Sign in to follow this  
outOfcontrol3

Old Guyver anime vs New one

Just wondering what everyone thought on this. I grew up with the old one and loved it and i'm watching the new one new after forgetting about it. But rewatching it now i just feel like the old one was a lot better, it just seemed way darker and more violent. Even though the art is old i actually really like the old style.

Posted (edited)

I don't know if you saw the post yet, but some of us are we watching an episode of the new TV series every week and reviewing it, and then we will be watching the OVA and the 2 live action movies XD. I'm the only one to review episode 3 so far though.

I think the 2005 series tries to be like how the manga was muuuuch later on (it matured more into a drama) but right away,  whereas the OVA and early manga was more like a dark superhero story and I just don't get that feeling from the new series. Now that I think about it, I don't even think the later manga is as much a soap opera as the 2005 series is.

Oh my God, the 2005 series is like Dark Shadows! There was a old(1970s?) soap opera where the main character was a vampire and totally gives me the same vibe lol. Too much drama and then there's a little action at the end.

Edited by Maze247365

The old one. Grew up with it. The voice acting and the soundtrack stayed with me forever.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MegaMcTaco said:

The old one. Grew up with it. The voice acting and the soundtrack stayed with me forever.

Absolutely with the soundtrack, I listen to it all the time still. Later on though, because I became accustomed to watching anime in general, I actually watched it in Japanese instead of English and I liked it more in Japanese.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The old one was better in certain ways, especially how it did not hold back the violence (the Enzyme battle... what a contrast)  - Guyver is about violence. Humanity's identity in any form is shaped by violence. Not just the human race, but all forms of life on Earth were created for this purpose; and our freedom was gained when our creators wanted to see whether we could be made even better at violence, and we turned out to be too good at it! Warfare appears to be the rule in this universe, with conflict stretching across hundreds of millions of years. Not to mention how people's inner self, or what they believe it to be, is violated, bent and hammered to violence. Sho, an ordinary kid, is turned into the deadliest thing in the world, perhaps the universe.

Mizuki and her brother - and Natsuki - being the obvious exceptions. If Mizuki ever uses force, even to defend herself, it will truly be a milestone moment.

Natsuki being a Christian, I wish I knew more about Japanese Christianity. I suspect it has a lot in common with Buddhism.

Anyway... the old series better in certain ways, but obviously the new one being superior in others. The animation, for one. And while it takes liberties with the manga timeline, it evidently improves the story and allows for more character development.

The original...

The remake.

Edited by Salkafar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Maze247365 said:

I don't know if you saw the post yet, but some of us are we watching an episode of the new TV series every week and reviewing it, and then we will be watching the OVA and the 2 live action movies XD. I'm the only one to review episode 3 so far though.

I think the 2005 series tries to be like how the manga was muuuuch later on (it matured more into a drama) but right away,  whereas the OVA and early manga was more like a dark superhero story and I just don't get that feeling from the new series. Now that I think about it, I don't even think the later manga is as much a soap opera as the 2005 series is.

Oh my God, the 2005 series is like Dark Shadows! There was a old(1970s?) soap opera where the main character was a vampire and totally gives me the same vibe lol. Too much drama and then there's a little action at the end.

I just finally saw that! sorry i've been sorta inactive but i always check on the site for new chapters. i've been on this site for years but never said anything but everyone here is so friendly and has so much love for guyver that i don't feel alone. i will join the review thread though and appreciate your input. i feel like the new series has too much of a appeal to everyone feel and not the dark violent guyver feel i grew up with. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MegaMcTaco said:

I completely agree! the voice acting in the new one seems silly at times and even the accents feel forced. thank you for your input.

35 minutes ago, Salkafar said:

The old one was better in certain ways, especially how it did not hold back the violence (the Enzyme battle... what a contrast)  - Guyver is about violence. Humanity's identity in any form is shaped by violence. Not just the human race, but all forms of life on Earth were created for this purpose; and our freedom was gained when our creators wanted to see whether we could be made even better at violence, and we turned out to be too good at it! Warfare appears to be the rule in this universe, with conflict stretching across hundreds of millions of years. Not to mention how people's inner self, or what they believe it to be, is violated, bent and hammered to violence. Sho, an ordinary kid, is turned into the deadliest thing in the world, perhaps the universe.

