Sign in to follow this  
Toku Warrior

Anime you are currently watching and/or Downloading

Found a very odd piece that seems right up my street.

Dinosaur Great War Izenborg

Attack-Of-The-Super-Monsters.jpg

Part of a trilogy of series that, that are linked by theme and nothing else, this series is a combination of animation and live action suit work that plays out like a cross between Ultraman, Atragon, Mazinger Z and the Wonder Twins with Dinosaurs!

The first series, Dinosaur Expedition Born Free was a series about people exploring a dinosaur world that involved a combination of 70's tv anime and live action dinosaur puppets, models and backgrounds. Which all makes for a very unusual viewing from the little I've seen. A film version was created by cutting up 4 episodes and was released as "Return of the Dinosaurs" un America.

latest?cb=20170129224314

Izenborg was the second and currently the only one with an English sub I could find. However it to got the cut and paste movie treatment and became "Attack of the Super Monsters".

Basic premise is that Dinosaurs, lead by Dinosaur King Ururu, have been living underground and now rise to the surface to retake the world. The heroes of the story are D-Force, with the main characters being Ai and Zen. These twins suffered a near fatal accident testing out the tank that was a proto-type for the series main ship, the Izenborg, and get rebuilt as cyborgs. The pair's original ability was to perform a combination/power exchange ability, were Zen would get all the human parts and pilot the ship, Izenborg Man,  while Ai would gain all the machine parts and become the ships main computer system. The main villain Ururu's suit is the Tyrannosaur suit from The Last Dinosaur with a few modifications.

the_last_dinosaur_19772.jpgC9X-MHCVYAAlTTJ.jpg

While I've tried not to spoil to much until I see this proper, apparently the twins gain an Ultraman like form but it's not till about 20 episodes in.

The final of the trilogy was Dinosaur Squadron Koseidon, which involved going back in time to fight dinosaurs. Unlike the other two, this was all live action. The Last Dinosaur T. rex was back again here but without the red eyes and now sporting white markings on his head.

latest?cb=20160918050121

Apparently China was working on a full movie remake of this series last year but apart from some promotional art I was unable to find any info.

On a side not these series seem to have a reputation for going the extra mile on the violence.

Edited by The Shape
  • Like 1

Currently watching Goshogun

goshogun_hd.jpg?w=800

Got this by chance, although it's name was on my list. Unlike a lot of the other shows I've got, I know practically nothing about Goshogun as I didn't do any research on it befor hand. 

This came out the year after Ideon and despite only being one episode in the show feels odd. While it's clearly styled after 70's Super Robot shows, it's story telling is a bit more advanced. For example, our human villains actually get involved in conflicts and politics to further their agenda and make money, such as assisting in wars, assassinating government leaders to be replaced with agents and brutal takeovers of resources such as a dimond industry in Africa. It's not gone into great detail but it's pretty refreshing to see were the bad guys get the resources to support their production of lightsabre wielding, robot foot soldiers and giant mechs. Hell even their reason to go after the heroes is actually more logical, they are after experimental teleportation technology which would be a hug boon to their operations. 

The show currently feels a bit odd as it blends light comedy moments, such as a over bearing robot teacher and villains reacting comically when a grenade is throne in his hand, with some very dark scenes involving assassination, terrorism, mass-murder and self sacrifice vie an exploding briefcase. While older shows did have this blend of the comedic and the dark, because this series has a more developed story, the contrast stands out more, at least to me.

Goshogun is a pretty cool looking robot with its whole design haveing a very super sentai/power rangers feel. So far it's weapons include eye lasers, missiles and a halberd like weapon. However the way it works is convoluted even by Super Robot standards. It's powered by Beamler Energy, a super, do anything, energy in same vain as Photo Energy, Getter Rays etc. However unlike it's predecessors were are not given an explanation as to what Beamler Energy is, given the shows impressive start I'm hoping this is a plot thread that will be developed rather then just"it's a thing and it just works". Were the convoluted part comes from is that this Goshogun clearly takes inspiration from Getter Robo and Gaiking... but utilises aspects of those robots in an odd way. Ok so Getter is formed by three jets that fuse into a robot, Gaiking is a created from parts stored inside a mobile carrier (it's torso being the carriers head), now Goshogun is a fully built robot stored inside a carrier along with three jets. The jets, maned by the robots pilots, then dock inside this fully constructed robots legs and chest. Now I get why this was done, it's to make Goshogun different while also playing on the nostalgia of those older shows, but it really is nonsensical.

