Sign in to follow this  
MegaMcTaco

The Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor Rewatch Thread

While we patiently and/or impatiently wait for the next chapter of the manga to be released, why not do what the MCU fan-base is currently doing with the lead up to Infinity War and re-watch the 2005 TV series?!

Basically, re-watch one episode every week, then discuss it on here. Talk about what you liked, what you didn't like etc. We've gotta keep this board active somehow! All 26 episodes, followed by the 12-part OVA, followed by both live action adaptions... Then hopefully we'll have a new chapter in 40 weeks :P

Episode 1: "The Amazing Bioboosted Armor"

Original Air Date: August 6, 2005

Synopsis: Two police officers encounter and are killed by a strange man who is actually a Zoanoid created by the Cronos organization. The Zoanoid stole three Guyver units from the organization and is now being pursued by them. During a confrontation between Chronos troops and the Zoanoid named Malmot, the units are scattered through the area, where Sho and Tetsuro are. The two find the unit and Sho activates it, becoming Guyver I. 

And go!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Great idea. I was thinking I'd like something to replace Dragonball Super.
I'm on board with this. is it OK if I watch on a Sunday?

I'll backdate it, so I'll watch episode 1 tonight.

Edited by Tora Tan

Posted (edited)

I'm not the biggest fan of the 2005 version but I'm doing this for you, Guyver fans!

Guyver TV series episode 1 review (Japanese language):

I think right off the bat it was wrong of the series to tease/spoil both the conquest of Earth and Guyver gigantic at the beginning of the episode. We're talking about 2 really huge spoilers in the manga.

I'm okay with them "modernizing" Guyver for a new generation, but I don't see why they had to change both the art style and the character's personalities. This is a problem for me because I want to be able to look at the main characters and say "oh hey that's sho fukamachi" or "look that's mizuki segawa", but these changes are having the opposite effect and they seem very foreign to me. I have to get used to them all over again, and I can't really have any familiarity with them once I cross over to the manga again.

Enough bad stuff, how about some good news? While the animation may not be as fluid, I think the zoanoid and Guyver art is better and more consistent in this series. I would have liked a little more color, but all of the scenes with zoanoids and Guyver I were pretty good. The music's nothing special, but at least it had that "hero is coming to save the day" feel to it still. I think that's what matters most in this episode.

So yeah, I think I'll be watching the series more for just enjoying the Zoanoid/Zoalord/Guyver stuff and sort of ignoring the situations of the main characters because they just feel different to me now. 

Was I too brutal? Should I be more positive in the next episode review?

Edited by Maze247365
Fixing post
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Maze247365 said:

Was I too brutal? Should I be more positive in the next episode review?

Absolutely not because it wasn't a very good adaptation.

I've actually spent the last few weeks re-watching numerous Guyver clips (gotta stay interested somehow!), mostly of scenes that have been adapted numerous times into anime and the 2005 series ALWAYS misses the mark.

I can't actually be bothered to watch the whole of the first episode of the 2005 series but I watched the key scenes earlier this week and while, yes it's well drawn (most of the time), everything lacks punch and emphasis. The changes to the manga don't offer anything positive to the narrative or watching experience. Turning the truck driver into two police men makes for a fess interesting situation, and even though the driver was an asshole in the manga you could at least relate to the fact that he was just a guy in the wrong place at the wrong time. Making Malmot a family man was also completely uninteresting because it wasn't developed - why should the viewer care about this guy when all they've seen from him is the murdering of the two police men? He was more pitiful in the 12-part OVA just by having him talk to Agito on the phone at the beginning of the episode.

Malmot's transformation is done okay, and he's actually drawn extremely well, but Gregole's transformation lacks any emphasis. It looks like they just didn't want to go through the effort of making it more dramatic so they have him transform far from the camera so they could skimp on the details of it. Same thing goes for their fight - I can only imagine they didn't want to go through the effort of animating the arm wrestling match so instead we get... basically nothing before Malmot blows himself up. Out of Control's fight on the other hand is unbelievably well animated for something that came out 30 years ago. Removing the arm wrestle completely ruins the setup for the wrestle with the Guyver; the power scale from Malmot - Gregole - Guyver is less evident.

Sho bonding with the unit is slow and lacks the dynamism it had in the 12-part OVA. The fight with Gregole looks amazing and thank goodness they kept the arm wrestle this time but what is with Gregole aiming his punch to the side of the Guyver's head? I imagine it's supposed to represent the Guyver dodging the punch but he doesn't move at all. And the finish of the fight also makes me feel like, once again, they just couldn't be bothered to animate the Guyver's last attack, so creating that moment of suspense was the easy way out. I appreciate it must be an absolute nightmare animating Guyvers and Zoanoids but if they got it right 30 years ago pre-digital animation then there's absolutely no reason they shouldn't be able to do it now. If the budget was too tight then they may as well have not done it at all. Maybe it's just one of those series that needs that 80s/90s anime grit to work.

