Sign in to follow this  
Chernaudi

Any World War II era weaponly effective against Zoanoids?

Based on the fact that most modern weapons don't do diddly to most Zoanoids aside from be a minor irritant, I'd think not. 

Some background:  I'm big into World War II era history, and if I'm correct (which I might not be), Chronos, in some form, existed back then.  Just wondering what thoughts or opinions readers might have for if something like X-Day or some Zoanoid uprising happened during World War II.

Well... not all Zoanoids are bulletproof, not against rifle bullets, I should think. The heavier calibre machine guns should be able to injure most Zoanoids less invulnerable than Gregole.

nukes existed in world war 2. I would say job done.

One upside, Hyper Zoanoids were only perfected during the 80s as for as we know. Thats one less thing to worry about 

18 hours ago, Tora Tan said:

nukes existed in world war 2. I would say job done.

Nukes existed in 1945, but they'd probably be ineffective against Hypers (which don't seem to have existed back then) and some of the more powerful basic Zoanoids. 

One thing to consider is that though normally not capable of fully automatic fire like modern infantry assault rifles or battle rifles, WWII era battle rifles (semi auto or bolt action) did usually fire much more powerful ammunition than modern service rifles do.  For instance, rounds like the .30-06 Springfield and 7.62x54mmR are 2-3 times more powerful and have twice the range that say a 5.56x45mm NATO or 7.62x39mm Russian rounds do.

Of course, modern service rifle ammo is designed to deal with human sized targets, including man sized game like deer, rather than genetically enhanced mutated human/alien hybrid monsters.

2 hours ago, Chernaudi said:

Nukes existed in 1945, but they'd probably be ineffective against Hypers (which don't seem to have existed back then) and some of the more powerful basic Zoanoids. 

I don't know about that. I think that any living thing could be killed by radiation poisoning. Just look at what happened with Chernobyl. That was pretty bad. 

Edited by Mercer

I can't see any Zoanoid surviving a nuke. Ramotith type and similar powered Zoanoids would be pretty vulnerable to high calibre machine gun rounds and a well aimed/lucky tank rounds. But getting the chance to make contact is the issue, fast and effective killing machines would make short work of a ww2 battlefield.

12 hours ago, Chernaudi said:

surely you're joking....  a nuke will melt granite. I really can't see any zoanoid surviving that, hyper or otherwise.

31 minutes ago, Tora Tan said:

surely you're joking....  a nuke will melt granite. I really can't see any zoanoid surviving that, hyper or otherwise.

There is only one thing that we have evidence of surviving a nuke.

Can you guess who that silhouette belongs to? :ph34r:

57765866_Book09-18.jpg.b54779bc68246c521f6776b39bbbd987.jpg

• Like 1

I was mostly speaking of man portable weapons.  I guess that we might want to see taking on Zoanoids as like taking on tanks back then.  Granted, we're dealing with flesh and blood, but a lot of Zoanoids were heavily armored or had skin that was difficult to penetrate by normal weapons.  I have little doubt, though that stuff like the M1/M9 Bazooka, the PIAT, and the Panzerfaust and Panzershreck would be effective against them.  Also, unlike tanks, large caliber anti-tank rifles would be effective on them, as well as (though unpleasant to use) rifle grenades.

On 12/30/2018 at 6:10 AM, Matt Bellamy said:

There is only one thing that we have evidence of surviving a nuke.

57765866_Book09-18.jpg.b54779bc68246c521f6776b39bbbd987.jpg

Initially I didn't realize what I was looking at. It took me re-reading it to get the perspective and it hit me that it wasn't just that Zoanoids were capable of surviving nuclear weapons, there was a monster the size of a skyscraper out there.

On 12/29/2018 at 11:10 PM, Matt Bellamy said:

Is that the dragon zoalord that almost absorbed Aptom?

yes I would say that zoalords could survive nukes because they have their barrier don't they.

I was re-reading today and I noticed that zoanoids were probably not around in 1945.  I say this because of how gyuot talks about how the zoanoid development was increasing after japan branch had been successful. it seems to me that zoanoids were not really made properly until the latter part of the 20th century.

Any idea as to when the Japanese Branch of Chronos became successful?  After all, Chronos, in some form, predates World War II by at least a couple hundred years.

Posted (edited)

Genzo makishima boasts about having success with the development of zoanoids. his age... can't be more than 60.  so from 1985 or thereabouts, if we put his birthday around 1925 or later, he could have been 20 years old in 1945. maybe.
it's unlikely he would have been in cronos working on zoanoids before that. I think we can safely guess that moderately successful zoanoids first started to take form in the 60s or 70s. 50s at a real push.  I'm just guessing.

Edited by Tora Tan

so what about the zoalords? balcus was 400+ years old right? so the zoacrystal gives long life the zoalord, but i have to say its from processing. the tech wasnt human, it was of alien origin... so its ok to assume some zoaforming was undertook for a few centuries. perhaps not zoanoid level, but cloning and healing maybe?

