Sign in to follow this  
Lord Arkadius

Question in regards to this artist's Guyver art.

Hey everyone! 

Got a question for the Advocacy. Does anyone know anything about the artist Lucithea? They have a Deviantart page with a good amount of Guyver art. I really enjoy their work, and would like to know more about them. :)

She's a fan artist, very talented one at that. She's on Deviant Art and has some really cool stuff done.

21 minutes ago, Sully said:

She's a fan artist, very talented one at that. She's on Deviant Art and has some really cool stuff done.

I'm currently watching her page. Is her art part of a story she's created? Do you know anything about her original character named Alfa? Is she a member of the Advocacy? 

1 hour ago, Lord Arkadius said:

I'm currently watching her page. Is her art part of a story she's created? Do you know anything about her original character named Alfa? Is she a member of the Advocacy? 

Lucithea is a Russian artist who doesn't have anything to do with the Advocacy or this site... But she is indeed quite the excellent fan artist (I turned her basic Alfa design into a Gigantic once. Her design just inspired me out of the blue)

She does frequent Cannibals site and forum ( http://guyver-world.ru/ ).. But it is all in Russian. And she has mentioned on her DA and to me in correspondence that She does not speak English very well at all and relies on a translator for communication in English.

1 hour ago, Matt Bellamy said:

Lucithea is a Russian artist who doesn't have anything to do with the Advocacy or this site... But she is indeed quite the excellent fan artist (I turned her basic Alfa design into a Gigantic once. Her design just inspired me out of the blue)

She does frequent Cannibals site and forum ( http://guyver-world.ru/ ).. But it is all in Russian. And she has mentioned on her DA and to me in correspondence that She does not speak English very well at all and relies on a translator for communication in English.

I just found your Deviantart page. Absolutely fantastic Guyver art! I'm going to add your page to my watch list! :D

Is all the art from WarriorGuyver.com? It's been a long time since I've last visited the site. The first time was somewhere in the 00's. Would it be alright if I asked you about your history with WarriorGuyver? Were you an original member? Did you frequent other early Guyver sites? 

Even though Lucithea relies on a translator do you think we should invite her to join the Advocacy? 

3 hours ago, Lord Arkadius said:

I just found your Deviantart page. Absolutely fantastic Guyver art! I'm going to add your page to my watch list! :D

Is all the art from WarriorGuyver.com? It's been a long time since I've last visited the site. The first time was somewhere in the 00's. Would it be alright if I asked you about your history with WarriorGuyver? Were you an original member? Did you frequent other early Guyver sites? 

Even though Lucithea relies on a translator do you think we should invite her to join the Advocacy? 

Most of the Guyver artwork on my DA page is from the Warrior Guyver fanfiction or from "The Great War of the Guyvers" fanfcition (and are labeled as such)... But the two are connected in some ways... So basically yes, the majority of the artwork are fan fiction characters.

I joined back in 1998 when "The Team" was technically just two people, Sully and Zeo1234, and I believe there was only 1 or 2 parts of the fanfic on the page. Only meant it as a small mention in my own fanfiction, but ended up being a lot more once we got chatting about Guyver ( protip: I love talking about Guyver. Hard to get me to shut up). That was 19 years ago. I was 17.

We are old.

So I wasn't an "Original member", in the strictest sense, but we all doubt it would have gotten as big as it did if we hadn't teamed up.

I visited all the Guyver sites back then... There wasn't much info at the time, and there was no message boards like this... at all, during that time... Until David Carpenter/Evilfx ( bioweapons.com ) put up a simple one... But up until that point it was all about guestbooks. And there was only one really good place to go for information called "Stars Guyver Page", which eventually had info up to volume 15, and all it had was written synopsis.

We eventually opened up our own phpbb forum when they came out, and for a while it was pretty successful. We had our ups and downs with staff and members, and during that time, theguyver.net was created... but what really killed it, was our board had gotten hacked a few times...and lots of data was lost... And eventually was kinda just left to rot... But that was due to numerous factors, including waning interest in Guyver due to what seemed like inactivity from Japan... but also life.

I still poked around the site and theguyver.net over the years... Which eventually took on the new name of japan-legend.com as the majority of members/staff who were fans of Guyver were declining so much... And we had taken a liking to Japanese Tokusatsu shows ( Sentai, Kamen Rider ect...)

