Sign in to follow this  
Anxiety

Guyver- Where are we now?

So, I've been a fan of Guyver for probably about 20-odd years, now, ever since I saw the first movie (don't judge me, I was, like, 10), eventually watching the second one and the OVAs etc. etc.

However, I go in and out of phases and recently got back into it and decided to catch up with the manga. I think I last stopped off somewhere in volume 27, shortly after the introduction of Valkyria and Apollyon. I'm curious where we are, not really plot-wise, just logistically. I know there are 32 collected volumes, but where are we chapter-wise? I know there hasn't been an update is something like three years, but what chapter number are we on? Is the last chapter we have the last chapter of Vol. 32?

Finally, I'm interested in all the latest books. I understand the nature of getting the scanlations and have no real problem with it. I already have access through Chapter 187 from elsewhere (but not really access to the $300 needed for all the complete collection, at least not yet)... is that the last chapter of Vol. 30?

Thanks for any information and help. I'm looking forward to discussing the series more, once I'm all caught up. IT's always been one of my favorites, but most people I know don't know about it (or don't care for anime/manga) or just shrug it off as "that Power Rangers-like series" (don't think that's necessarily bad, personally, but that's just me).

Posted (edited)

I believe chapter 187 is midway in volume 30, so there is a little more to read. For me, the plot seemed to pick up some pace a little in volume 30, so theres a few revelations in there. Upto 187 is freely available online, you could just purchase volumes 30, 31 and 32 to get close to the end of what's released, but there would be 2 or 3 months of releases left to read, which are available in the current chapters section, available to those who have most of, or all the books. You can pick up second hand full collections on amazon.co.jp for around the $100 mark, much more reasonable than ebay or buying individually. That would get you you full access to past and current chapters. There are walkthroughs of how to buy through amazon.co.jp online.

Edited by Gazham

I tried that, but amazon.jp said it couldn't ship to my address for some reason. So, I was planning on purchasing 30-32 on cdjapan. May need to look around and see if I can find them cheaper somewhere for the latest chapters...

https://buyee.jp/item/search/query/ガイバー/category/21600?sort=bidorbuy&order=a&buynow=1&translationType=1&page=3

buyee. japanese auctions. can be pretty cheap. just keep your eye on their shipping costs, there are two lots you have to pay for. to them and from them to you. I think.

I second that, buyee is one of the best places. The shipping is expensive for heavy lots, i paid £50 shopping and £25 for books 1 -32.  it will be nearer £100 in the end.

http://buyee.jp/item/search?query=ガイバー&translationType=1&page=1

I search for the key word guyver and sort by most popular/newly listed. Theres often over 10 pages auctions

On 5/5/2019 at 12:00 AM, Anxiety said:

So, I've been a fan of Guyver for probably about 20-odd years, now, ever since I saw the first movie (don't judge me, I was, like, 10), eventually watching the second one and the OVAs etc. etc.

However, I go in and out of phases and recently got back into it and decided to catch up with the manga. I think I last stopped off somewhere in volume 27, shortly after the introduction of Valkyria and Apollyon. I'm curious where we are, not really plot-wise, just logistically. I know there are 32 collected volumes, but where are we chapter-wise? I know there hasn't been an update is something like three years, but what chapter number are we on? Is the last chapter we have the last chapter of Vol. 32?

There are 2 single chapters ( shorter than volume chapters. One is 9 pages, the other is 13 pages.) after book 32 was released.