The English voice acting is also pretty bad - the delivery is often flat and the quality difference between the JP and ENG acting gets pretty bad in some parts of the series. (For the record I'm not always opposed to english voice acting - FMA has a great dub). But this is a more general criticism rather than being directed to the first episode specifically.

That said, I disagree with you Maze on the soundtrack. It's not as good as the 12-part, but it's still pretty cool.

I like the idea of this thread, I might play along for a little while but it's hard to stay entertained while watching this series. I would never recommend it to anyone wanting to get into Guyver - at least not until the last few episodes.

• Like 2

I like your reviews because it makes me feel like I am not alone.
I am sure I have watched this whole series before but I don't remember clearly. watching it this time, the series is WEIRD.  I tried to compare it to other anime and I just can't seem to find a match.

the pacing, the sound, the content of it, just feels incredibly vacant. I was thinking it is possible that it is Allegory for Sho's life. we see him from near the start and is a bit of a douche to his dad. but then I thought.. this is suggesting that he is depressed and without focus in his life. the following scenes seem to reinforce that. it's not very tight though and I feel like it could be easily missed. Or I could just be wrong. I also felt like the characters were introduced very vaguely.  Each time a new character was introduced I felt like it wasn't really clear who they are or if they are important.

the music too, was absent for a lot of the time. the whole thing had this vacant ethereal aspect to it that was neatly topped off with the stoned woman talking at the end for the next episode preview.

The monsters were quite well drawn but I agree there was a lot of missing animation for the first episode. it's supposed to make a good impression and I think it fell short.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Ah what the heck, I'll tag in for this to.

I'm going to be review this as I go through the episode.

Guyver Episode 1: The Amazing Biobooster Armour.

Watching it now I'm 50/50 on the intro. On the one hand is kind of a massive spoiler, especially for first timers, to show that the bad guys are going to take over the world. You now have that information hanging over the entire series which dose pull the rug out of the narratives tension as the story progresses becuase while you don't know how things got this way, you know they will. This undercuts the surprise at the second story arc's beginning to. On the other hand, one of guyvers biggest issues is that its opening arc is very much a monster of the week style story. While its done better then virtually any version of that I can think of (and I'd explain my view point on this as we go through) this can be a turn off for new comers or at least put them in the wrong mind set, especially if they are jaded or cynical to the idea. This at least gives them a taste that there's more going on here then "bad guys send random monster to fight hero". Guyver dose a good job of getting this across anyway, the OVAs doing the best, but I do feel that due to the way this series portrays the first arc this little taster just helps it get the point across. Also from someone like myself, who had watch the OVA's and movies but was totally ignorant of both the manga and rest of the story,  this was pretty dame awesome to see after years of nothing and really got my mind going.

While I never thought about it much back in 2005, due to the fact that I'd kind of fallen out of the anime circle for a few years, this show dose come off a cheap looking, especially early on. While not terrible by my personal standards, this series defiantly has the weakest animation out of the three,  even compared to the original "Out of Control" OVA. However its not the only one, about this time both Mermaid Saga and Demon Lord Dante came out and both were of similur quality, so it seems like a number of old properties were getting shows done on lower end budgets back then.

Malmots opening scene is not bad. It's creepy and unlike the truck driver from the original story I actually feel sorry for these poor cops. However it lacks the true horror and shock other portrayals of this scene have. Having Malmot not transform proper is just weird, I don't really see the point of hiding the fact he's a zoanoid. Especially after the intro.

While I don't mind it to much, I never really understood some of the changes made to the casts designs. I can only guess it was done to modernise the show but it seems a bit pointless in hind sight. Upside I'm really happy we get to see Sho and his father together from the start, Fumio is such an important character in the second arc and it really helps the story as a whole to have him and Sho interacting as early as possible. I have to agree that the cast sounds a bit wooden at this point but Chris Patton and John Swasey were ok picks for the characters I feel.

Luci Christian is a pretty good pick for Mizuki and sounds ok but she's clearly lacking the experience she has now days. She's currently doing a great job as Nami in One Piece.

On the flip side whoever is doing the voice for the council member reading out the agenda makes me want to stab pins in my ears.

Of the main caste so far Brian Jepson as Agito is probable the best.

