Sign in to follow this  
Limit Breaker Goku

Manga Translation

Ok I was just wondering if anyone has any idea were I could get a manga translated form me. This is strictly for personal use.

For Christmas I have ordered the manga Blue Hole by Yukinobu Hoshino.

Blue-Hole-01-kodansha.jpg 

As some may or may not know, I love dinosaurs to the point that a large section of my dvd and comic collections is given over to dino themed content. However from what I've personally looked up, when it comes to manga there are little or no purely dinosaur themed manga out there. A fact I find rather odd and what dose exist is normally purely gag based or a minor part of a larger fiction such as Gantz. The only pre-historic beast themed manga that I know of and own is Cage of Eden, which is all about creatures that came after the dinosaurs like pre-historic mammals and birds.

Blue Hole is basicly about a group of people finding an underwater cave that leads to a dinosaur world. The series is only 2 vols long and has never had an english release (although some how the is a French one) their are little to no scans online, no raws and while it dose seem to have been translated by someone, that was a while ago and the links are long dead. This is also a squeal series called Blue World which i will be getting in the future.. 

While I can enjoy the manga purely from a visual stand point I would like to be able to read it if possible and I'd be willing to pay (as long as the price is reasonable). That being said I will have to wait till next month before I'll have enough money to spar on such a project.

So has anyone got any idea's about what I should do?

181631120_9d9d614f7f_b.jpg

181631118_205cabada1_b.jpg

Blue_Hole_manga_panel.jpgTrou-bleu-ext-1-casterman.jpg

181631116_ba84d04957_b.jpg

Gazham    184

The French version would be translatable quite easily by Google translate in to English if you had the time. I can pick out some of it using the small amount of French I remember from school. Someone on the translation team may have some tips about the whole process

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazham said:

The French version would be translatable quite easily by Google translate in to English if you had the time. I can pick out some of it using the small amount of French I remember from school. Someone on the translation team may have some tips about the whole process

Good idea! I've checked and I can get a hold of the French version. That translation would be easier. Thank you. 

Ive never done scanlations but I'm ok with just creating a word document and putting the translations there but if the translators have any advice I'll check with them. 

Blue Hole should be fine then, Blue World is only Japanese as far a I know so that will be harder.

I've finally got the time to site down and so this. Its just the synopsis but its a beginning.

The Blue Hole

Synopsis

The Blue Hole at the bottom of the sea leads to the world 65 million years ago! It is the world of the Coelacanths, the Quetzlcoatlus, the Dinosaurs... Its an extraordinary discovery for the modern era, provided that you can to find a way to return.

Edited by Lord Quitela

I'm only a few pages in and things are getting interesting. While most of the information can be translated more or less word for word with little alteration for it to make sense in english, some sentences are presenting a real problem. My favorites so far being:

"Curiously, it is from another fact that one of these "Cursed Seas", located off the Comoros, has continued to receive special attention."

"That this is happening in the triangle of Bermuda, seems to be the ideal place where evolve these mysterious creatures come from."

While I can understand what is being said in context, it presents the interesting task of trying to write a more coherent sentence while trying not to lose the original's information. While I understood that this was always the case, doing it yourself gives you a lot more respect for other's hard work.

While it's not caused a problem yet, the fact that I'm trying to translate a french translation of a  japans manga, which was published in 1991 and translated to french in 1996 if my copy is to be believed, might just throw a few other issues my way. Also I'm having to deal with misspelling! Turns out the French translator misspelled Gombessa (another name for Coelacanth) as Gonbessa!

On that note if anyone knows this word "Rouskas", and what it should mean in this context:

"It is also said that monsters, the Rouskas, would hide in the underwater depths"

... or what the word should be, it would be a big help.

However this is turning out to be really, really fun. 

Aslo we finally have a name for our protagonist. Her name is Gaia and she is from Comoros (which means Dark Blue, coincidence?) off the coast of Africa.

trou_bleu_02.jpg

Edited by Lord Quitela

Here in the UK Poaching (Illegally Hunting/Catching) Fish can land you a £5000 fine if your caught and the biggest fine for the act ever given was $15,000 for Poaching Yellow Perch and selling them. With that in mind, if you ever get nicked for Coelacanth Poaching, something thats pretty hard to deny since normal fisherman would not touch them with a barge pole even on a bad day, you are quite frankly F####D.

Your also in the same boat Gaia finds herself in during this story.

Edited by Lord Quitela

Ok so I have full translated the first chapter if the manga, both literally and then artistically.

I do not plan to post these online for free. I stand by what we do here and do not want to be responsible for costing the Arthur money....or landing myself a unwanted legal headache.

To give the real credit were it is due. The Arthur. 

Blue Hole was written by Yukinobu Hoshino, a, form what I can tell, lesser known manga creator (for us westerners at any rate) who has enjoyed some success. His first work was published back in 1975 and his last publication was in 2010. From what I can find, he's last recorded work was a ten part series that was printed in Big Comics magazine. Initially, Hoshino's artistic style was similar to that of Mikiya Mochizuki and had humoristic touches, but moved on to the gekiga style. He is known for using the gekiga style to create detailed and serious science fiction stories based on American and European SF novels but creating a completely different storyline. He had also drawn various works based on ancient and pre-historic histories.

By far his biggest claim to fame was having his work acknowledged by the British Museum and was on display during 5 November 2009 to 3 January 2010. The Museum also published some of his manga, with his final work from Big Comics being reprinted in the British Museum Press.

You can read more about him here: http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/hoshino_yukinobu

Edited by Lord Belmod

Gazham    184

Did you manage to finish translating the whole thing? An enjoyable experience I would imagine

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Gazham said:

Did you manage to finish translating the whole thing? An enjoyable experience I would imagine

I've currently finished my direct translation of the fourth chapter and am going to do the "readable" translation of the chapter tomorrow. 

While not hard, it is time consuming. Its become a hobby that I do every two nights or so as I have to make room for other stuff. Hell once I'm done there are a few french comics I've become interested in that I plan to work on afterwards.

Its very interesting as it brings a whole other level of enjoyment to the story as I have to work to understand it, rather then just pick up an read.

On a side note we are at our first dinosaurs now with Maiasaura and Tyrannosaurs Rex. Funnily enough stuff relating to the prehistoric creatures has proven to be my more prominent edits as well as personally annoying lol. Quetzalcoatlus is called a "dinosaur bird" (that got corrected in a heart beat), Maiasaura were called Maiasaurus and the biggest inaccuracy which I cannot alter due to how its used is the idea that coelacanths are though to be fish that bring luck to fishermen when in reality any fishermen worth his salt would not touch them as their meat is horrible and makes you ill. 

Getting to know the caste is rather odd as many of them are not mentioned by name until several chapters in. For example the Captain Gaia meets in the pro-log chapter is named Fox but you never hear him called that till chapter 3.

But really this is all part of whats makes this such an enjoyable experience. Its also made me a big fan of Yukinobu Hoshino's work and I've also bin spending time hunting down his manga.

Edit: Talking about it has got me working on it now lol!

Edited by Sutekh The Destroyer
  • Like 1