Sign in to follow this  
Matt Bellamy

Sol Tekkaman Project

While Guyver is still sitting on a long hiatus, I got watching Tekkaman Blade again. And Tekkaman Blade 2. Yeah it's not great, but still has its own charms.

Like the Sol Tekkaman armors.

I really liked the green and yellow suits that were briefly used in the first episode, and wished they had been used more. I came to an even bigger realization... I had not seen any decent line art of them other than a really crappy small pic. I then also realized that the Sol Tekkaman armors from the Prague incident have no line art that I can find ever.

So, since Guyver is on hiatus, I decided to draw me some Sol Tekkaman armors.

I had recently picked up the Armor Plus Sol Tekkaman Unit 2 figure, and decided to start with the TV series suits first, since they are also bad ass. Plus I wanted to use them as a ground work for the later models.

And now they are complete!

I didn't draw Units 1, 1 Refit or 2 using their weapons because there is tons of line art (and fan art) of them already, but there was nothing of the Tekkaman Blade 2 units weapons so I decided to do them.

Now, as for what is next...?

I dunno. Maybe since I am still on a Tekkaman kick, I might actually do some actual Tekkamen.

soltekkaman1005.thumb.jpg.6a8ea9f56ecdfeb94bc3aae35cc3cedd.jpg

The finished proto-type for the Earth created Sol Tekkaman units. Built by the Allied Defense Forces using "stolen" data from the Space Knights data on the Tekkaman Voltekka system and their many attempts at making a powered armor. Piloted by Balzac, this unit uses a "Fermion cannon", which was developed by Dr. Marlo (Balzac's close friend) using the data Balzac "stole" ( in truth, Freeman gave him the data because he knew this would happen).

The armor itself provides some strength enhancement, but it is not made for melee combat. It makes up for this with it's agility. With thrusters on the sides of the legs, and on the backpack, the Sol Tekkaman armor has great maneuverability and can hover along the ground at great speeds, jump great heights, and dodge incoming attacks easily. It is also capable of limited flight on its own. As well, the suit can be sealed so that the user can survive in space and under water.

The Fermion cannon is able to destroy a Radam creature in a single shot (both ground and flying types), but it is ineffective against a Tekkaman. The Fermion cannon is a 2 part system: The Main cannon on the back, and the laser/trigger unit on the right arm. While the Arm unit can be used as a laser, it's primary function is to to be used with the back cannon. When combined, the Sol Tekkaman also has an extra visor unit placed over the head, and a small radom/shield off the side of the cannon that has an extra handle for the left arm to hold that provides extra aiming assistance and stability.

Unit 1 is trashed by Tekkaman Evil while on a mission to try and take back the Space Ring. Balzac and a damaged Unit 1 survive and make it back to Earth, later to be brought back into action by the Space Knight team. Unit 1 undergoes an overhauling by Rebin as its cannon was destroyed in the previous battle, and the armor was still badly beat up from his encounter with Tekkaman Evil. When he uses the armor next it has a new weapon and some different armor features ( will be drawn as well)

Though it is not shown in the TV series, this model of Sol Tekkaman was mass produced (other than Unit 2), and a couple units are briefly shown protecting Defense Force ships in space at the start of Tekkaman Blade 2; Though it was wielding a different model of cannon. More advanced units are soon deployed, so it is assumed that these units were older models that still remain in service.

soltekkaman2005.thumb.jpg.d21dce25637d7e501961a8ed005ad199.jpg

The 2nd Sol Tekkaman suit created by the Allied Defense Forces. Identical to Unit 1; except for color variances. The unit thus retains the arm laser/Fermion cannon weapons.

Unit 2 was used by Space Knight Noal to defend the Allied Defense Forces base when he accidentally came upon the unmanned unit and a few technicians who were communicating with General Colbert. The technicians told Colbert that there was no pilot, and Colbert specifically said " Anyone will do!". Noal jumped at this chance, donned the armor and took to it almost unnaturally.

