because they are dedicated to the tradition and I honestly respect them for it. And besides, Toho doesn't put in a whole lot of money for Godzilla movies, so I'd doubt you'd see something like that. We did see a brief appearance of a CGI Godzilla in Always 2. You can find the scene on youtube. At most, we'll only see a brief scene of a monster in CGI.

Yeah, I had seen that clip, as well as the zilla (CG monster) fight with Godzilla. Tradition wise, yeah I can see it that way, but Japan is also a country that has mastered how to reinvent and redesign things. As for low budget, yes you could make a godzilla quality film with just a couple of mil invested. But computer generated characters and special effects aren't as expensive or difficult to create these days. Eventually Toho's going to have to switch over weather they like it or not, because they risk killing the franchise and loosing money from standing still instead of moving forward.

I've seen one guy work for 4-5 years on his own mostly with the occasional help from a friend and with only 10,000 bucks create a very cool and short CGI movie. (v=NWBKSO4DvWk&feature=related)

A small production team can easily do the same with a decent budget. Also it doesn't have to be entirely CD, just sections of the costume. The problem with monsters with extra appendages is that none of them move naturally, so if you where to have a human in the main costume, but extra limbs for complex actions can be CGI.

We'll see how things turn out. I feel that they'll finally start to change things within around 3 or 4 years, because Godzilla has never been strong in plot, just the monsters. If the monsters no longer hold up to the test of time because of methods then it will have to change.

i read something in a video game mag that Godzilla would appear again for its 60th anniversary 2014 for a new film.

It was in egm !_!

it makes sense to make a film after 60's years. That or limited edition memorabilia. Remember Godzilla 1984? That's a cool 40 year hallmark right there. Some good quality work in that movie even though it's far from being a favorite.

Edited by V Guyver

it makes sense to make a film after 60's years. That or limited edition memorabilia. Remember Godzilla 1984? That's a cool 40 year hallmark right there. Some good quality work in that movie even though it's far from being a favorite.

You mean 30 year hallmark. Gojira came out in 1954, Return of Godzilla came out in 1984. Shogo Tomiyama said that they were planning on putting Godzilla on hiatus for a while after Final Wars. They said to don't expect anymore Godzilla films til 2013 or 2014.

Shogo Tomiyama said that they were planning on putting Godzilla on hiatus for a while after Final Wars. They said to don't expect anymore Godzilla films til 2013 or 2014.

They should make one slightly sooner.

"They said the world would end in 2012.

It might.

GODZILLA: ARMAGEDDON"

An athlete who'd eventually become a member of my all-time favorite baseball team appeared in a Godzilla movie.

An athlete who'd eventually become a member of my all-time favorite baseball team appeared in a Godzilla movie.

Lemme guess, Hideki Matsui in Godzilla X Mechagodzilla (or Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla as it's called in the US)?

OH YEAH!!! I'm a lifelong New York Yankees fan and so I flipped when I saw him. I even text my dad about it when I saw it last May.