Sign in to follow this  
durendal

Rising of a Shield Hero

So, anybody following this?  I've known for a long time that this came from a light novel, but actively chose to ignore it as I know I'll love it.   They adopted this into Manga and eventually an anime series was created.  

Well, I'm currently reading the manga and the light novels, but have yet to see the anime.  So far, I liked the first story arc where the main protagonist was treated poorly, that was the fun part.  It started getting predictable when the status of the protagonist started improving.  What do you guys think about this series?

All I know about it is that created a lot of memes involving the tanuki girl.

Im up to date with the anime, i keep toying with the idea of the light novel and i probably will read it when the anime series ends, in a couple of weeks, just like when Overlord series 1 ended!

Its been enjoyable so far, it hasn't opened up to the depths of what i assume the light novel does, but that's not uncommon, only being 22 or so episodes in.

It fits the mmorpg/fantasy trend thats about at the moment, it's spawned some good anime so far.

I will continue to watch and enjoy it, it hasn't been a chore to watch so far.

One thing why I liked this series better than Overlord is that the Light Novel is finished (I think).  While Overlord, we're still stuck on volume 13 waiting for the next volume to come out.  I've started binge watching the anime and saw that they cut out a lot of stuff.  Not critical stuff, but just some stuff giving more details to specific events.  So far I'm up to episode 14 and it's still interesting despite having read beyond the story arc already.

While there are subtle similarities between Overlord and Shield Hero, one that distinguishes them from each other is that Momoga has dumb luck on his side, while Naofumi has the will and right sense in making decisions.  I just hope that this doesn't turn out to be a harem.

• Like 1

I agree, in the Overlord anime, pacing is a bit fast, just to cram key events in before the seasons end. There's plenty of source material to go at, but thats no reason to cram it in.

Shield hero seems to be a bit more steady, not that I've read the light novel yet. I also hope the harem doesn't get any bigger than it is.

Im enjoying both, so long may they continue!

Well, I've finally caught up with the anime and it seems that they are going into the Cal Mira Arc.  That much is obvious seeing L'arc in the opening credits.  But with the limited number of episodes left,  (assuming this is a 26 episode season), I wonder how much they will cram into these last few episodes.  

Another thing that draws me to the anime is that it explains some of the stuff that I glossed over in the Light Novel.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Okay, read up til chapter 263....

it did turn into a harem.  At least Naofumi outright rejects their advances, but still.... Harem! :(

Edited by durendal
Spoiler tags

Its great but cant figure out if hes transported to a fantasy world or stuck in a game as the game like interface sytem makes it look like hes in game but it doesnt feels that way when hes interacting with other characters of that world.

The thing is, he is supposed to be stuck in a fantasy world based on a game.  Motoyasu, Ren and Itsuki have already played a game similar to this prior to their transportation to this world, which is why they have the advantage.  But despite their knowledge, nothing beats the raw hard work that Naofumi put through to improve himself.