And here we are today. The last bastion of English speaking Guyver fandom ( the Guyver still seems pretty popular in Russia though. http://guyver-world.ru/ seems to have more traffic than us), except for occasional random posts on other forums.

There's 19 years of history wrapped up.

----------------------------

As for convincing Lucithea to come here?

You can always try, but again, as she has mentioned, she is not good with english at all, and judging by her output of art right now, Guyver seems to be on the back burner for her right now... And would not be surprising at all considering lack of new chapters. I would suggest not to.

If you have any questions for her specifically, a message through DA would probably just be the easiest.

On 4/2/2017 at 11:07 PM, Matt Bellamy said:

Most of the Guyver artwork on my DA page is from the Warrior Guyver fanfiction or from "The Great War of the Guyvers" fanfcition (and are labeled as such)... But the two are connected in some ways... So basically yes, the majority of the artwork are fan fiction characters.

I joined back in 1998 when "The Team" was technically just two people, Sully and Zeo1234, and I believe there was only 1 or 2 parts of the fanfic on the page. Only meant it as a small mention in my own fanfiction, but ended up being a lot more once we got chatting about Guyver ( protip: I love talking about Guyver. Hard to get me to shut up). That was 19 years ago. I was 17.

We are old.

So I wasn't an "Original member", in the strictest sense, but we all doubt it would have gotten as big as it did if we hadn't teamed up.

I visited all the Guyver sites back then... There wasn't much info at the time, and there was no message boards like this... at all, during that time... Until David Carpenter/Evilfx ( bioweapons.com ) put up a simple one... But up until that point it was all about guestbooks. And there was only one really good place to go for information called "Stars Guyver Page", which eventually had info up to volume 15, and all it had was written synopsis.

We eventually opened up our own phpbb forum when they came out, and for a while it was pretty successful. We had our ups and downs with staff and members, and during that time, theguyver.net was created... but what really killed it, was our board had gotten hacked a few times...and lots of data was lost... And eventually was kinda just left to rot... But that was due to numerous factors, including waning interest in Guyver due to what seemed like inactivity from Japan... but also life.

I still poked around the site and theguyver.net over the years... Which eventually took on the new name of japan-legend.com as the majority of members/staff who were fans of Guyver were declining so much... And we had taken a liking to Japanese Tokusatsu shows ( Sentai, Kamen Rider ect...)

And here we are today. The last bastion of English speaking Guyver fandom ( the Guyver still seems pretty popular in Russia though. http://guyver-world.ru/ seems to have more traffic than us), except for occasional random posts on other forums.

There's 19 years of history wrapped up.

----------------------------

As for convincing Lucithea to come here?

You can always try, but again, as she has mentioned, she is not good with english at all, and judging by her output of art right now, Guyver seems to be on the back burner for her right now... And would not be surprising at all considering lack of new chapters. I would suggest not to.

If you have any questions for her specifically, a message through DA would probably just be the easiest.

I'm familiar with a few of those sites. Unfortunately I was unable to be a part of them back then. I was too young, and didn't have a computer. I did eventually get one, and was able to visit some of them. I did frequent theguyver.net as well. I wasn't a member though. Japan-Legend is the first Guyver fan site I joined. As a Guyver fan I call it home, and the Advocacy family. :)

It's extremely hard to find anyone who's familiar with Guyver nowadays. It's refreshing to be able to talk to a fellow fan every now and then. Like you it's hard for me to stop talking about Guyver once I get going. It was bad enough that someone wrote in my yearbook to stop bugging them about it. Good times! 

Guyver is still strong in Russia? Is it even being published there? I should really keep tabs on where Guyver is still being released. 

May I ask how you became a Guyver fan?

In regards to "Warrior Guyver" and "Great War of the Guyvers" were the stories ever finished? 

Do you like any Toku series? If so what are your favorites? 

Guyver is still strong in Russia? Is it even being published there? I should really keep tabs on where Guyver is still being released. 

Well, to clarify, I'm not saying it's popular in Russia, just that there seems to be more active Russian fans than in comparison to here.

Although it is actually still being released officially in Italian. Lots of fans there too. They just got book 32 released ( due to early numbering issues it is actually vol 44 for them). There is some pretty hardcore fans from there.( if you are on the Guyver World Facebook group, you can see what I mean)

May I ask how you became a Guyver fan?