Character wise we haven't had much time to get to know everyone so I cannot comment to much although the whole team seems competent.

So it's off to a very intreasting start.

Edited by Deus Machina Menagerie
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 3:37 AM, Deus Machina Menagerie said:

Currently watching Goshogun

goshogun_hd.jpg?w=800

Got this by chance, although it's name was on my list. Unlike a lot of the other shows I've got, I know practically nothing about Goshogun as I didn't do any research on it befor hand. 

This came out the year after Ideon and despite only being one episode in the show feels odd. While it's clearly styled after 70's Super Robot shows, it's story telling is a bit more advanced. For example, our human villains actually get involved in conflicts and politics to further their agenda and make money, such as assisting in wars, assassinating government leaders to be replaced with agents and brutal takeovers of resources such as a dimond industry in Africa. It's not gone into great detail but it's pretty refreshing to see were the bad guys get the resources to support their production of lightsabre wielding, robot foot soldiers and giant mechs. Hell even their reason to go after the heroes is actually more logical, they are after experimental teleportation technology which would be a hug boon to their operations. 

The show currently feels a bit odd as it blends light comedy moments, such as a over bearing robot teacher and villains reacting comically when a grenade is throne in his hand, with some very dark scenes involving assassination, terrorism, mass-murder and self sacrifice vie an exploding briefcase. While older shows did have this blend of the comedic and the dark, because this series has a more developed story, the contrast stands out more, at least to me.

Goshogun is a pretty cool looking robot with its whole design haveing a very super sentai/power rangers feel. So far it's weapons include eye lasers, missiles and a halberd like weapon. However the way it works is convoluted even by Super Robot standards. It's powered by Beamler Energy, a super, do anything, energy in same vain as Photo Energy, Getter Rays etc. However unlike it's predecessors were are not given an explanation as to what Beamler Energy is, given the shows impressive start I'm hoping this is a plot thread that will be developed rather then just"it's a thing and it just works". Were the convoluted part comes from is that this Goshogun clearly takes inspiration from Getter Robo and Gaiking... but utilises aspects of those robots in an odd way. Ok so Getter is formed by three jets that fuse into a robot, Gaiking is a created from parts stored inside a mobile carrier (it's torso being the carriers head), now Goshogun is a fully built robot stored inside a carrier along with three jets. The jets, maned by the robots pilots, then dock inside this fully constructed robots legs and chest. Now I get why this was done, it's to make Goshogun different while also playing on the nostalgia of those older shows, but it really is nonsensical.

Character wise we haven't had much time to get to know everyone so I cannot comment to much although the whole team seems competent.

So it's off to a very intreasting start.

It's funny, my only experience with Goshogun was its sequel movie The Time Etranger... Which was at my local video store. It's a "terrible movie" simply because there was no context to the characters or mecha, since an entire series existed before it that. And it really required seeing the series beforehand. I only rented it because the mecha was on the cover, and even then it doesn't even appear in the movie.

Just had a jaw dropping event...

81d3zJQ2VZL._SY550_.jpg

For those who don't know this is Majuu Sensen Apocalipse, a sequel to the original manga and ova series Majuu Sensen.

"A secret society of scientists seek to create advanced humanoid lifeforms through the hybrid of man and beast for their almighty Lord Yeshu and the new world that is nigh. When young Shin'ichi Kuruma is pulled into this inhuman pursuit and loses everything, his path of bloody vengence leads him into the depths of a conspiracy greater than he could ever imagine."

You can find the manga online and the ova's had a laserdisc release way back when or so I hear, although I've seen some releases online over the years. Pretty intreasting series all in all, the jaw dropping part is that I never thought I'd see the day when Majuu Sensen got any kind of new release.