After that incident, the Space Knights kept the armor and Noal remained its pilot for the the remainder of the TV series, until it's last fight; where Balzac wore it, with a proto-type cannon to try and kill Tekkaman Sword, while Noal piloted the Blue Earth. The cannon worked well enough, but Sword was able to damage the Blue Earth, sending all 3 of them hurtling towards Earth. Balzac did not give up however and he was able to do enough damage to Tekkaman Sword that he in Unit 2 and Tekkaman Sword burnt up on atmospheric re-entry. The Blue Earth and Noal crashed, but Noal survived.

soltekkaman1r005.thumb.jpg.8307b0264dc6ec887fe3930c9db4ffdd.jpg

When Balzac joined the Space Knights later in the series, he brought with him a very damaged Sol Tekkaman suit. Rebin was able to repair and power up the unit with a few new additions.

The Fermion cannon was destroyed, and since it wasn't needed, the laser/trigger mechanism was removed. Instead Rebin installed a dual Fermion turret system on the upper back. The two turrets can fire in all directions, that individually seem to lack a bit of power that the Fermion cannon has, but can still kill most Radam creatures in 1 or 2 shots. The helmet was also upgraded with addition sensors for the Fermion turrets. As well, Blazac carries a rifle created by the Allied Defense Forces for normal soldiers. It fires 3 metal spikes that seem to electrocute the target. It was never that effective against Radam by itself, so I don't know why it was included, unless Rebin improved it as well. The right armor was also fitted with a larger shield gauntlet.

To use the Fermion turrets on ground, Unit 2 needs to hunch forward, so that it's back it upright. The user than can lean on the right arm shield, and legs have been slightly modified for this pose as well.

Balzac continued to use the refitted Unit 1 until the end of the series. It is unknown what happen to this unit as it was never seen outright destroyed, though both Sol Tekkaman units do get regularly beat up pretty good, they are usually repaired between encounters.

soltekkamanTB2005.thumb.jpg.277347e1fd339496a41259fdd1a94eb2.jpg

The Sol Tekkaman series has gotten a few upgrades over the years.

Originally seen attacking the incoming Radam forces at the start of Tekkaman Blade 2, as well as during the events of Missing Link, seems to be the Space variant of the next generation Sol Tekkaman armors. Much like the older models, it is shown to be very agile in space, dodging around the incoming Radam creatures. In terms of attack power though, this model is quite different in terms of weapons than the older models. First off, it carries a long rifle under its arm, which is not back mounted. This rifle seems to be able to kill Radam creatures in a few quick hits. As well, this model also has another, more potent weapon: A Voltekker! Its shoulder armor opens to reveal two 3 lens Voltekker weapons. They fire a beam very similar to a Tekkaman Voltekker that is able to tear through multiple Radam creatures with ease. They don't seem to spread out like other Tekkaman Voltekkers and are more finely focused, possibly to stop weakening of the attack at distances.

Unfortunately, this new model is just an ineffective against actual Tekkaman creatures. It is assumed that the Rifle would be totally ineffective, but it is unknown if its Voltekker would have any effect, as they never showed one being used on the alien Tekkamen.

soltekkamanTB2006.thumb.jpg.a674cba6eace62ddfa1c36e796feb89a.jpg

This pic includes the rifle and open Voltekker since they were only shown very briefly.

soltekkamanTB2e005.thumb.jpg.8eb1822e799255a60c59d405229bf04d.jpg

After the first Radam invasion, the new Earth Government continued to build and upgrade the Sol Tekkaman suits. While it was unknown if there would ever be another invasion, the suits themselves were also just very efficient combat machines, and they weren't going to let that idea go to waste.

It seems like they designs 2 sets of suits, one for Space use ( previously drawn) and one for use on Earth ( this one). With some differences in appearance here and there, the two suits seem to be basically the same, with just different maneuverability options due to the differences in Space and in gravity. They both carry the same long rifle, and the Earth model seems to have an under barrel attachment of some sort. Possibly a grenade launcher, but it is unknown exactly what it is. This model also can carry a large shield. As well, can be air launched with a removable parachute pack on its back.

These units are most famous for being used in the Tekkaman uprising in Prague in Tekkaman Blade 2 that ended... Poorly. As well, it was seen being used by Space Knight Noal in Missing Link, before it is completely destroyed by the tornado being caused by Blade. This was likely retconned, even if Noal's disappearance was even more lame in Tekkaman Blade 2.

soltekkamanTB2e006.thumb.jpg.73803c6d5eb0f841e86bf81e5ec07216.jpg

This marks the end of the Sol Tekkaman armors!

• Like 1