Sign in to follow this  
Azaar

Sneak Peek: Preparations (Part I)

A little something that should tide you over, and show that I am still working up the overall second story.

Preparations (Part I)

Disclaimer: This is a fan-fic based on characters created by Yoshiki Takaya and contains violent situations with adult language. All other characters are created by Brian O’Sullivan, et al for the Warrior Guyver fan-fiction website.

August 26, 2007 -- Northern Washington DC -- A Seemingly Abandoned Industrial Estate

“For crying out loud, Sean, can't you keep the damage down? These things are a pain to rebuild.”

In the year since Gabe had been reunited with Cori and had gotten to know Sean, the trio had become a common sight together. While Cori watched over the combat tests between Sean and the Red Type battle armors, Gabe was the one fixing the armors before joining Cori to look over the test footage more closely and analyze the results. It had been interesting, to say the least, in what had resulted: Gabe would inevitably try to introduce something new to see how it worked, not only helping to push the limits of the Red Type armors, but also to keep Sean on his toes.

Needless to say, more often than not those tests meant a lot of work for Gabe. Case in point: the wrecked remains of the Red Type battle armor that Gabe had been controlling via remote, which he was now standing over and shaking his head. The torso of the armor, which housed the ****pit, was bisected vertically by Guyver US, courtesy of his vibrational swords -- an instant death for the pilot, had there been one. The legs were still standing, in spite of significant damage to the armor and chassis, but the rest of the exo-armor was on the floor, leaving a trail of exposed wiring and littering the area with armor fragments and smaller components.

“It's not my fault the Red Type armors weren't meant to fight someone like me,” Guyver US’s mechanically-distorted voice replied. A moment later, there was a sound of displaced air as the bio-armor retracted, and Sean came over to stand beside Gabe. “Still, though, it was a nice workout.”

“Like you even broke a sweat,” Gabe muttered. “Hell, these things were never meant for military application. They're supposed to be a next-generation space suit for NASA. Repurposing them for combat duty...” His voice trailed off. “I know Carter and Dr. Drake need every bit of firepower they can get, but the hydraulics and armor alone limit the overall effectiveness.” He knelt down to pick up one of the armor fragments. “This is supposed to be good enough for a tank, Sean, and you sliced right through it like a hot knife through butter.”

“The Zoanoids won't be able to do that. These tests are really unfair for you and the Red armors. We knew that going in.” Sean knelt down beside Gabe, glancing for a moment at the observation control booth where Cori was gathering all the data before looking back at Gabe again. “By the way, there's something I've been meaning to ask you.”

“Fire away.”

Sean paused for a moment, then dove right in. “Why do you call Cori 'Sis' all the time?”

Gabe glanced over at Sean. “She told you about my parents, right? What happened to them?”

“Drunk driver hit them head-on. Killed them both instantly.”

“Right.” Gabe tossed the armor fragment over towards the still-standing legs of the exo-armor. “When that happened, Marcus and Cori became the closest thing to family I had left. Marcus essentially became a second father.” He looked back at the booth where Cori was hard at work. “Of course, that meant that Cori was adopted as my annoying little sister.”

“I heard that!” came Cori's voice over the intercom.

“Now you've done it,” Sean said wryly, though there was a bit of a grin on his face.

“That's all right,” Gabe replied. “She'll forgive me as soon as I make a batch of my lasagna. She knows who makes the best on base, and it ain't the military cooks here.”

“Very funny. You still owe me that recipe, you know.”

“Not my fault you keep forgetting to ask me about it, Sis. Besides, you kept disappearing for months at a time. You really need to quit doing that. Otherwise I'm not doing my job as your adopted big brother.”

“Save it. Get up here, both of you. We've got data to crunch.”

==============================================================================================

A couple of minutes later, the trio sat in the observation booth while Cori replayed the battle footage for them. The battle was just as lopsided as Sean's earlier words had proclaimed: forty-two seconds had passed from start to finish, with Guyver US making use of his vibrational swords and infrared laser orb, as well as a few solid kicks and punches that actually put some dents in the Red exo-armor's armor panels. Finally, the top half of the exo-armor was severed through the ****pit with a solid hit from the vibrational swords, and Guyver US had delivered one last roundhouse kick to knock the torso and arms off the rest of the body.

“Sean does have a point, Gabe,” Cori finally said. “These tests aren't fair, even with all the effort you've put into trying to make it more of a challenge. What we really need is to test these things against some Zoanoids and let the Red Types duke it out with them.”

“Good luck trying to convince Carter of that,” Sean said. “I think he plans to hold tight and stockpile as much as he can before making his move. There's something to be said for making preparations.”

“There is that,” Gabe finally admitted, leaning back in his chair. “And I know this testing is flawed, at least in gauging the performance of the exo-armor itself. But it does give us some insights into just how powerful the Guyver unit is, when activated.” He frowned a little bit. “It doesn't mean I have to like it, but there's only so much that can be done right now, at least with the available technology.”

Cori saw Gabe's expression suddenly grow thoughtful. “What are you thinking of?”

Gabe glanced up. “Umm, just thinking of possibilities.”