This is from Discotek Media, who've also put out new release of the original Devilman ova's, Testujin 28-go and Godmars. I was looking them up because their who I got Goshogun from. But my jaw nearly dislocated when I saw what they have coming up!

Psycho Armor Govarian

18909250%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

This is an 80's series created by Go Nagai, one of a small few he did after leaving Toei. There was little info on this series until recently, likely due to this  this up coming release. By little I mean even Groizer X, the blandest of all Nagai's robot shows, had a bigger wiki page then Govarian. So seeing this series get an offical release of any kind was borderline impossible... but here it is!

So plot wise, well there still little to go one but it's described as a blend of Mazinger Z and Gundam with psychic powers thrown in. It was basically Nagai's stab at a more real robot style work in the wave of Gundam and Ideon. 

T"he Garadain Empire has exhausted the primary resources of their native planet, so they send different space expeditions to find a new world where to live. One of their main objectives is planet Earth. However, Zeku Alba, an alien scientist, decides to rebel against the imperial rule and flees towards the Earth, where he gathers a group of youngs gifted with the power of "psychogenesis", an ability that consists in creating solid matter from mental energy.

The most gifted of the squadron is Isamu, a young orphan whose family was killed in the first attack of the Garadain Empire. He is able to generate the powerful robot Govarian, an armor with which he can battle the alien monsters and is able to regenerate thanks to the psychic energy of the pilot. Helped by two other robots created by his teammates, Isamu, aboard the robot Govarian, defends the Earth in the long war against the alien invaders"

Govarian from what little I know uses a combination of psychic attacks and conventional weapons, which sets it apart from most of it's sibling series. Also it's the second smallest of all the Nagai Mechs at 13 meters tall, with only Steel Jeeg being smaller, at about 10 - 11 metes tall.

Edit: Just found this while hunting for info...

Edited by Deus Machina Menagerie

5 hours ago, Matt Bellamy said:

It's funny, my only experience with Goshogun was its sequel movie The Time Etranger... Which was at my local video store. It's a "terrible movie" simply because there was no context to the characters or mecha, since an entire series existed before it that. And it really required seeing the series beforehand. I only rented it because the mecha was on the cover, and even then it doesn't even appear in the movie.

I was lucky, I found both at the same time and dodged that miss hap. There's nothing worse then watching stuff out of context, ironic because thats how I first started watching Guyver. My parents got me OVA 3 first of all... a very, very confusing place to jump in.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:56 AM, Deus Machina Menagerie said:

Psycho Armor Govarian

18909250%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

This is an 80's series created by Go Nagai, one of a small few he did after leaving Toei. There was little info on this series until recently, likely due to this  this up coming release. By little I mean even Groizer X, the blandest of all Nagai's robot shows, had a bigger wiki page then Govarian. So seeing this series get an offical release of any kind was borderline impossible... but here it is!

So plot wise, well there still little to go one but it's described as a blend of Mazinger Z and Gundam with psychic powers thrown in. It was basically Nagai's stab at a more real robot style work in the wave of Gundam and Ideon. 

T"he Garadain Empire has exhausted the primary resources of their native planet, so they send different space expeditions to find a new world where to live. One of their main objectives is planet Earth. However, Zeku Alba, an alien scientist, decides to rebel against the imperial rule and flees towards the Earth, where he gathers a group of youngs gifted with the power of "psychogenesis", an ability that consists in creating solid matter from mental energy.

The most gifted of the squadron is Isamu, a young orphan whose family was killed in the first attack of the Garadain Empire. He is able to generate the powerful robot Govarian, an armor with which he can battle the alien monsters and is able to regenerate thanks to the psychic energy of the pilot. Helped by two other robots created by his teammates, Isamu, aboard the robot Govarian, defends the Earth in the long war against the alien invaders"

Govarian from what little I know uses a combination of psychic attacks and conventional weapons, which sets it apart from most of it's sibling series. Also it's the second smallest of all the Nagai Mechs at 13 meters tall, with only Steel Jeeg being smaller, at about 10 - 11 metes tall.

Edit: Just found this while hunting for info...