Lowell Bartholomee as Tetsuro is not bad but something about his voice sounds.... off.

The confrontation between Malmot and the Chrono Solders feels rushed or at least to short. They try to compensate by telling us that Malmot has a family but it really dose not make me feel as sorry for him in this version. All his counterparts seem so broken and desperate that its genuinely heart-breaking to see him beaten down then resort to suicide. This version just lacks the same gut punch. His cold blooded murdering of innocent cops make me less sympathetic to, yes his reasons are the same but his attack on the truck driver always felt more justified, especially in the manga. While the scenes fly by the goons, Malmot and especially Gregole all look fantastic but again the transformations and reveals just lace the proper spectacle. 

Sho's bonding with the Guyver, while not bad per say, dose lack the impact other versions of this scene do. This is all again due to the break neck pass we are moving at and the shows lower budget. However I do find it interesting that in this version Tetsuro genuinely shoulders some of the blame for Sho becoming the Guyver.

Guyver 1's reveal suffers from the same problem I mentioned above, its to fast paced and its given none of the spectral and atmosphere is should. That being said the Guyver looks pretty great and the actual fight with Gregole is not bad either. Now there's no getting round this point, the 2005 anime is by far the tames version of Guyver. While it dose not shy away from a little blood, it far from the ulta violence the franchise is known for as we don't see Gregole get his head pulverised (Your can is packed tunaman!).

For the ending I'd just be repeating myself, its ok but again the speed the story is moving at prevents it from having the proper build-up and atmosphere it should have.

As for music and sound effects, all pretty ok but nothing to stand outish.

For an over all score I give this a 3/5. I'm being lenient as this was the first episode and everyone's just getting started. While it was great for guyver to come back looking at it objectively is a very "average" way kick off the series. While there's nothing out and out bad, the animation is what it is, there's nothing really great about it ether. 

Manga Comparison: In a way this stays pretty close actually. While 33 pages long, the opening chapter of Guyver is pretty fast past in its own right and Episode 1 actually has more happen. However the manga's art style dose a far better job at setting the mood for the key scenes of the story. Also while the added scenes allow the episodes narrative to flow better, ironically this takes time away from key scenes making them feel rushed and less dramatic. 

Edited by Deviljho
  • Like 1

After having not watched it over a year and all of the anime I've seen in that time....I can say this: this version of Guyver did not age well.  I get that they had a lower budget than the rest of the anime scene, even if there were similar projects on the same level, but there are just some story aspects in just the first episode that do not belong there at all.  Malmot being the main point as stated by everyone else, and then there's the opening scene that painted a false set of expectations for the audience (seriously, Cronos didn't thrust the world into a post-apocalyptic setting as we see at the end of the anime series).  In any case, later issues that popped up are not as apparent in the first episode, but still it's still mediocre animation at best. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, river_chaos said:

After having not watched it over a year and all of the anime I've seen in that time....I can say this: this version of Guyver did not age well.  I get that they had a lower budget than the rest of the anime scene, even if there were similar projects on the same level, but there are just some story aspects in just the first episode that do not belong there at all.  Malmot being the main point as stated by everyone else, and then there's the opening scene that painted a false set of expectations for the audience (seriously, Cronos didn't thrust the world into a post-apocalyptic setting as we see at the end of the anime series).  In any case, later issues that popped up are not as apparent in the first episode, but still it's still mediocre animation at best. 

I actually disagree with your point about the beginning scene only because it foreshadows the destruction and chaos that Kronos brought about taking over the world on X day(I think that was the name of it). I know you're trying to point out that the world didn't look post-apocalyptic at the end of the Anime. However there probably was a lot of destruction of buildings when they took over the world, and a lot of efforts for rebuilding were made afterwards.... Now that I think about it it's a little weird that there weren't more previously destroyed buildings in the manga isn't it? Then again maybe not because look how fast they built Kronos headquarters in Japan and the US, plus Israel/Middle East (Dead Sea base)

Also for the next episode I'm going to be a lot more critical. I thought I had to be nice because everybody here loves Guyver and you would kick me out if I was too mean to it, but now that I see that everybody shares my opinion, I'm not going to hold back lol. That being said, I don't regret the first review I gave. Rather than being pessimistic about the rest of the series I was looking for something I like to latch onto to enjoy watching the rest of it. Nice reviews everyone!

Edited by Maze247365

Just because we all love Guyver doesn't mean we can't be critical of it! Even if you were the only to dislike it I doubt anyone here would've given you a hard time for it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Guyver Episode 2 The Secret Society of Cronos

I've read over my last review and realised is seems...disjointed. Sorry its how my thoughts come out.

