Sign in to follow this  
The Shape

Dragon Ball Super Movie - Broly

While I dropped Super quite a long time ago, I'm pretty hyped to see a Dragon Ball movie with animation as elaborate as that trailer makes it out to be. And since it's supposed to have a big backstory for the Saiyans I'm hoping the plot won't be as silly as most other DB movies (with the exception of all this S-Cell business I've been hearing about...)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Salkafar said:

What is even the point of the series. :neutral:

As in why at all or why the series then this movie?

The former, like GT befor it continue the series and make money as far as Toei is concerned.

If its the later this film follows the series. I wont give away the events of the end to the Super anime but I will say it was an open ending with quotes from those involved being that it was over "for now". So the anime could be coming back later.

"Broly" takes place after the ToP and is a retconning of the Legendery Super Saiyan into the series proper. Befor he was solely a movie villain separate from any series cannon.

On that note....

DigBJCtUYAA1T10.jpg

These are all Broly's forms in the film. Also...

DigBGs0UwAAS0GV.jpg

Vegeta is getting the Super Saiyan God transformation. A form previously unique to Goku.

Edited by Godzilla Earth
  • Like 1

I mean what is the point of Dragonball at this stage.

Of course you could say that about the franchise for at least the last 15 years.

Originally it was a fun take on Journey to the West, but what even is it now?

1 hour ago, Salkafar said:

Of course you could say that about the franchise for at least the last 15 years.

Well it's obviously been its own thing for a long time now, and it's always just been fun to read. Even if the story is silly, Toriyama's artwork and action has always been absolutely fantastic.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Salkafar said:

Hmmmm not an easy question.

Manga is not like wester comics and you well know. They are a self contained story that dose have an end while comics go on for years with reworkings, reboots and the like. In resent years we've seen some manga keep going however, Naruto with Boruto and Death Note's had the odd new piece crop up know and again. The real big case of continuation is stuff from Go Nagai with many reworkings of his creations such as Mazinger Z, Devilman and Cutie Honey. Most other long running anime like Gundam are almost always somthing new with each iteration, as far as I understand.

For my part I think Dragon Ball is simply appealing to many. Dragon Ball is not unintelligent, but as think it just boils down to it being fun and simple. I will admit the series is passed it's prime, in fact it's most popular arc, the Frieza Arc, is wear it's general quality of writing started to dip, the simple and fun factor has never gone away. As to why its still going, the series has held onto a very big and loyal fan base, but what really kicked this of was Battle of Gods and Resurrection F.  Both did very well at the box office, F being one of the highest grossing anime films ever and BoG was critically acclaimed. Those two films were what really made it possible for  Super to come into existence, that and Toriyama being interested in coming back on board.  

Dragon Ball pretty much stopped being a Journey to the West story after it's first arc. In fact the first arc is almost a completely different style of story compared to the later parts. The Android Saga seems to be strongly influenced by the Terminator which game out not long befor and Trunks himself seems based on Kyle Reese.

Edited by Godzilla Earth

I think dragonball is about determination. it is a positive message to people to keep pushing yourself and never give up, to seek out new challenges and take on the world head first.

I'm somewhat interested in this movie. Definitely loving the fact that Vegeta will get Super Saiyan God. Not sure why they waited this long to showcase him using it but hey, whatever. More than anything I want to see Goku and Vegeta use the fusion dance to become Gogeta and kill Broly. The non-canon match we've all waited for since the Budokai 3 opening. :frusty:

It would also give Toriyama the chance to develop a personality for him, since we only got to see 4 minutes of him in the fusion reborn movie (not counting GT Gogeta because he's a bit of a goof). And if you're wondering, yes. Gogeta is my favorite fusion of the two, however he's highly underrated and I am tired of seeing Vegito. Now he's back not once but twice in SDBH. Either as a SSBKK or SSJ4. Ugh, tired of seeing his ass. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ROUGE said:

I'm somewhat interested in this movie. Definitely loving the fact that Vegeta will get Super Saiyan God. Not sure why they waited this long to showcase him using it but hey, whatever. More than anything I want to see Goku and Vegeta use the fusion dance to become Gogeta and kill Broly. The non-canon match we've all waited for since the Budokai 3 opening. :frusty:

It would also give Toriyama the chance to develop a personality for him, since we only got to see 4 minutes of him in the fusion reborn movie (not counting GT Gogeta because he's a bit of a goof). And if you're wondering, yes. Gogeta is my favorite fusion of the two, however he's highly underrated and I am tired of seeing Vegito. Now he's back not once but twice in SDBH. Either as a SSBKK or SSJ4. Ugh, tired of seeing his ass. 

I have to say I likewise would like to see more of Gogeta.

I'm not a GT hater, but one misstep it had was its partial of him. SS4 Gogeta is not Gogeta. He's an overly exaugurated version of Vegito. Vegito is confident, but his constant taunting and messing about with Buu was part of his plan to get himself absorbed and save everyone. As seen in super, Vegito dose not screw around when facing a foe he has no reason to go easy one. SS4 Gogeta is a moron who's drunk on his own power. Gogeta, from what little we see, seems to be very reserved and serious. He defeats Janemba instantly, no messing around.

As for Vegeta getting SSG finally, well their a lot unexplained around how he even got his god power in the first place. Goku himself never used the form post his fight with Beerus despite until the ToP despite it being a viable option in many cases. My theory is that at first nether of them could access the form due to their lack of control and Goku only attained it through the ritual. When training with Whis they treated god ki like they did Super Saiyan which resulted in Blue. They had to learn to better control their power to be able to take this weaker but less draining form. Goku obviously was able to do so first as he had attained the form previously and knew what it "felt" like. But thats all fan theory on my part.

While I've pretty much cut ties with the DB fandom for the time being, I which to experience the film as intended instead of spoiling it all as I've done from BoG on, one bit I did hear about is that this movie is not going to be as simple as people think and Goku's victory is not guaranteed.