One really can't help but notice how similar the design is to Mazinger.  It can't be help this is Go Nagai after all.  Beside, Melia looks hot.

Burned through quite a lot lately. 

Gunbuster

184582.jpg

An OVA series from 1988. This series is a mixed bag, on the one hand you've got good characters, amazing animation, a kick-ass mecha and the general premise and ideas are all good. The problem I had with Gunbuster is that it didn't use it's time as well as it could have. The first 3 OVAs, in which the title mech doesn't appear, are well paced and allow the story to progress naturally but once we get Number 4 it feels like the staff suddenly realised they only had another 3 OVAs left and put things into overdrive. The plot is now moving way too fast and while the show still looks great and has great ideas, this comes at the cost of it's narrative with a lot going un explained and character development feeling disjoined. This isn't really a spoiler per say but unless I missed something Gunbuster is never explained, in a space opera themed anime that has only displayed real robot style mechs Gunbuster feels very out of place since, while it's based on it's smaller counterparts, we are never told how a how humanity reacted a Super Robot more powerful then their huge battle ships. I'm all for "Less is More" but here it just creates confusion for me. The enemy of the series suffers to. They are built up wonderfully as this cosmic horror style threat and like Gunbuster are not seen properly till OVA 4 but heres the problem, this mysterious enemy appears, by OVA 5 we're info dumped everything about them and by OVA 6 the series is over. This is not a bad series, it's pretty dame good in a lot of ways, but this gem has a lot of cracks in it that hold it back being what could have been a truly legendery anime.

Mazinger Z: Infinity

A20056-525576764.1518194603.jpg

This is just a fun movie through and through, a giant love letter to 70's robot series and there fans. The film is set after the events if the original Mazinger Z and Great Mazinger series (no mention of Grendizer)with the world moving towards a bright future thanks to the Photon energy and technology, however the discovery of a colossal mazinger like robot and the return of Dr. Hell threaten the peace our heroes fought so hard for. The best part about this film are it's characters and it's action scenes. We get to see who all of the caste have grown up and moved on from the older series and how the events of the film change them further. A mixed part of the film is it's general plot, it's relatively simple not unlike the original series and thats not a bad thing and it dose try to work in some deep ideas here which are all good but there are still some issues I have. Everything around the new mecha, Mazinger Infinity, feels convoluted and the big guy comes of a just a McGuffin to get the plot rolling, made worse by the fact that it barely dose anything even if the final act despite being the hub this story revolves around. A new character introduced into the film who is connected to Infinity has a lot of the same problems. The real shame is the villains, this film has easily some of the weakest portrayals of Dr. Hell, Baron Ashura and Count Brocken in the franchise, possible the weakest. It's is NEVER explained just how these guys are still alive when they were all conclusively killed during the course of Mazinger z and Great Mazinger. Dr. Hell is the one most in focus here but it's a pretty bland portrayal besides one conversation he has with Koji, than his fight with Mazinger Z is the exact oppasite, easily one of the films highlights, and he even uses his Great Marshall of Hell body as his mecha. Brocken likewise is just going though his motions here including his now obligatory comedic scene. The real shame though is Baron Ashura, easily the best villains of the original series (or any 70's mecha show for that matter) it was it's character and relationships with the other villains that helped make the Mazinger Z Villains so memorable even to this day. Here Ashura is relegated to Mini-boss only appearing on screen in-person once and never engaging in any meaningful dialog with anyone.

All that aside this is a really, really fun film which has flaws but is well worth a watch.

Cross Ange

c5daeb50-e7c2-49c9-9a6a-0e77f6b1ac98?bas

Talked about this one befor but I know have it on DVD. I became interested in this series though Super Robot Wars V. This show is intreasting but suffers from trying to be two very different things at the same time. On the one hand you have you have a very dark, sci-fi/fantasy series which puts it's main protagonist through hell, a good if imperfect story and a lot of good ideas and then you have the other half which is borderline, heavily censored hentai which can clash badly in those moments where the darker themes of the story overlap with it. This is a real shame because outside is this the series is pretty ok with the majority of the caste being likeable and intreasting. Mecha wise we have the Para-mails, real robot style mechs that switch between air bike and robot mode which are used to fight dragons. This is done using 3-d animation which I found enjoyable enough although I hear it's not as good as some Gundam shows. It's not the best of Mecha anime but it's far from the worst. 