A nice establishing shot of the MAX Pharmaceuticals. With that company name and tacky limousine, its clear Genzo is a man of undiluted arrogance. Synevite's voice actor is ok since he's really just a professional goon. Brando Austin as Genzo is... not bad... in terms of how his voice sounds. He fits the part of an arrogant businessmen but apart from annoyed all his other attempts at emotion feel forced. knowing that this is going to be the voice of my #1 favourite zoanoid.... :sad:.

My goodness some of the backgrounds look so cheap, the character models really stand apart from them. The one good shot is of the lake.

Here Tetsuro's investigation begins. I've said before that of the three original cast members he was the best equipped, mentally, to deal with the situation. Being the true "nerd" of the three this is the sort of stuff he loves and day dreams about. While the harsher, more real side of stuff will affect him just as much, he's got the best foundation to deal with it. He also knows how investigate whats going on, even if its only at an amateurish level. What I've always liked about these scenes and his character in general at this point is that he's also the first to be proactive about the situation. So all his scenes here are good, it just a shame his voice actor still sounds off.

Natsuki's English voice actor is actually ok. As for the main caste, this episode really dose not show much growth for them. The still sound like competent amateurs, with Mizuki sounding the best. Sho lacks the proper emotion here.

Brando apparently cannot do his Genzo voice and shout at the same time....oh dear..... You know its bad when the goon on the TV screen has more emotion.

Enter Jason Douglas as Lisker. Some may not agree with me on this but I've always felt that the best voice acting in this series comes from key villains, the first being Jason/Lisker here. In one scene he's already put most of the cast to shame as his dialog feels far more natural. He dose not display quit the range he has now day, he's currently the voice of God of Destruction Beerus in Dragon Ball Super and the new movies, but he's still sound so much better then Brando/Genzo. Hell he's part of the reason I cam to like Guyver II so much.

and for the third act of this episode we get to complete our triangle of villain voice acting. We've had the bad, Genzo, the good, Lisker and now the laughable with Vamor's Scottish accent. Ok this is not the first time a random Scotsman turned up in Guyver's English dub cast, but while the OVA's one was just for one scene and really is of meme quality here we subjected to what sound like a very bad, fake Scottish accent for 1/3 of the episode and it gets worse after he transforms, as his accent and delivery ruin any menace we should be feeling.

Upside the episodes finale looks really good. Ramotith looks good and they actually go his name right! The Guyver looks f##king awesome. what great about this scene is that we get to see what the guyver can do in a short space of time with any over the top explanations. the first time I saw how the armour dealt with bullets my eye nearly popped out of my head as I only had the movies to go off. The introduction of the head beam is great and give us anidea of how the guyver's weapons function.

The fight between Sho and the Ramotith is good, if short, but is a little ruined with bad voice acting forcing itself into the scene. 

It's such a shame what they have done to Vamor here. The model looks good, his blasts look good and the music is bloody awesome but its all undercut but his voice actor. Also it looks like we can add "I'm in a class of my own" to the zoanoids list of catchphrases. However from a narrative perspective and given how intelligent Cronos and it's agents are depicted (they way they entrap our heroes here and how they behave later is miles above what many villains get up to), Vamor comes of as a bit of a show off and a moron by not trying to blasting Sho the first time.

There's no getting round this fact, the Mega-Smasher looks gorgeous is this episode. And Sho's voice actor seems to sound better with the voice filter?

And we end the episode with the birth of Guyver 2 and shockingly Guyver 3 as well. Shame it suffers from a bit of bad line delivery from Synevite and the random us of the 3-D model of a unit in Agito's house

All in all this gets another 3/5 but for very different reasons. There a quit a few highs in this episode but some very noticeable lows along side them.

Chapter Comparison: Much like last time the episode follows the manga chapter is based on very closely but with scenes added in. Most of what's been added here is actually good, such as Tetsuro's investigation and Agito's activating of Unit. It just a shame that its dragged by some of the episodes poorer qualities.

Edited by The Human Hunter
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Guyver TV series episode 2 Review (Japanese language)

To me the second episode of any anime is usually the deciding factor of whether I keep watching or drop it. While I think it's interesting that the TV series is trying out new ideas and things, I think it's not trying hard enough to be interesting to a new viewer that doesn't know what Guyver is and that is ultimately what it should be doing because Guyver is a classic old anime that is most unheard-of except for the fact that it was remade, at least in the eyes of a new viewer.