I think it was noted somewhere that Barcas was processed relatively recently.  like it was done by A Heckering or something like that.

can you see if you can find that?

cause i dont remember that part, and if its there, i must of missed some majorly important parts, and i no like being ill informed.

also, in the first manga, a grenade damaged a gregore.  a single grenade maynot be able to kill one, but ww2 had other larger explosives that would be more effective. not to mention the rocket launchers and the bazooka's that were already mentioned. 

and that makes me wonder, how effective would a ww2 flamethrower be against a zoanoid? a vamor has a beam of thermal energy as a weapon, and a flamethrower is also thermal energy, just not as hot or as elegant. i do believe it would give a ramotith nightmares cause of all that hair, lol.

4 hours ago, Tora Tan said:

I think it was noted somewhere that Barcas was processed relatively recently.  like it was done by A Heckering or something like that.

No, Barcas was the first and oldest of Archanphel's Zoalords and is over 400 years old.

He was the one that found most of the others, if not all. They confirm at least Waferdanos, Shin (over 370 years old) and Purg'stall (over 215 years old).

7 hours ago, Matt Bellamy said:

No, Barcas was the first and oldest of Archanphel's Zoalords and is over 400 years old.

He was the one that found most of the others, if not all. They confirm at least Waferdanos, Shin (over 370 years old) and Purg'stall (over 215 years old).

But that doesn't mean he was processed 400 years ago. What I was trying to say is that he was turned into a zoalord more recently, but he obviously had the zoacrystal for a lot longer. the zoacrystal will work without a processing tube. it did so on waferdanos.

@Larz Zahn Sorry it's almost bedtime now but I can have a look tomorrow if you like?

Posted (edited)

Ah ok, so I stayed up a bit longer...
I will admit I have no basis for what I have said.  I searched and I found the part that led me to make an assumption. Mr Heckaring assisted in the processing of the 12 zoalords. that is what was said. nothing more though.
We don't know that Barcas wasn't processed 400 years ago. it might explain why his face is messed up and the zoacrystal never goes away. 

The only thing I can imagine is... their processing technology must have only ever been on the cutting edge of what we know for any given time period.  I guess that means that perhaps they had zoanoids as far back as 400 years ago but they may be very crude?  who can say for sure.

Edited by Tora Tan

Well, we are dealing with alien technology/science fiction here.  Barcas and Shin were the first two that we know of that were found.  And the fact they were the first may explain the visible zoacrystal in their human forms. 

And speaking of Genzo, I've wondered how vulnerable he'd be to stuff like firearms.  Not just as Enzyme, but in his human form.  I don't know if he'd be more resilient in his human form after processing.  And we know that his zoanoid form was fairly weakly armored (at least partly on purpose), though he took a ton of damage (especially in the OVA) before he went down for good.  But I suppose that it's like what said in Predator--it if bleeds, we can kill it.

14 hours ago, Tora Tan said:

Ah ok, so I stayed up a bit longer...
I will admit I have no basis for what I have said.  I searched and I found the part that led me to make an assumption. Mr Heckaring assisted in the processing of the 12 zoalords. that is what was said. nothing more though.
We don't know that Barcas wasn't processed 400 years ago. it might explain why his face is messed up and the zoacrystal never goes away. 

The only thing I can imagine is... their processing technology must have only ever been on the cutting edge of what we know for any given time period.  I guess that means that perhaps they had zoanoids as far back as 400 years ago but they may be very crude?  who can say for sure.

I actually forgot about this small part of the story, where Barcas is clearly already changed into a Zoalord and stated to be "420 years ago".

book19-02.thumb.jpg.2f3a193e3f6429ceabe830e2971270cc.jpg

As for whether or not they had Zoanoids right away... It was likely one of the first things they did. If you think about it logically, Archanphel must have made Barcas into a Zoalord on his own, but Barcas is assumed to be left to work alone for some time due to Archanphels condition. The relic ship's memory units would give him a lot of info on how to manufacture zoaforms... but as we know with Guyot, the zoalords weren't likely just "made" and Barcas likely had to practice a lot.

All this being considered however, things like Vamore and other bio-blasters are seemingly "new-ish" (Chronos Japan is said to have developed it, but cannot find when the branches were established) as well as Hyper Zoanoids being even more recent. So the Zoanoids they likely had early on were probably scout/muscle types. And considering World War 2 is basically 50 or so years before the Guyver series starts, I think they would have a bunch around... especially when you consider how long it would take to build these underground bases and whatnot.

So that being said, a lot of the high caliber rifles, tanks and explosives would likely have been able to kill normal Zoanoids. In most cases, unless it was a head shot or a lucky shot, multiple rounds would likely have been required even for the most powerful rifle considering the shear size of a lot of Zoanoids... But do-able for sure. Anything that could piece a metal plate likely stood a chance of doing damage to most Zoanoids, as most basic ones are not well armored and only have touch skin. It's when the hypers start coming that normal high power rifles and explosives have issues with ( as we see from Zeus' Thunderbolt).