I should point out that Cross Ange is an exception to my collection rule. I collect Giant Robot series but now and again the odd real style mecha series catch's my eye. So far these have all be fantasy/sci-fi series with Cross, Escaflowna and despite my collections Gundam Ban I have recently ordered Gundams sister series Aura Battler Dunbine for the same reason.

dunbine.jpg

I'm just about to watch Super Beast Machine God Dancouga.

3661435211_b121317767_b.jpg

Word of advice. Don’t watch Dancouga if you suffer from epilepsy. I don’t and some of the animation in the first few episodes was a bit hard to watch.

Ok I hit a vain of pure super robot gold today.

I thought I knew every single 70's and early 80's Robot Go Nagai created. Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger, UFO Robot Grendizer, Steel Jeeg, Groizer X, God Mazinger and Govarian.

Getter Robo and Getter Robo G he co-created and Gaiking was his original idea that Toei stole from him. But it terns out this is one more, one I'd never even heard of. This mech didn't even make it into the old Dynamic Robot Shorts from years back, which had Govarian and Groizer X. I only found out about this one via some fan artwork.

Magner Robo Ga-Keen

0cd479edbcd947a4284848e6ef8ea84d.jpg

gakeen_plyzer_mighty_by_shark78-dboau8d.

GA-KEEN-extra-big-3106-589.jpg

Plot Info: Ga · Keen (ガ · キ ー ン, Hepburn: Ga-Kīn; Gathering Keen) is the modular robot designed and built by Dr. Mamoru Kazuki, who years ago had predicted the attack of the aliens of the Izar Planet. His studies on magnetism led him to discover that both Takeru Hōjō and his daughter Mai are endowed with a high positive and negative magnetic power. Thanks to the system that manages to develop this power, the two youngsters manage to transform themselves into Magneman Plus, Magneman Minus and pilot the Prizer and Mighty robots. Jumping from the cars of their automata, Takeru and Mai give life to the operation "Sweet Cross", where the meeting of their positive and negative energy cancel each other becoming one thing. This is how the Ga · Keen belt is formed, which together with the components launched by God Freedom give life to the robot. The dominant part of the two energy is definitely that of Takeru, thus allowing the Ga · Keen to exploit the skills in combat of the young. The robot is also equipped with an armament that gradually becomes wider and more powerful. The only weak point of the super robot is the ankles. In fact, in order to improve their running speed, these are narrower and when overheated they overheat. However, this small defect can be eliminated thanks to the huge wheels that protrude from the thighs of the robot.

So yeah this mecha is easily the weirdest of the lot by a country mile. It's like some demented cross between all Nagai's rejected ideas for his other bots. It's powers are magnetic based and is formed from multiple parts like Jeeg, only it's a dame sight bigger at 50 meters tall, but instead of coming from a magic bell it comes from two humans who have special magnetic powers. These two people pilot smaller mechs, but jump out of them and combine to make those two small red orbs in the centre of it's abdomen... somehow Dinosaur Wars Izenborg is looking more realistic. Said smaller mechs can latch into Ga-Keen's arms to become guns, not unlike the stuff that would happen in the future Brave franchise. Most of it's on-board weapons are melee with things like the Counter Knife blades one it's hands and the Shark Foot Blade in it's heel, although it dose have one onboard ranged weapon the Miracle Rainbow which is rainbow beam shot from it's face grill. Also as you can see above it's got weak lower legs and has wheels that pop out of it's knees. Apparently they just kept adding stuff to it as the series when on.

It's enemies are a race of ocean themed aliens that create Synthetic Beast from the DNA of earth creatures.

I've found 7 episodes with subs online.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:39 PM, Govarian said:

Word of advice. Don’t watch Dancouga if you suffer from epilepsy. I don’t and some of the animation in the first few episodes was a bit hard to watch.