I shall now refer to this Sho Fukamachi as "sho I do not know", actually maybe that's too long how about just "new sho". New Sho is different from the Sho in that he is very timid and has a lot of anxiety issues, possibly caused by the loss of his mother which we are not told is recent or not. In fact he doesn't seem like the kind of person you'd want to hang out with because he's always down in the dumps. 

But it doesn't matter because he is our main character, or at least he is supposed to be. The problem with episode 2 is that it focuses too much on tetsuro and Mizuki. This is new for both the OVA and the manga. In order to grab new viewers I think it's important to create a strong relationship between the main character and the audience at least in the first two episodes if not the whole series. It's hard for me to get behind a main character that is not shown. get it...not sho-wn? Okay I'll stop.

We also get some glimpses of "new Mizuki" who seems to be just as depressed and anxious as new sho is. Good that makes them made for each other right? Because in the original manga both Sho and Mizuki were both lively and energetic people. But what I really don't like about new mizuki, is that she appears to be psychic in that she has the same expression on her face that all the other characters that know about Cronos have. She's supposed to be completely in the dark and she still is but for some reason, she always seems to have an oh my god really bad thing is going to happen soon face. I don't know why she has that face at all. Is the anime going to explain it, like they did with new sho's mother? Because maybe that would be interesti-oh okay it's not.

Guyver versus Ramotith

Well let's get to the meat and potatoes. At this point of the episode we haven't really established a relationship with new sho because most of the episode has focused on tetsuro, but now it's time for New Sho to take action. First tetsuro is grilled about the location of the Guyver which they had explicitly stated hidden itself in the lake. This should have been the the focus of the episode, the question is where is the Guyver unit right? Why does new sho have strange things on his back if the guyver is in the lake? And when tetsuro finds out that the Guyver is no longer in the lake, he's focusing too much on the fact that the people that kidnapped him are Kronos, which he should have realized by the uniforms they were wearing. His surprise should have been that the Guyver is no longer in the lake, not that they are Kronos! 

This then gives new sho the idea to ask the Guyver for help, and oh my God he's going to say it soon.... Get ready for it...*main character screams Guyver like a girl* what the fudging fudgepacker was that?! This is our new Guyver? Are you kidding me? No seriously are you kidding me? Ever since I was a kid one of the best parts of the Guyver shows was hearing the main character yell Guyver like a hero, and that was not a heroic scream. This is supposed to be a really big part of the show and they dropped the ball. This is supposed to be a signature staple of the show and they left it out. What were they thinking?

Moving on. New Sho calls on the Guyver unit. The suit's explosion ate one of the Ramotith in half, guts and all, which was cool. I like that it shows the suit is Bulletproof and this is the first time in the series that they have explained how the suit works by showing the suit connected to the user's brain. For the first time we can see that the Guyver is actually able to see and think faster than normal humans and uses his head beam based on instinct to shoot down a bullet in mid-air. That was very cool, no objections that was very cool. Then Guyver fights Ramotith which is always fun to watch, and makes short work of them.

Guyver vs Vamore

Here is another very very very important part of the Guyver series. The mega Smasher. How large is the blast is and how long it shoots for is another very big staple for this series. Especially since later in the manga, Guyver I struggles with controlling the mega Smasher himself because it is supposed to be this uncontrollable blast that he can do nothing about. However,  It only lasts for a couple seconds, they show the damage afterwards to give the audience an idea of what it did but there's just no forgiving laziness. Yes it was cool while the mega Smasher was warming up with the lightning and everything, but it just lacked the same impact as it usually does. And I think that's the key word for this episode....impact, in this episode, it didn't really have it. It just felt like an ordinary show and it doesn't have the passion of the original Guyver.

A final note, I think it was a nice touch that they showed that makishima's Guyver unit was black and red, which explains why his suit is black and red. Why then is inspector Risker's Guyver unit also blue and pink like new sho's? Isn't it supposed to be gold and black then? Consistency consistency consistency! There is no freaking consistency!

That wraps up my review of Guyver episode 2. I really wanted to enjoy this episode, but I had to make it clear that the second episode of an anime is super important because it's supposed to grab a new viewer's attention and I think it failed to do that. I think that it still does play to Old fans by showing new things that other adaptations did not but I also think that even that is handled in a clumsy way. This is why I constantly tell people that are interested in Guyver to watch the OVA instead of the 2005 series. The reason is because I fell in love with the Guyver series because of the OVA. If I had watched this 2005 series back then when I was 9 or 10 years old, I don't think I would have liked it as much today.

Let me know if you like my style of review and I hope you look forward to next week's review of episode 3.

- Maze

Edited by Maze247365
  • Like 1