Sign in to follow this  
Chernaudi

Women in Guyver: thoughs and opinions.

Hi everyone.

This is my first post here, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or opinions of the women in Guyver.

I'll be basing this partly off canon, partly off my fan fic work, and off my own thoughts and observations which form the basis of how I'll portray such characters in my fan fic and how I see them in the canon of the manga.

Now for the actual topic. I'll be touching upon several things and how they apply to the major female characters in Guyver, especially the protagonist. I believe that about everyone on here who've seen certain of my discussions will know that I'm a big fan of both Shizu and Natsuki. And I also love discussing female characters, and I have my own views on what's feminine and otherwise.

The biggest thing that I like about the female protagonist in Guyver is that they're more than window dressing or sex toys. I know that Japanese manga and anime and other stuff like that, where such things are criticized for treating women badly and portraying them as sex objects. Though most of the women in Guyver are very attractive, the don't just run around naked, at least not without reason. It's not like Mizuki wanted to have Aptom cut her clothes off when he was threatening to kill her. And Shizu in the processing tank? Well, kinda inconvenient to wear clothing in there, and in her battle form, she sheds her clothes anyways--kinda hard to have clothes that fit a 5'5"-5'6" tall girl that weights 110-115 pounds fit something that becomes 7 feet tall and weighs over 260 lbs. And, we haven't seen Natsuki naked, at least yet, in any context. So even though Yoshiki Takaya was a hentai/erotic manga artist before he created Guyver, that argument doesn't hold water--there's a reason why chicks are naked, well, except for a degree for Valkyria, but she had her origins in the Out of Control OVA, and we all know what happened there...

Also, especially with Shizu and Natsuki, there's a bit of a tomboy/girly girl complex going on. Me, personally, I think that Natsuki is pretty feminine. Just because of her hairstyle, love of sci-fi stuff and occasionally how she dresses, doesn't mean that she's not a femme. And with Shizu, she's overtly feminine, but she also has an aggressiveness when she's pissed that's not conventionally feminine (Natsuki and even Mizuki also have a temper), and she knows more than how to clean house (conventional sense) and other "womanly" duties.

These are points to start discussions and some examples of my views on the subject. I know that a lot of these things are subjective because everyone has a different view on these things. I'd be happy to discuss more if this takes off.

So, discuss away on your views of women in Guyver ;)

Hello, and welcome to the forum... we're not anywhere near as active as the Japan-Legend forum that you also posted this topic on but give it time and there will be at least some replies to your query...

My own opinion is women in the official Manga are still under utilized... Though, the series is a bit aware of this, like when Balcus first became aware of Shizu's Zoalord form and basically expressed surprise, possibly a bit of shock, that she was a woman... Though, it's understandable coming from Balcus since he's over 500 years old and probably still holds onto old world sensibilities and since he's the primary one behind the zoaforming that it can also possibly explain the general lack of more female zoaforms as they are basically Chronos army and most of the Zoalords have been around longer than modern ideals of equality have been in effect...

Though, there is a question of whether females are harder to Zoaform and the possible increased danger of rendering subjects infertile but that's just speculation...

Anyway, like the fan-fic for this site shows, many of us would want much more significant roles for female characters...

Hello, and welcome to the forum... we're not anywhere near as active as the Japan-Legend forum that you also posted this topic on but give it time and there will be at least some replies to your query...

My own opinion is women in the official Manga are still under utilized... Though, the series is a bit aware of this, like when Balcus first became aware of Shizu's Zoalord form and basically expressed surprise, possibly a bit of shock, that she was a woman... Though, it's understandable coming from Balcus since he's over 500 years old and probably still holds onto old world sensibilities and since he's the primary one behind the zoaforming that it can also possibly explain the general lack of more female zoaforms as they are basically Chronos army and most of the Zoalords have been around longer than modern ideals of equality have been in effect...

Though, there is a question of whether females are harder to Zoaform and the possible increased danger of rendering subjects infertile but that's just speculation...

Anyway, like the fan-fic for this site shows, many of us would want much more significant roles for female characters...

Yolo so yeah I got to go with zeo on this one I'd like to see a more active role with the ladies of the guyver world but it could be a while. I'm still waiting for the day when something more interesting happens to mizuki and the other none bio weapon characters. Are more then cheerleaders and hero bait but meh it will happen eventually, maybe even ol allen will be proven right and we get a guyver mizuki. Unfortunatly with the release pace as well as story pacing of the manga that will be along ways away.