Hahaha.  I applaud you for being able to sit through the whole series.  When I watched it a few years back I was like, when the hell are they going to form Dancougar.  Love the opening theme though.  Sadly, the OVA suffered heavily quality wise.  You can actually see the unfinished animated cells in some few scenes.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, durendal said:

Hahaha.  I applaud you for being able to sit through the whole series.  When I watched it a few years back I was like, when the hell are they going to form Dancougar.  Love the opening theme though.  Sadly, the OVA suffered heavily quality wise.  You can actually see the unfinished animated cells in some few scenes.

Actually I rather liked it. It's a better blend of real and giant robot themes then some stuff I've watched and I actually liked that it took it's time. It's nice to see the lesser mechs have a function beyond just building the big robot as well as Dancouger's theme of the robot being more then then the sum of it's parts, what with three of the 4 mechs amounting to a pair of shoes and a new head.

The only real disappointment for me was the mechs humanoid modes. They really served little purpose despite being built up as more powerful then the beast modes, despite often performing less effectively and used rarely. The only one that was good was Mammoth, partly because the pilot used his master of martial arts to turn the Tank Class robot into an affective warrior. 

Which OVA do you mean the true ending, the God Bless one or the epilogue one?

Edited by Govarian

I'm not entirely sure since this was decades ago, but I think this was God Bless Dacougar.  The one where they train new recruits, and when the original team had to sortie, they made the new recruits jaw drop due to their insane response time.  There was apparent lack of QC since you can literally see the unpainted animation cell at the bottom while the movie was playing.  

I guess you can blame my opinion on Dancougar due to me learning about them from Super Robot War games.  In the games, the strongest weapon was the "Dan Ku Kou Ga Ken" and "Dan Ku Hou Formation", so you really can't blame me for looking forward to actually seeing these in their animation glory.  

Currently watching the 5-episode "Master of martial hearts"; finale tonight. It's pretty weird; on the one end it's an ecchi girl-fights-girl-in-a-tournament-for-a-supreme-prize show, on the other hand it has an incredibly sinister undertone, like it's a vicious parody of rather grubby genre.

(edit:) Yep. God, that was dark. Dark as Hell. Don't think I've ever seen a story where everybody including the protagonist turns out to be a monster.

Edited by Salkafar

Just finished watching Gundam Narrative after binge rewatching Gundam Unicorn.  Impressed with the animation style, but not so much for the story.  I kinda find the story to be shallow in fact.

After a break from mechs I’m back on Dunbine. I stopped only on episode 13 so I have got a loooong way to go.

Posted (edited)

Got to say Dunbine is really starting to sell me on Gundam style shows. I take back everything I said before.

The political drama, more dynamic battles and more grounded stories really are their own flavour of awesome. Stuff like having to find ways to get the mechs repaired after battle while in enemy territory and the threat of new mechs being developed are fun little details you don’t see in most super mechs shows.

Edited by Daitarn 3

While waiting for my next round of Gundam series I decided to break out one of Tomino’s older works. Zambot 3. 

Zambot%20DVD%20Cover-500x500.jpg

The basic plot is that a group of kids are piloting a giant mech left for them by there alien ancestors to fight of the evil gaizok and their “mega-boosters”. What makes Zambot 3 stand out from the crowed is that it’s o e of the first deconstruct of the genre. It shows why it not a good idea to let a bratty pre-teen pilot a giant robot plus all of the conflict has consequences. Cities are destroyed, people are killed and all of it sticks. Nothing gets magically fixed by the next episode. As a result the protagonists become persecuted and blamed for what’s going on. There’s even a pretty dark part we’re the gaizok start turning people into remote control bombs. 

Needless s to say this show was way ahead of its time. 

Lately, I've been rewatching Free! Iwatobi Swim Club with it being summer and the awesome intro/outro.  

Arifureta Shokugyo de Sakei Saikyo. (From commonplace to world's strongest)

Actually started reading the manga a few months ago, and then started reading the web novels when the manga caught up.  Only found out recently that an anime is currently airing.  Another interesting series for me.  What is it with these Isekai series?  These seems to be the constant thing that gets my interest recently.