Mizuki and her brother - and Natsuki - being the obvious exceptions. If Mizuki ever uses force, even to defend herself, it will truly be a milestone moment.

Natsuki being a Christian, I wish I knew more about Japanese Christianity. I suspect it has a lot in common with Buddhism.

Anyway... the old series better in certain ways, but obviously the new one being superior in others. The animation, for one. And while it takes liberties with the manga timeline, it evidently improves the story and allows for more character development.

The original...

The remake.

Yes the newer animation is better but at times when i watch the old it actually seems way more detailed. this could be because it's more gory though. I do feel like guyver is a mature violent manga and i love it that way! so the new one feels like it strays away a bit from that in my opinion. Thank you for the input also!

Posted (edited)

Personally I like the animation more in the older one. An OVA requires a lot more animation work than putting together a TV series where you can cut corners(imo). Some of the animation in the 2005 series is very static and not very fluid. While the designs are not completely consistent in the old OVA the animation is a lot more fluid. Six of one, half a dozen of another right?

I mostly prefer the OVA because it uses the same art style as the manga.

Edited by Maze247365
  • Like 1

i really do like the animations of the older ones. i always look up cools gifs of guyver and the older ones are always so amazing. but obviously it's older and the animation isn't always amazing, but when it is good i think it's just on another level. 

• Like 1

The original series was my first exposure to anime. I'll always love it, for that reason alone. Generally,  the animation was good, no us a few episodes. I prefer the style of animation to today's standard. The story was well told, but being so different to the source material is my only real complaint.

I also love the new one. Closer to the source material, but with some acceptable changes. It retold the story for a newer audience and even showed off the mysterious Zoalords, which is better than any Guyver/Zoanoid battle in my opinion.

I do prefer the older series slightly, but I enjoyed the later too

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gazham said:

The original series was my first exposure to anime. I'll always love it, for that reason alone. Generally,  the animation was good, no us a few episodes. I prefer the style of animation to today's standard. The story was well told, but being so different to the source material is my only real complaint.

I also love the new one. Closer to the source material, but with some acceptable changes. It retold the story for a newer audience and even showed off the mysterious Zoalords, which is better than any Guyver/Zoanoid battle in my opinion.

I do prefer the older series slightly, but I enjoyed the later too

I haven't read the guyver manga in years but is the new anime really closer to the source material? I just felt so outside with the new one. but that is probably my nostalgia speaking. if you guys can help and explain wihich is more source fed i would love that. thank you for the feed back also. I think showing off gigantic guyvers and zoalords wasn't good though and really just a desperate attempt at getting new fans attention.

o

It's a lot closer than the old series. It's not 100% though.

Showing off the Zoalords is what I felt was missing from the original. They teased us with Murakami, then ended it! Guyot being chased around Relics Point, like a scared rabbit, by Arcenfel was great for me.

2 hours ago, outOfcontrol3 said:

I haven't read the guyver manga in years but is the new anime really closer to the source material? I just felt so outside with the new one. but that is probably my nostalgia speaking. if you guys can help and explain wihich is more source fed i would love that. thank you for the feed back also. I think showing off gigantic guyvers and zoalords wasn't good though and really just a desperate attempt at getting new fans attention.

o

In comparison to the 1989 OAV? Much closer.

Buuut, it does do a lot of different things than the manga as well. Especially early on... But that is not a bad thing in this case.

What the 2005 series did was retcon some of the poor story telling that Takaya did in the original Manga. Back then the point of the manga wasn't story, but a boy in armor fighting monsters. So when they were doing the 2005 series, he was heavily involved in the restructuring.

So now we have more from Guyver 2, who was killed off so quickly in the manga (and OAV), with some additions from the side novels mixed in. And Agito is shown to be more of an evil anti-hero, rather than "Kinda cool anti-hero" from the OAV. 

