Sign in to follow this  
Masamune

Anyone else love OVA 12?

Hello, JL. It's been awhile.

After the dip in production values for the second half of the series, I'm glad they were able to cap it off in style. There were still a couple of minor flubs, but overall I really loved the art style for this particular episode and the animation quality was much improved. It definitely looks like this OVA was handed to a different set of animators. I wish the whole series had been in this style. Sho has to contend with the vengeful Aptom who's immune to the Guyver's arsenal but through sheer force of will Sho manages to overcome his formidable opponent and win the day. This fight was awesome and it's the one episode (other than OVA4 ' Attack Of The Hyper Zoanoid Team 5') that I find myself revisiting most. Also, boobies. 

On the side note, one thing I felt the OVAs excelled at was portraying the badassery of the Guyver. Take OVA 11 for example, when Agito has to take on three Enzyme IIs. While the odds are heavily stacked against him, he still puts up a decent fight before he's eventually taken down. In contrast, Sho or Agito take one hit in the TV series and they're on the ropes. I don't know if it's because of budget restraints or what, but many of the battles in the TV series lacked that punch. A lot of the fights lacked coordination and the expository dialogue would hurt the fluidity of the action. That's not to say that the OVAs were perfect by any means. Like I said, the second half had a stuttering start, but OVAs 4,5,6 and 11 & 12 had some killer fight scenes.  

My favorite was episode 11. Watching murakami transform was amazing. Episode 12 kind of felt like a rushed ending after opening up the story up with the protozoalord. It was a great ova series in all, despite, what I can only guess at, the rushed animation midway through like you mentioned.

• Like 1

While the first 6 episodes of the OAV were simply amazing, and have great animation, even by some of today's standards... The second half really suffered from a much lower budget and what looks like swapping of animation studios.

But episodes 11 and 12 seemed to be done by the same people who did the first 6, but still on a smaller budget, so it lacked the dynamic coloring and shading of the first 6... But since both episodes were not only very important plot moments but also well animated, it certainly makes them stand out a lot more.

• Like 1

I find episodes 7 and 8 suffered the most.

I love it though. It's my favourite Guyver adaption and has stuck with me forever, especially the soundtrack which I still listen to.

• Like 2

Yes, those two episodes are shockingly bad.

The dub took some 'interesting' liberties, as well. Like when Sho susses Aptom's a fake Guyver, it deliberately zooms in on his missing control metal, but for some reason in the dub it's Aptom's broken vibration blade that tips him off. Weird.

I've got the DVD set of the OVA.  You can painfully tell in the second half that they switched hands in the animation department (as an artist, I cringe every time I see the proportion mistakes). 

I have a soft spot for the OVA. It was my first exposure to Guyver way back in 1996. Back then I could only find the first 2 tapes. It wasn't until relatively recently that i watched all 12. Yes, some were... sub par to say the least. But those first few episodes rivaled the 2005 series in its entirety to me. I now have all 12 of the US edition VHS tapes, complete with the trading cards as well as the DVDs. 

• Like 2

Just sticking with the dub, another oddity is how Gary Michaels (RIP) voiced Zxtole in the original US Renditions dub, but for some reason Manga Entertainment used a different voice actor for Zxtole in OVA 4 but kept Michaels for OVAs 5 & 6. I'm not sure if Zxtole's lines were even re-recorded, although they did at least change his horrible zoanoid voice. In the original dub he sounded like a high-pitched robot. Anyway, the guy in OVA 4 was a better fit for Zxtole, and I always thought it was cheap how overused Gary Michaels was (he voiced Lisker, Zerbebuth, Zxtole AND Aptom!)

Edited by Masamune

On 3/20/2017 at 9:06 PM, Masamune said:

The dub took some 'interesting' liberties, as well. Like when Sho susses Aptom's a fake Guyver, it deliberately zooms in on his missing control metal, but for some reason in the dub it's Aptom's broken vibration blade that tips him off. Weird.

I didn't realize they changed the dialog for the dub, does Sho comment on the control medal in the JP version?

I never really thought too much about it, but I suppose that scene does play out a bit oddly. I always assumed that the zoom in on his fake CM was for the audience and Sho was also aware but was now just aware of his blade breaking... But I guess that doesn't really make any sense since his CM is clearly fake from the beginning. Interesting!

9 hours ago, Bio-Boosted Dude said:

I didn't realize they changed the dialog for the dub, does Sho comment on the control medal in the JP version? 

Yup, that's the weird thing. "You don't have a control metal. You're not a Guyver after all!"

On 19/03/2017 at 3:03 PM, Matt Bellamy said:

While the first 6 episodes of the OAV were simply amazing, and have great animation, even by some of today's standards... The second half really suffered from a much lower budget and what looks like swapping of animation studios.

But episodes 11 and 12 seemed to be done by the same people who did the first 6, but still on a smaller budget, so it lacked the dynamic coloring and shading of the first 6... But since both episodes were not only very important plot moments but also well animated, it certainly makes them stand out a lot more.

That is true.  The 2nd 6 parts of the OVA did suffer quite a bit in animation quality.  Episodes 11 and 12 did have a bit of better animation quality but the coloring was horrible.

I think episode 10 has the worst animation, the one with Takashiro. At least 11 and 12 redeemed them a bit. All I can really say about the change in character designs is they look a bit closer to their manga origins. Mizuki is no longer chubby faced.

The animation might not have being the best throughout all the 12 epps. But if not for that series I'd have not being introduced to Guyver so it automatically has a place other Guyver content will never get in terms of importance for me.

I still watch it again from time to time, it's still fun to watch but I do prefer the 2005 version for story.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2017 at 5:06 AM, Masamune said:

Yes, those two episodes are shockingly bad.

I think it was a translation issue.

While the dip in animation quality in Episodes 6 - 11, I still prefer the 12 episode OVA rather than the latest anime series.  The 2005 anime version is a bit to PG13 for me.