=============================================================================================

From General Carter's office, both the general and Dr. Drake were observing the same footage, as well as listening in on the trio's conversation. “He's wrecked seven Red Type armors in testing,” Carter commented. “I think we're going to have to begin with the alternative. We can't afford to keep rebuilding the exo-armors like this.”

“Agreed.” Dr. Drake leaned back in his chair. “Though I have to admit, Gabriel's done some things I had never originally considered. His work with these tests are why I've already begun drafting a new battle armor design: the Blue Type. Hopefully with some of the engineering advancements I've been keeping track of, it will boost the armor's efficiency in combat.”

“Fair enough.” Carter looked at the screen closely. “Kelso's deep in thought. Thinking of perhaps the next modification to the Red Type?”

“I don't think so,” Dr. Drake disagreed, gazing at the screen as well. “He's not happy about what he's seen the Guyver to be capable of, and he knows he hasn't seen everything that Sean's unit is capable of doing.” He grew quiet for a moment. “I'll talk with him later, pick his brain and let him know that further Red Type testing against Sean is off-limits for the time being.”

Just to let everyone know: I'm wrapping up Preparations (Part I) soon (hopefully in the next couple of days), and right now it's looking to be a three-part story that ranges from about a year after the events of Inception up through the end of Seven Days (Part 7), if not perhaps a little longer. I'll be coordinating mainly with Sully to get some things figured out, insofar as his intentions for the rewrites for Revenge up through Seven Days (Part 6) goes, so that I can be writing in line with what Sully has planned. Hopefully, I'll also have a chance to chat some with Matt about a couple of things as well. At the moment, however, I'm gonna be focusing predominantly on Gabe and the journey he's taking in the years from X-Day on through Seven Days, and how he makes his preparations to ultimately become Carter's choice to help retrieve the Stellar Warrior Unit with Sean / WG-US.

Preparations (Part II) will show a slightly different view of the events that originally introduced Gabe, Yuri and Dorian in Time War (Part 5) -- chiefly in that the scenes showing them will reflect Gabe's personal perspective on the Cyber Guyver/Guyver 2 Female attack on the ACTF, as well as the aftermath. And that's... about all the hint you're gonna get right now. :twisted:

That said, I hope you're all enjoying things so far.

Edit: Okay, I lied. I managed to finish Preparations (Part I) earlier this afternoon, and got a page or so into Preparations (Part II). So much for my NaNoWriMo... except I'm still trying to write that as well. The writing bug, it seems, has bitten me pretty hard.

Just a quick little update for those interested: I've been adding several things to my original outline. What was originally a three-part story that was slated to take Gabe from post-Inception/pre-Union of the Guyvers through the beginning of Story 10 (wherein Gabe is bonded with the Stellar Warrior Unit) has changed -- significantly. Now, I'm looking at four parts thus far, and that's just going to carry me through the events of Rescue (assuming Sully sticks with Gabe showing up and playing a role in the Rescue rewrite).

"Surely you can't be serious, Azaar?" you might ask. And my answer: "Yes, I brainstorm too much for my own good... and I'm still brainstorming all the more. And don't call me Shirley." *

Granted, a lot of what I'm angling to write will depend on Sully's plans for the rewrite between the end of Time War and Seven Days Part 6 (and to make sure, he already has the revised four-part outline for her perusal), but I do have the first two parts of Preparations done now, and working my way slowly through part three. I'm leery of pushing too far ahead with what I'm writing, but I enjoy writing enough so that when Sully lets me know that something is clashing with his plans, I can make the changes I need to keep in line with his vision.

* Sorry, had to insert the obligatory Airplane! joke in there. Now you all know how corny my sense of humor can be.

Hi Azaar

I've not had a chance to read this but will be getting up to date with stuff over the next 2 weeks (FREE TIME!!!!!!)

Last weekend any free time I'd got was used to kill a bot invasion that hit the messageboard. It's now up to date and the bots deleted.

I noticed your other forum thread about what had happened, and knew you were dealing with that. No worries.

I'm not normally one to "necro" a thread unless it can't be helped. That said:

I've been tweaking Preparations (Part I) and readying it to send to Sully. Some things I decided I didn't like -- for instance, Gabe was originally going to learn Krav Maga in the original draft, but I felt that for someone like Gabe, who isn't exactly meant to be a brute-force type but instead more finesse, Krav Maga was not the right choice. So I did tweak that some. I've also done something else: a series of journal entries to give a bit more "behind-the-scenes" into Gabe's personality and how it will evolve over the course of the WG fan-fiction.

If I'm fortunate, I should have it wrapped up in the next couple of days and get it sent in so that Sully can read over it and get it ready for addition to the site.

True to my word, the completed rewrite of Preparations (Part I) has been submitted via email to Sully. This is gonna cover from about a year after X-Day through the first half of Union of the Guyvers. Hopefully everyone will enjoy the read, once it's added to the site.

Sully posted Preparations (Part I) in the Character Stories section yesterday, so... new stuff to read. Hope everyone enjoys. In the meantime, on to rewriting Part II.