But some stuff was cut, like the clone of Sho that was made from the arm that was bit off during the Enzyme fight.

As for the Gigantic being in the 2005 series... I thought it was smart. Sure, some stuff was cut... But it would have only been maybe 2 episodes at maximum. The end of the Mount Minikami arc is probably the best place to end it, considering the arc is quite long, and stopping in the middle would have been weird. And if they just ended it with the Relic being destroyed, it would have been a great cliffhanger IF the show had already been renewed for a second season. But at that point they didn't know if that would happen. So they pushed it a little farther to show a happier, more bad ass ending, rather than a downer ending of them being beaten.

10 hours ago, outOfcontrol3 said:

Just wondering what everyone thought on this. I grew up with the old one and loved it and i'm watching the new one new after forgetting about it. But rewatching it now i just feel like the old one was a lot better, it just seemed way darker and more violent. Even though the art is old i actually really like the old style.

The old 1989 OAV is a mixed bag... The first 6 episodes are spectacular, while the 2nd 6 are very meh in a lot of spots. You can clearly tell that they spent a lot of money to make the first 6 episodes, but dd not nearly have the same budget for the 2nd 6. But because of this, the first 6 still hold up to some of today's standards. And being an OAV, it didn't need to be family friendly, so they went a bit bloodier with the animation. sure, the Manga isn't that bloody at all, but it helped create a style to bring people in.

...And that theme song. Goddamn I love that song.

The 2005 series was a TV Series with a small budget, but with the benefit of newer technology. So while it looks fine as it is, it's not up to par with other more expensive series from around that time. Seeing as how it was being played on a TV station, they could not get away with a lot of blood and gore. Though closer to the manga in this part, it did tone it down a bit further. However the tone and scope of the series is much more fleshed out, and the world and characters feel a lot better than they did in the early volumes of the manga.

Because of how poorly the original manga starts, and how serious the 2005 series takes everything, I like to introduce new people to the first 6 episodes of the OAV first. It's all a great time, with lots of action and great music to get you pumped for more... THEN I show them the 2005 tv series. Because it handles the series to volume 10 pretty well, there is almost no need to go back and read the previous volumes, unless they become a big fan and actually want to.

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2018 at 4:32 AM, Salkafar said:

The original...

The remake.

Man, haven't posted on here in years (still keep up with it, though). This is a bit of a sidebar, but since you brought up the example of the Guyver versus Enzyme fight I would like to take a moment and talk about the original OVA compared to the old dub of the original OVA.

As most of you probably know, US Renditions was the first to dub and bring over the original OVA as a set of six VHS tapes with two episodes on each tape, which Manga then re-released as a set of 12 VHS tapes, eventually compiled on to two DVDs. Whenever they did this, they re-dubbed some of the lines with the most of the same voice actors, greatly improving the clarity of some hard to understand moments. This includes the scene where Sho fights Enzyme.

However, when they did this, they also completely changed the mood and delivery of Genzo's lines. Go back and watch the original fight posted above.

Now, watch this:

The old dub of the original.

Instead of just looking malevolent, Genzo sounds and feels like he absolutely abhors Sho with every fiber of his being. I'm not sure why they decided to redo what was as perfect of a delivery as the old dub was, but when they did they took away a great deal of visceral depth from what should be a scene filled with both absolute enmity and abject horror. To be honest, it sort of ruins it for me, and I'm still scratching my head as to why they decided to make the change.

Edited by Andon

Another great example of the old dub of the original and the re-dub of the OVA is Derzerb's voice in most instances.

I personally prefer the UK version which if I'm understanding correctly is the newer one? Is that just the Manga Ent. release? I've gotten a little confused reading your posts. Although I admit some of the sound mixing is better in the older dub - certain bits of music, grunts and sound effects that I didn't know where there until watching the US version got lost in the UK.

While we're on the subject though, does anyone have ANY idea what Enzyme is saying in the UK version at 0:48?

https://youtu.be/0poOZLGfl9s?t=48s

It has been a mystery since I first saw it all those years ago.