It was one of the first "real" or "non broadcast" anime I ever watched. I rented a bunch of stuff with a friend one weekend, which included the 6 episodes of the OAV ( they didn't even have the other 6), and they blew me away due to the animation style/quality, the plot and the music (the original Guyver theme is on permanent running in any playlist of mine)... and of course violence ( I was probably 15 or 16 at the time). Before then I had only seen what was on TV... Things like Robotech, Voltron, Dragonball, Dragonball Z and Sailor Moon... And they were edited to all hell.

At the time, for me, it was one of the most original things I had seen... and didn't help that some of the other stuff we rented was only mediocre stuff. Those 6 eps of the OAV were easily some of the best stuff in terms of quality at the time, unless you went for theatrical features.

Plus, I am also an "Iron Man Hipster" (ie I liked it before it was cool and mainstream) and have always loved powered armor... And the Guyver was an insane and bloody version of that. And it just stuck.

In regards to "Warrior Guyver" and "Great War of the Guyvers" were the stories ever finished?

Sadly, no. We have come back to start working on them again, but a lot of it is rewrites of really bad writing, plotting and style in the older stuff... But new stuff will be coming too, eventually.

After all this time, we realize that no one but a small number of people even care, but we're only doing this for ourselves at this point, as we still find it fun and entertaining. So if anyone likes what we are doing at this point, it's all bonus!

Do you like any Toku series? If so what are your favorites?

I used to really like the Kamen Rider series... But ever since 000's, I have not liked any of the series. I liked seasn 1 of Garo as well, but have not really cared for later seasons. But Kamen Ride Blade, Faiz and Kabuto were some of my favorites.

On 4/4/2017 at 2:07 PM, Matt Bellamy said:

Well, to clarify, I'm not saying it's popular in Russia, just that there seems to be more active Russian fans than in comparison to here.

Although it is actually still being released officially in Italian. Lots of fans there too. They just got book 32 released ( due to early numbering issues it is actually vol 44 for them). There is some pretty hardcore fans from there.( if you are on the Guyver World Facebook group, you can see what I mean)

It was one of the first "real" or "non broadcast" anime I ever watched. I rented a bunch of stuff with a friend one weekend, which included the 6 episodes of the OAV ( they didn't even have the other 6), and they blew me away due to the animation style/quality, the plot and the music (the original Guyver theme is on permanent running in any playlist of mine)... and of course violence ( I was probably 15 or 16 at the time). Before then I had only seen what was on TV... Things like Robotech, Voltron, Dragonball, Dragonball Z and Sailor Moon... And they were edited to all hell.

At the time, for me, it was one of the most original things I had seen... and didn't help that some of the other stuff we rented was only mediocre stuff. Those 6 eps of the OAV were easily some of the best stuff in terms of quality at the time, unless you went for theatrical features.

Plus, I am also an "Iron Man Hipster" (ie I liked it before it was cool and mainstream) and have always loved powered armor... And the Guyver was an insane and bloody version of that. And it just stuck.

Sadly, no. We have come back to start working on them again, but a lot of it is rewrites of really bad writing, plotting and style in the older stuff... But new stuff will be coming too, eventually.

After all this time, we realize that no one but a small number of people even care, but we're only doing this for ourselves at this point, as we still find it fun and entertaining. So if anyone likes what we are doing at this point, it's all bonus!

I used to really like the Kamen Rider series... But ever since 000's, I have not liked any of the series. I liked seasn 1 of Garo as well, but have not really cared for later seasons. But Kamen Ride Blade, Faiz and Kabuto were some of my favorites.

Just checked it out the public group. There's a lot of cool stuff! 

It seems a lot of us started with the old tapes. Rented the first tape from Blockbuster. I watched that thing for days! I can't pick just one thing that got me hooked. I fell in love with the series as a whole. I started reading and collecting the manga soon afterwards. It was dark times when when I found out the English language manga was canceled. My love for Guyver never dwindled though. If anything it's only gotten stronger over the years. :)

Powered suits are the best! 

Oh man! Now I'm excited! Are the old chapters archived here? I'd like to take a look if so! :D

I didn't care for OOOs either. The last series I enjoyed was Kamen Rider W. It's one of my favorites. The others are Faiz, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, Black, and RX. Kamen Rider Black is definitely my top Rider. King Stone Flash! Rider Punch! Rider Kick! 

Season one of Garo was phenomenal. The rest don't do it for me.